scared to lose weight

Jean135
on 4/29/10 8:20 am - Sun City West, AZ
 I had someone notice today that I was beginning to lose weight and it scared me. Has anyone else had this reaction??  I can't figure it out. Thoughts??

Jean
JRinAZ
on 4/29/10 1:28 pm - Layton, UT
Hey sweetie!
You've just got to get to know the knew you!  Some of us wear out FAT as a protection.  Some of us have embraced our FAT and so when it begins it's exit we have to adjust our identify all over again.  Note that I'm using the F word!  LOL!  Believe me, it's taken oodles of support groups, therapy and good old fashioned photos for me to realize that I really was FAT!  I hope that doesn't offend anyone but it was a piece of my healing to say it out loud.

There are oodles of ways to get used to the kudos, the compliments, the questions ...etc....  Attend support groups!  People have great experiences to share that can help us.  I've been going to them for 8 years and still get charged up.

Congrats on your weight loss!  ....  Learn to just say thank you and leave the lengthy explanations to close friends and relatives (and only if you think they will be supportive).

Huggggzzzz! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

dbuckeye
on 4/30/10 9:44 am - Sun City, AZ
Jean,
Wait till a year out you need to show you drivers license someone.  Tha thappened to me last week at a bank.  Have you lost weight since your picture?  When I told her what I did.  She had to know all about it.  I invited her to our support group. 
Debbie

CERTIFIED SUPPORT GROUP LEADER
                         SUN CITY

[email protected]

KristeyK
on 5/18/10 3:01 pm - AZ
I'm like Joyce, I wear my fat as a form of protection, kind of like a nice warm blankie. I am hopefully having revision surgery to get rid of this lap band sometime next month, and as much as I am excited to get it done and start losing weight, I am also afraid. With the exception of one year when I lived alone and could not afford to eat and had to walk everywhere, I have been fat my entire life. Hopefully we will both figure out how to get rid of the fear and learn to love our new bodies!
Ann M.
on 5/18/10 10:50 pm - Peoria, AZ
Jean, I wasn't afraid but it did make me feel wonderful when someone noticed my weight loss.  My brain wouldn't let me see it even though I know I was losing according to the scale.  I can remember one meeting when I got out and thought I almost ran into someone and was excusing myself.  Everyone was laughing at me especially when I realized I almost ran into myself in a mirror.  I didn't recognize "me". 

If you're not busy, come on up to the Dress Barn at Lake Pleasant/Happy Valley on June 12th.  We're having a fun day up there trying on clothes and offering support.  It's really great to see when members pick out one size to try on and then have to grab something 2 or 3 sizes smaller.  I hope to see you there.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active