think twice before undergoing body contouring surgery

leechetta
on 2/21/10 6:37 am
You may want to view all of my pictures before undergoing body contouring surgery as I did.  They pretty grisly or gristly to view and I've been in great pain for 8 and 1/2 years since I had it done.  It's really a pretty crude surgery considering all the different ways the pelvis can tilt and gyrate.  So much can go wrong and it can really be (is) very painful.  Think more than twice and then don't do it. It seems to me that body lift surgery should entail special propping equipment to protect the inner groin skin from being pulled too tight.  Like place a ball under the lower butt crevice during the procedure so there could be some snoose to work with. I wanted to voice to my surgeons  my ideas concerning this propping  under the body so the groin skin wouldn't have to be pulled up so haphazardly "with out any snoose as they say" from the surgical table.  They said they had it all figured out but they didn't.  My inner groin was pulled up in an impossibly tight fashion and then hooked up to just under my hip bone.  Very very painful and disfiguring.  Too tight skin rubbing back and forth over sharp little pubic bones day in and day out.  It's taken years of my life to stretch my skin to the less tight but still very tight form it is today.  

Leech

JRinAZ
on 2/22/10 12:13 am - Layton, UT
On February 21, 2010 at 2:37 PM Pacific Time, leechetta wrote:
You may want to view all of my pictures before undergoing body contouring surgery as I did.  They pretty grisly or gristly to view and I've been in great pain for 8 and 1/2 years since I had it done.  It's really a pretty crude surgery considering all the different ways the pelvis can tilt and gyrate.  So much can go wrong and it can really be (is) very painful.  Think more than twice and then don't do it. It seems to me that body lift surgery should entail special propping equipment to protect the inner groin skin from being pulled too tight.  Like place a ball under the lower butt crevice during the procedure so there could be some snoose to work with. I wanted to voice to my surgeons  my ideas concerning this propping  under the body so the groin skin wouldn't have to be pulled up so haphazardly "with out any snoose as they say" from the surgical table.  They said they had it all figured out but they didn't.  My inner groin was pulled up in an impossibly tight fashion and then hooked up to just under my hip bone.  Very very painful and disfiguring.  Too tight skin rubbing back and forth over sharp little pubic bones day in and day out.  It's taken years of my life to stretch my skin to the less tight but still very tight form it is today.  
Wow Leech!
I am soooo sorry you've had such debilitating results!  Have you gotten opinions from other surgeon's for possible revisions? 

Having actually watched a body lift; I've seen the utmost care taken with a special mattress that has heated water flowing under it.  Patient's are marked while they are still completely awake so that skin is not pulled too tightly or too loosely.  (often done the day before at a pre-op appt)......There are gold standards of incisions, guidelines, rules, etc. that try to give the patient the best possible outcome.  But, it all comes down to doing your research and going with a surgeon who:
1.  doesn't have any actions against him/her
2.  has a lot of experience and happy patient's to prove that experience (specifically in post-bariatric plastic surgery)
3.  Is part of the heart beat of the Bariatric community and has their special needs in mind for insured optimum health and results
4.  Offers revisions/tweaks when a patient is unhappy with their results.

I hope you can find some relief and/or some help.  Having had some "oopsie" surgery done myself, I know how miserable one can be after the fact!!!  (Mine was not p.s. surgery).

Take care!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Janette
on 2/22/10 10:26 pm - Peoria, AZ
I am so sorry for your bad experience and results. I had a RNY in 04 with exceptional results of > 200Lb wt loss. Unfortunately I developed life threatening complications 2 yrs out (2006) that to date no Dr can  fix(long story) but prior to the problems I has PS with excellent results in my biased opinion. I had  a 7 hr surgery for brachioplasty, abdominoplasty and thigh lift with obviously much skin removed and tucked after losing over 200#s. Dr Ali Mosharaffa in Phx did my surgery. Unfortunately due to my continued very poor health I can  not finish my journey but again very pleased with what has been done as far as PS concerned.  Hopefully at some point you can continue and an experienced MD can "fix" what has been done. Best Wishes Janette
leechetta
on 2/27/10 1:11 am
Sorry your health is not good just now.  Appreciate getting your best wishes.

Leech

Most Active