Need Assistance

barryl
on 3/16/10 10:57 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I am the parent of an adult child who is dealing with obesity. Unfortunately, at the moment, he is unwilling to seek medical help or help of any other kind. We are presently seeking advice on how concerned parents could be helpful to their son recognize and address his problem of obesity. Also, we would appreciate receiving references to professionals in the Phoenix area who could be of assistance.
Thanks.
JRinAZ
on 3/16/10 12:14 pm - Layton, UT
Barryl,
I have been the obese child.  I have been in your position as the parent of an obese child.  The thing I know for sure is that NOONE can tell another person that they are obese without alienating them.  They look in the mirror.  You aren't telling them anything they don't know themselves.

If he won't go to any doctor then it doesn't do any good to suggest that you have his pcp "encourage" him to seek weight loss surgery, or get a personal trainer, or join Weigh****chers .....  My heart breaks for you and your son!

I don't know if there are relatives or friends who could do a loving intervention (if there is such a thing)?  If you do stage something like that, I'd recommend knowing SEVERAL options to present and not just weight loss surgery.  Surgery is something that individuals have to embrace after oodles of information and knowledge.

There is an educational event coming up that will be low key and no pressure whatsoever to have weight loss surgery, because everyone in attendance will have already had weight loss surgery.  If you are interested then let me know and i'll send you the details.  It's on Saturday, April 10th.

Depending on your insurance, you have several really good options here in Arizona.  If you require a Center of Excellence (your insurance)....then you are limited to Scottsdale Bariatric (Dr. Robin Blackstone), Phoenix St Luke's (Dr. Juarez and Dr. Fang) or Banner Gateway (which is almost ready to be a COE...with Dr. Schuster and Dr. Podkamini).  Any of those surgeon's are excellent. 

Interested in a lapband?  I'd go to Dr. Terry Simpson.  Interested in a Sleeve?  I'd go to Dr. Podkamini.  Interested in Gastric Bypass?  ANY of the above mentioned are excellent.  The best surgery statistically is the Duodenal Switch.  There is NOT a DS surgeon in the state of Arizona that is recommended by the experts.  Please check out the site www.dsfacts.com for a list of vetted DS surgeons.  If you are after the very best for your son then tune into the Duodenal Switch (aka DS) Forum where you can ask questions of expert post-ops.

Good luck!  I sincerely hope that your son decides to reach for some help.  There is so much more to life after a successful weight loss!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

barryl
on 3/16/10 12:32 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Joyce,
Thanks so much for your thoughtful advice. I should emphasize that I was not looking at the surgery option at this time, What I am attempting to do is to have him see a primary care doctor who could begin the process of having him address his situation with diet, exercise, and other life style changes in a consistent fashion. I don't believe he has seriously attempted to diet/exercise over any appreciable period of time.
The aforementioned approach may not work, but I believe that is where he should start. Would you agree? Could you suggest some professionals, beyond the standard Weight**chers organizations, who might be useful in getting him going in addressing his obesity.
Thanks again.
BARRY
JRinAZ
on 3/16/10 2:21 pm - Layton, UT
Barry,
As you know, there are as many diet options as there are types of personalities.  But finding a diet/exercise approach that is packaged with therapy of some type will be key to success.  Those of us with weight issues generally have some mental/emotional baggage that needs to be healed or at least addressed. 

If you could find a psych who deals specifically with eating disorders; combined with a nutritionist/dietician which is recommended by your pcp  ....and hire a personal trainer....then you would have a rounded shot at success.  The main piece you'd need though is "desire" from your son!

I have a friend who is so very inspirational!  His name is David Smith and TLC recently did a 2 part program on him called the "650 lb Virgin".  You can google his name and get his story and contact information.  He lost over 400 pounds with diet and exercise and is paying it forward now by traininig others.  He lives in Scottsdale and works out of an L.A. Fitness in the Mesa area.  He and the guy who helped him lose his weight have started a program called "Reshape the Nation".  It may spark some enthusiasm for getting healthy for your son!

There is a forum on Obesity Help for "non" surgical weight loss.  Just move your curser over forum and check out all the "sub-topic" options.

Good luck!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

barryl
on 3/16/10 4:52 pm - Scottsdale, AZ

Thanks for your words of encouragement.
BARRY

Most Active