Protein Options

Kathy W.
on 2/18/10 7:46 am - Apache Junction, AZ
I really need help.   I am trying several different protein shakes/drinks for my pre/post op period. So far I have not liked too many that I've tried other than some of the vanilla and chocolate shakes but I really wanted more options. I am going to be able to have fruit flavored protein drinks, whey protein isolate, powder or pre-mix and protein bullets. I have already tried the Isopure pineapple/orange/banana flavor and hated it.  I was surprised because I like pineappe and banana flavors. I also would like something with a coffee type flavor in it. 

Can you provide me with some ideas of products to try? I am really wanting to purchase it at a local store if possible. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
stephiebaby
on 2/18/10 7:56 am
if u pick up the Torani brand sugarfree syrups you can make any combination of flavors. that really helped me early out.
ginau
on 2/18/10 3:25 pm - mesa, AZ
 Stephanie 

You can try the Click brand  available on line - think you can even order samples. It's a strong Exspresso based  drink -  I beliee it's a blend.

Matrix  has a cappuccino ( sp) - I believe Vitamin Shoppe  carries it - or at least they can order it. 

A couple things to remember - your taste changes after surgery -  you  never know what you will like or not like ! 

**  I love the instant coffee sticks  from starbucks - add just a touch to  vanilla or chocolate protein drinks.  it mix's very fast !!  also safeway  has a coffee  stick  type  product - look in coffee /drink section. 

ask for samples  whenever possible.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

FLGail
on 2/18/10 10:28 pm - Sun City, AZ

Baratric Eating has one called I
 Believe and it is almost as good as having a Frauppicino at Starbucks.  I also am a coffee favlor lover and searched for them when I first had my surgery. Good Luck
                                                                                                                           Gail

JRinAZ
on 2/19/10 1:32 am - Layton, UT
Hiya Katherine!!

Consider samples samples samples!  www.vitalady.com

Also, on the main page of O.H. there are some banners you can click on for info and samples.

Eventually you'll find your brands and flavors that are "just the thing" and you'll even start craving them!  LOL!  I can NOT even try to go to sleep these days until I've had a hot chocolate protein drink with s/f Torani peppermint syrup!  YUMMO!  Nothing says "night, night" quite the same:)

Locally:  Wal Mart has protein that is inexpensive.  I"ve been told the protein quality isn't as high as the Isopure and Synrax products but as far as flavor....go to Smart and Final and purchase a couple of your favorite s/f syrups (like Steph said) and you can doctor all kinds of proteins to become the best drink in the world.

Check out www.theworldaccordingtoeggfaace.com for oodles of recipes for protein drinks!!!

Good luck!

Joyce

cocoa_chanel12
on 2/23/10 5:44 am, edited 2/23/10 5:45 am - Chandler, AZ
 Hi Katherine,

I also hated Isopure. I don't think there is anything out that that's loaded with protein and tastes absolutely delicious, but there are some other tolerable options.

After my surgery, I would mix sugar free chocolate pudding mix and add that powder to greek yogurt. Greek yogurt has tons of protein and the chocolate pudding mix makes it taste kind of like chocolate cheesecake.

However a protein shake that I SWEAR by is a combination of 2 mixes and it not that cheap, but I felt so much healthier. 

PureWeigh Vanilla - http://www.pureprescriptions.com/products/product_view.asp?ProductsID=342&ProductsCategoryID=112

Pro Blend 55 Chocolate - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EALGM2/ref=asc_df_B000EALGM21041123?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000EALGM2

I would mix these together in water  on ice or even blended. I started with 12-16oz of water and I think I did about 1/2 scoop of each at first and sipped on it. The PureWeigh has tons of vitamins, amino acids, etc. It really helped me after 2 strictures. Then add in the Pro Blend 55 for the protein. I was paranoid that maybe I was drinking too many calories but I reached my goal in 7 months.  The PureWeigh is definitely worth the money in my opinion.  I am able to purchase each of these in Scottsdale here:

http://www.edlcofaz.com/

Good Luck!

Christina

Kathy W.
on 2/23/10 6:44 am - Apache Junction, AZ
Thanks so much to everyone for your suggestions!!  They really helped by providing me with more options!
Most Active