AZ Roll Call.....

JRinAZ
on 6/24/10 2:27 pm - Layton, UT
Hiya AZ friends!

Are you out there?  Our board has slowed down!

How about a short (or long if you wish) little note on where you're at on your journey?  What's new? 

Is everyone out there at goal and just crazy busy with life?

Flag Wave

JRinAZ
on 6/25/10 4:00 am - Layton, UT
OK...no nibbles so I'll jump in!  LOL!

I had a medically necessary revision from E-Rny to a Duodenal Switch on May 12th.  At 6 weeks post-op, I'm finally feeling human again and am learning to manage with my new tummy.  Unlike the Rny where you felt "full" with a pain in the chest almost immediately; I have a delayed full that hits almost too late and seems to make me full all over!!!  It's going to take a big learning curve but I'm loving my new restriction after not having any for almost 5 years!

I had gained weight to go into my revision and have lost 13 pounds so far.  I have about 10 to 15 more I'd like to take off so am trying to figure out how many protein drinks I should have vs how much protein with food and am trying to sneak in carbs and sugar when I know I shouldn't!!!! 

I've been searching through the low carb, graduate and off-track support sites to rally support for my commitment to go low carb and get back on track with healthier food choices.  (sigh)  Food addictions aren't cured with ANY weight loss surgery!!!

I'm taking a leave of absence from work and am wanting to reinvent myself as a strong body who exercises with passion.  Believe it - Be it!!!

Anyone who works out at L.A. Fitness and wants a workout pal?  I'd love to make some exercise dates!!!

I am going to jump back onto the support group circuit and get to as many as I can.  I stayed at goal weight last year, survived my malnutrition and kept focused on better health by staying in the support group game!!!!

Life is crazy with highs and lows in the economy and "stuff" that happens with friends and family.  It's rough to keep on target all the time so I'm trying to convince myself that "baby steps" is acceptable in hopes it can keep me sane.

So, that's my update. 

How's everyone else doing?

Joyce
beckipoohbear
on 6/25/10 4:01 am - AZ
I'm still out there!!  Living my life and loving it!

I'm doing great, two years out, maintaining within 5 pounds of my goal weight, rocking my labs, and I've completed two half marathons, training for my 3rd and looking at a full marathon next year!

That's the short it...can't wait to hear from the rest of AZ on how they are doing!!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

JRinAZ
on 7/7/10 9:33 am - Layton, UT
On June 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM Pacific Time, beckipoohbear wrote:
I'm still out there!!  Living my life and loving it!

I'm doing great, two years out, maintaining within 5 pounds of my goal weight, rocking my labs, and I've completed two half marathons, training for my 3rd and looking at a full marathon next year!

That's the short it...can't wait to hear from the rest of AZ on how they are doing!!

Rebecca

Congrats to you Rebecca on your super success with your WL goals and your exercise goals!!!  ...Wondering if you work out with a specific program that helps you train for the marathons?  How did you work up to that point?  Did you/ do you have a personal trainer or just hit the gym on your own?

I've got months of strength training ahead of me before I can get into my real exercise goals but am just wondering how others went about "jumping in" to their exercise success.

Do you have a blog or any useful websites you might suggest?

Thanks for inspiring!!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

beckipoohbear
on 7/9/10 12:13 pm - AZ
 I have pages from a book my sister leant me that had several programs: a walk/walk faster program, then a run/walk program, then a run farther program etc.  They each last about 12-16 weeks and were great.  Then I just found some 1/2 marathon training programs online.  Hal Higgdon is a big one that alot of people use.  I also know a lot of beginners use the couch 2 5K program to initially start running.

I never did use a trainer, do it all on my own and I don't run at the gym, the treadmill would bore me, it's out on the open road for me (which right now means really super early runs!).  I do need to add in some strength training if I want to do a marathon but the machines and weights at the gym intimidate me.

Best of luck!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

dbuckeye
on 6/25/10 6:58 am - Sun City, AZ
I'm at 13 months out.  At my first stand still after loosing 125 lbs.  I'm starting to panic that the last 30 will not go off.  Any suggestions are welcome.

My labs aren't  doing real good.  I'm working really hard to get them up.

