Revision from Band to RNY or DS anyone in AZ???

Nerd Lover
on 1/20/10 8:26 am
Thanks Joyce.  Here's a before and during photo...I feel great!

~*ChRiStY*~

high/current/goal
272/143/140

I  NERDS!!!
JRinAZ
on 1/21/10 6:55 am - Layton, UT
Wow Christy!  You have a reason to be celebrating in front of that Christmas tree!  You are definitely on your way!!!!

Hang with us and keep us posted!  Let us know how we can support you as a speedy LOSER!!!!  LOL!

Huggggzzz,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

kittenqutie
on 1/21/10 7:33 am - Phoenix, AZ
Wow Christy you look great!

Thank you soooooo much for sharing with me, our stories sound very similar.  I tried to go to your page to make a friend request but I think your page is private.  If you want to friend me please stop by my page!!!

JRinAZ
on 1/21/10 9:21 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Kittenqutie,
A revision from a band gives you just about every option since you're basically back to where you started once the band is removed (unless you have scar tissues to contend with).  I had a revision from a Proxy Rny to an Extended Rny.  I've had struggles since, soooooo, I too have been exploring my options.  .....  I just got home from a trip to L.A. where I saw one of the top DS surgeon's (Dr. Keshishian).  Awesome doc! 

Which direction are you leaning?  "If" I could totally start from scratch, I'd definitely have a DS!  .....  In fact,  "if" I can have yet another revision, then it will be to a DS.  There isn't anyone in Arizona that I know of that revises to a DS.  If you settle on revising to a sleeve then I think you'll have more options available.  Dr. Podkamini rocks and does sleeves, as does Dr. Blackstone, Dr. Juarez, some Tucson docs and I think a Flag doc.  There are folks who have had success with a couple of Mx surgeon's.

Good luck!  Kudos to you for doing some homework.  I'd suggest asking around on the DS forum and check out the dsfacts.com website.  Research big time before you decide and NEVER trust all you hear from a surgeon without getting a 2nd opinion to confirm it.  Ask on several forums about procedures and about surgeon's to get a feel of which might be the best plan for you.

Can you join us next Tuesday at the "Back on Track" support group?

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

kittenqutie
on 1/23/10 2:45 am - Phoenix, AZ
WOW thanks so much for your kind words!  I think I'm leaning towards RNY. . .for several reasons

1.) The doctor I trust COMPLETELY does revisions to RNY (or Sleeve) and have trust in your doc is big with me.

2.) DS sounds a little "too good to be true"  that's what I thought when I got the band.  I was originally all set to get RNY and then I heard about the band and all its benefits, how it was less invasive and just seemed like the "wonder band" and I talked myself into the band and out of bypass.  Now here I am 2 years later STILL FAT with more problems then before, kicking myself for not doing RNY like I wanted to.  I sorta feel if I talk myself out again I may regret it.  BUT i am doing the research and trying to make an informed decision.  I'm NOT going down this road single minded that's why I keep asking questions to get a clear picture.  If I find  DS doc that I trust than maybe, but depends.

3.) I will have to self pay (as am still paying off the band and wont even have it anymore) DS is more expensive and that plays a part.

When and where is this "Back on Track" support group I never heard of it??

Thanks again for chatting, this helps immensely

Dawn T.
on 1/28/10 2:52 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Kitten -
I just PM'd you as well  on this, but I am a band to DS, and I would do it again 100 x over!!  I am rarely on these boards (I work 2 jobs), so if anyone is interested in contacting me, send me an email directly @ [email protected].  Dr. Schlesinger here in Phoenix  did my surgery, but I had already had my band removed a couple of years earlier. I don't know if he would revise directly from a band to the DS.

Good luck in whatever you do -
Dawn

keyboards 001
Most Active