Revision

20candy07
on 5/12/10 9:25 am - Tolleson, AZ
How would one know if they need a revision?  Curiosity is getting the best of me. 

Best regards,

kathleen-ann
on 5/21/10 3:45 pm - Prescott Valley, AZ
Would love to know this myself ! Looking to see replys. I had surgery same time as you...and Fang did it...Huggies,Kathleen
JRinAZ
on 5/21/10 5:20 pm - Layton, UT
On May 21, 2010 at 10:45 PM Pacific Time, kathleen-ann wrote:
Would love to know this myself ! Looking to see replys. I had surgery same time as you...and Fang did it...Huggies,Kathleen
Candy said, ~~"How would one know if they need a revision?  Curiosity is getting the best of me."~~

Candy and Kathleen-Ann,

There are quite a few reasons one "may" need a revision.

1.  Medical necessity
2.  Original surgery has broken in some way (usually stretched stoma and/or pouch)
3.  Regain or failure to reach one's desired weight leaving them with an unhealthy BMI

OR

1.  All the same reasons you had your first surgery (i.e. reduce or eliminate co-morbidities, to achieve a better quality of life).

Many insurances cover a Revision if certain criteria is met.  Some insurances actually approve with just a request from the submitting surgeon.

Dr. Keshishian will be addressing Revisions (among other WLS info) at the June 5th event.  Bring your questions with you that day!  He'll have time for individual consults as well as Q & A with his presentation.  He is one of the leading Revision surgeon's in the world and accepts the very high risk cases when other's are either not qualified or refuse (like my situation).

Basically....if you had ANY type of Weight Loss Surgery and are well outside of your losing "window" and are not within your healthy weight range, have medical issues because of your orginal surgery, have had significant regain, etc.  YOU may qualify for a revision.  Many bands revise to a malabsorptive procedure because of slips, erosion or unsatisfying weight loss.  Many Rny's revise with their own type of list.....I would completely recommend everyone checks out www.dsfacts.com if they are considering a revision.

Also...if one is serious or wanting to chat with peeps regarding revisions....go to the O.H. Revision forum and find oodles who have walked or are walking in your shewzies!

See y'all soon!  .... (June 5th!) 

Joyce

20candy07
on 5/22/10 8:46 am - Tolleson, AZ
Hey Joyce,
Glad to see you're doing good.  Thanks for the info.......I'll read the dsfact.com because I would like to know how the doctor's test for an enlarged stoma and or pouch.  

My best,

Chris S.
on 5/24/10 12:20 pm - Tempe, AZ
I was made aware that I had an enlarged stoma when I was scoped back in January thus also discovering I had an ulcer.

I talked to Dr Juarez about it and it is not something he is concerned about until I either start gaining weight or my labs go down the toilet.

JRinAZ
on 5/24/10 3:29 pm - Layton, UT
On May 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM Pacific Time, Chris S. wrote:
I was made aware that I had an enlarged stoma when I was scoped back in January thus also discovering I had an ulcer.

I talked to Dr Juarez about it and it is not something he is concerned about until I either start gaining weight or my labs go down the toilet.

I totally agree!  If it aint broke, don't fix it, right?!  LOL!  I'm still in the "what the heck did I do to myself" stage of post-surgery so I'd NEVER advise anyone to jump into the O.R. without REALLY good cause!

See you in a couple of weeks Miss Chris!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ann M.
on 5/24/10 7:00 am - Peoria, AZ
I enjoyed listening to Dr. K at the OH seminar in Costa Mesa.  He was a bit clinical but he gave me lots of information that I didn't know.  For me, the only reason I'd think about a revision is because I HAVE to take an ani-inflammatory (Celebrex) for the rest of my life due to muscle/joint problems.  With RNY we aren't supposed to take them although they are prescribed in very low doses along with Prevacid or some other stomach protector.  It's a chance I'm taking but the benefits in my case outweigh the risks.

I think Dr. K will have lots of info for those who are thinking about revisions or those looking into the DS surgery.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active