My Wednesday morning support group is off and running well.  This last week was really awesome.  I'm so pleased.

Debbie

CERTIFIED SUPPORT GROUP LEADER
                         SUN CITY

[email protected]

JRinAZ
on 7/7/10 9:40 am - Layton, UT
On June 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM Pacific Time, dbuckeye wrote:
I'm at 13 months out.  At my first stand still after loosing 125 lbs.  I'm starting to panic that the last 30 will not go off.  Any suggestions are welcome.

My labs aren't  doing real good.  I'm working really hard to get them up.

My Wednesday morning support group is off and running well.  This last week was really awesome.  I'm so pleased.

Debbie

Hey there Debbie!
How about sending your lab results to Michelle (
www.vitalady.com) for her opinion on things?  I've been following her advice and been able to keep my labs in the decent range lately.  It takes commitment for sure and consistency with drawing them every 3 to 6 months.

I'm hoping to drive out for your Weds morning group this month!

Congrats on your amazing weight loss!!!!  Sometimes those last few are like chiseling stone off of our bodies!!  LOL!  The tool is still working but it takes calorie counting, carb counting, exercise counting and protein counting; in other words.....working the program pretty close to perfect!

you CAN do it!  This is the perfect time of year to work our weight so we're all set for the fun Holiday outfits that are just a few months away!!!

LOSER'S ROCK!!!!

Joyce 

dbuckeye
on 7/8/10 6:38 am - Sun City, AZ
 Hi Joyce,

My labs are do in 2 weeks.  That will be the perfect time to send to Michelle. 

I would love if you could come to my Wednesday support group.  I'm so excited about it.

Debbie

CERTIFIED SUPPORT GROUP LEADER
                         SUN CITY

[email protected]

Stacyb15
on 6/25/10 9:05 am - Casa Grande, AZ
RNY on 05/17/10 with
I am 5, almost 6 weeks out and feeling so good. I am actually surprised at how good I feel. I had expected to be tired and exhausted (that is what my friends who have had the surgery told me they felt). I am exersicing 4 times a week with the Walk Away the Pounds videos. I do the 2 or 3 mile walks.
I have a little trouble with the foamies, just from eating too fast or not chewing well. I am starting to feel hungry again, which is okay. My  nutritionist says to begint o add foods back into my diet and see how well I do with them. So I have been trying. I am a little scared to add the fruits yet.

JRinAZ
on 7/7/10 9:46 am - Layton, UT
On June 25, 2010 at 4:05 PM Pacific Time, Stacyb15 wrote:
I am 5, almost 6 weeks out and feeling so good. I am actually surprised at how good I feel. I had expected to be tired and exhausted (that is what my friends who have had the surgery told me they felt). I am exersicing 4 times a week with the Walk Away the Pounds videos. I do the 2 or 3 mile walks.
I have a little trouble with the foamies, just from eating too fast or not chewing well. I am starting to feel hungry again, which is okay. My  nutritionist says to begint o add foods back into my diet and see how well I do with them. So I have been trying. I am a little scared to add the fruits yet.

Just checking in with you Miss Stacy to see how you're doing?  How is that Walk Away the Pounds video working for you?

I went to Costco today to check out the purchase of the entire Wii system thinking that would be a fun way to shake up my exercise and entertain my grand darlins at the same time.  I threw it on my birthday list so I'll let you know how I like it.

Foamies are normal for many Rny's for the first few months.  Be patient with your body, listen to what it's telling you and if something doesn't work (food wise) the first time then come back to it in a few weeks and try again.  I found that my foamies were the worst when a food was too dry (like grilled shrimp vs ****tail shrimp or grilled white chicken vs roasted dark chicken).  Go easy on the fruits since they can cause dumping.  Some fruits, like oranges and pineapple are just rough to get down becaue of the fiber.  Remember to always pair your fruit with a bit of protein....like a small slice of cheese or a dab of peanut butter.

I got in a 3 a.m. Tues morning from a flight so was too wiped out to go to Donna's support group on Tuesday.  Did you make it?  How was it?  I'll definitely plan to be there next month!

Keep in touch with us and let us know how we can help!!!

Joyce 

Most Active