Revision from Band to RNY or DS anyone in AZ???

kittenqutie
on 1/10/10 5:49 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hello,

I have had my band for 2 years as of this Feb. and have come to the conclusion that I need a revision.  I have some horrific REFLUX, to the point that I am scared to sleep most nights because I wake up gasping for air because my throat is filled with acid.  I have had the unfill and the medications so this appears to be my only option.  I am just wondering if there are in people in AZ that have had a revision from the Band to something else, and if so what surgery and why???

Thanks in advance. . .Kitten!

liveinphx
on 1/10/10 10:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
There are many folks in AZ that have revised from band to sleeve. You may try posting on the sleeve board.
I know Midwesterngirl is an avid advocate for band to sleeve revision with Dr Aceves.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
kittenqutie
on 1/10/10 3:04 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you for responding, tho I am not as interested in a another purely restrictive surgery as is the case with the sleeve.  I am much more interested in either DS or RNY, which is why I am wondering if there is anyone in AZ that has gotten either of those surgeries and if they have a local doctor that is does their labs to ensure that they are not vitamin deficient as that will be key in long-term success.

liveinphx
on 1/11/10 11:52 am - Phoenix, AZ
I did not mean to imply you wanted the sleeve. I read the post but not the "subject", my bad. That having been said if you have not already posted on the revision, ds or rny board you might want to try that as well.
As far as PCP goes my PCP does my labs without questions.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
marcie K.
on 1/11/10 5:07 am - Sahuarita, AZ

I had a band to vsg revision but it doesn't sound like you are interested in that.  I think Schleisinger (sp?) does revisions to ds; I met someone who had revised to ds with him i believe. 

kittenqutie
on 1/19/10 4:15 am - Phoenix, AZ
The Sleeve sounds interesting but I'm afraid that just restricting my tummy will not be enough.  I have several friends that have been revised to the sleeve and are very happy with the results, but in most of those cases the were very close to goal already and the switch was due to problems and for long term maintenance.  Thank you for sharing with me.

Nerd Lover
on 1/18/10 10:02 am
I had my band revised to RNY by Robin Blackstone and don't  regret  a thing.  I absolutely love my RNY and don't get sick like I did with my band.
        ~*ChRiStY*~

high/current/goal
272/143/140

I  NERDS!!!
kittenqutie
on 1/19/10 4:17 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you, can you share (a PM is fine) why you chose RNY over your other options.  I am really just trying to make an informed decision

Nerd Lover
on 1/19/10 5:21 am

Well my short long story is this...I got my band a few years ago and had about 130 lbs to lose.  I lost about 65 lbs and then got a fill and the doc filled it too tight.  I went back to get some liquid taken out and they said they took almost all out.  I went home and couldn't swallow even water without issues.  So I went back and they "emptied" my band.  I still had the same issues over and over to where I could only eat soup and stuff.  So I called the doc, they did a barium swallow and said all was ok and that I wasn't eating right. 

Mind you I'd had my band at that time for nearly a year with NO complications.  I KNEW I was eating right, chewing chewing and chewing but it didn't matter.  The doc had me thinking I was off my rocker. 

About 6 months ago I decided I'd had enough.  Id gained most of my weight back eating mashed potatos because I was freakin hungry and couldn't swallow without throwing up and PB'ing.  So I got a 2nd opinion.  I went in, that new doc pulled 3 freakin cc's from my band!!!  UMMM SO MUCH FOR BEING EMPTY.

So I decided to get RNY so that I wouldn't have to rely on the doc's competency in order for me to be successful.  My band had slipped and I'm soooooo glad to have it out.  I'm 2 1/2 months post op and 63 lbs down and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Good luck.

~*ChRiStY*~

high/current/goal
272/143/140

I  NERDS!!!
JRinAZ
on 1/20/10 6:28 am - Layton, UT
63 pounds in 2 1/2 months???!!!!! 

Congrats on your revision Christy and on taking charge of YOU!!!!

Weigh 2 go!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active