Help upper abd pain, has anyone else had this?

coacha
on 4/12/10 6:51 am

I am 2 1/2 years out from a lap rny.  No dumping synd that I'm aware of.  However, 2 months ago I was awoken from a dead sleep at 1:30 in the morning with this incredible pain just below the rib cage, like where my gall bladder would be if I still have one or where the pouch is.  This pain lasted for about 30 min, then I felt fine.  Went back to sleep.  As I was getting ready for work that morning, it happened agin.  lasted fro about 20 minutes.  I went to work.  Again it happened at about 1 in the afternoon.  I saw a bariatric doc.  He sent me for a CT of the upper abd.  All results came back normal.  On the way home from the hospital it happened 2 more times.  I had a follow-up scheduled.  He decided to do an EGD and Upper GI with contrast and X-Ray, and a ton of blood work.  He said I had a small erosion and to take Prilosec OTC.  There were no hernias seen, but the radiologist said he thought the pouch drained a little slow into the intestine.  I have not had a reoccurance since, until yesterday that is.  It woke me up at 5:45 AM.  Only lasted 10 minutes, but then again just after 6 AM.  It happened again 4 more times throughout the morning, and a couple times in the late afternoon.  I do not know what could be causing it, or what to do.  When I had seen my doc for my 2nd follow-up he said if it happens again go to the hospital so they can check while it is happening.  The problem is, if I go to the hospital by the time I would get there, or even were to be seen by anyone the pain would be gone.  Also, does anybody know where Dr. Simon is?  I had heard that he might join Dr Heffel & Gitt at NVPS. 

JRinAZ
on 4/12/10 7:33 am - Layton, UT
Sometimes we can have an ulcer in the "blind stomach" (part that has been bypassed)....that is not able to be detected by testing (my understanding from Bariatric surgeons) that can cause all kinds of pain!  I've had similar pain to that which you describe for about 6 years post-op Rny.  I took an OTC prilosec for years both morning and night until I found out that can cause havoc on our insides.  I now take a Kirkland brand (costco) Acid Reducer morning and night. 

Things I stay away from:  citrus of any kind...including lemon type no cal drinks.  Crystal Light sets me off with a lot of pain!  ....  Some fresh veggies or fresh fruits.....anything with too much fat content....going for a LONG time without eating can cause a lot of pain....taking ANY kind of pain med (cept tylenol) can set off that kind of pain. 

When I do have a flair....I guzzle Maalox, sip water, get upright (if I've been lying down) and take a prilosec....sometimes it takes several minutes (even hours) to lighten up.

BUT.....you need to stay tight with your docs and follow directions.

Good luck!  I hope you feel better soon!

(** you may want to hop over to the grads forum and ask your question.....many have "been there, done that" and can give you more direction)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Graduate-OSSG  (a VERY active list with almost 7,000 grads)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_grads/a,messageboard/b oard_id,5491/  This one isn't very active anymore.  In fact OH doesn't even list it as a forum.  Hmmmmm?

Let us know how we can help!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active