Dumping - reactive hypoglycemia

4bunnies
on 6/19/10 1:43 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Has anyone had problems with reactive hypoglycemia? It is a kind of dumping that takes place a few hours after eating. I'm 5 years out (RYN bypass - out of state) and about 6 months ago I started having problems with feeling shakey, nauseous, dizzy, and like I was going to pass out. I try to eat every few hours but sometimes still feel sick and a few times I had to take glucose tabs, which I carry all the time now. I'm in the process of looking for a new primary care Dr (recommendations for N. Phoenix welcomed!) in hopes that I can figure out how to get a handle on this.

If you've experienced this type of dumping what you have found to be helpful? Are there certain foods, supplements, or tricks that you've used to prevent the dumping?

Thanks SO much!!!
Laura
Michele T.
on 6/19/10 2:12 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Laura,

I've (so far anyhow) never had RH, but I've read a lot on the boards about it.  The best advice seems to be to eat small frequent meals and to keep a snack pack of peanut butter crackers (use an old glasses case so they don't turn into crumbs) on hand.  They work best to take care of the symptoms.

If you don't read the Yahoo Grad board, there's a lot of info on it there.  Melting Mama has written about it a lot as well.

Good luck!

Michele

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Graduate-OSSG/

http://meltingmama.typepad.com/wls/

JRinAZ
on 6/20/10 6:00 am - Layton, UT
Laura,
I had it badly (don't have it any longer cuz no dumping with DS).

BEST diet plan for as recommended by medical:

NEVER eat a carb alone!!!

Eating?  Pair whatever you eat with a healthy protein.  Keep your carbs limited to low glycemic (strawberries vs banana, greens vs corn/potato).

Eat some type of protein every 2 hours (small 2 oz portions are fine and lowfat, lean proteins are best if you're still trying to lose).

The best eating plan I ever went on was called the 2 hours protein plan:

You eat OR drink every waking hours of the day!!

Example:  7 am protein drink 8 a.m. water 9 a.m. egg & 1 pc of turkey bacon 10 a.m. water, 11 a.m. protein drink, 12 water, 1  two oz grilled chicken with salad and lowfat dressing, 2 water, 3 protein drink, 4 water, 5 three oz grilled fish, stir fry veggies in EVOO, 6 water, 7 protein drink, 8 water, 9 1/4 to half cup of lowfat cottage cheese with berries.

You will not only ditch your reacctive hypoglycemia with that diet but your high protein - low carb intake will put you into ketosis and you'll LOSE LOSE LOSE!!!!

Good luck!  having the shakes and needing to sleep is craziness.  Whatever you do....don't pull yourself out of an episode with sugar!!!!  You'll find yourself into another dive in 2 to 4 hours!  Protein is your source that will stabilize the highs and lows!

Check with your doc!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

JRinAZ
on 6/20/10 6:14 am - Layton, UT
P.S.

Some of us with Rny react badly to the whey isolate protein drinks (i.e. Nectars, etc). with a shakey DUMP!   You may consider using  the blends instead.

I used the Matrix protein drink vs the nectars even though they are both made by the same company (syntrax).  The Champion Pure Whey STack flavors don't usually cause any dumping either.

Also......high fat foods can send you into the same dive so it's not just a sugar thing for everyone.  Consider your diet.  Journal your food so you can talk shop with your doc.

Take care,

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ann M.
on 6/21/10 11:41 pm - Peoria, AZ
If you're looking for a good PCP in N. Phoenix, check out Dr. Michael Underhill at Paseo physicians (paseodocs.com).  He's knowledgeable about the RNY patient and what their needs are.  I like him very much and he has a great bedside manner, he's also not hard on the eyes:)
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Missy52
on 8/9/10 9:34 am
I have this happen to me quite frequently. I was told that I was hypoglycemic but it had nothing to do with dumping. I have to carry glucose tabs with me also. I keep shelled sunflower seeds in my car and consider that my snack, I eat them on the way home from work. At wor****ep a bag of beef jerky and an ounce usually keeps me going until lunch. Hope this helps.
Most Active