PLASTIC SURGEON HELP PLEASE

DAWN CAREY
on 1/4/10 7:32 am - Peoria, AZ
 I am looking for a plastic surgeon in Arizona that does all the procedures after loosing so much weight.  I used to be on here all the time and with being so busy I havent been on here.  I have lost 190 pounds and I need MAJOR plastic surgery.  Does anyone know of a GOOD plastic surgeon, THAT CAN CHARGE the insurance. I am pretty sure my insurance with cover this because its medically needed!! Please help!!! THANKS and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!! 

My facebook page is www.facebook.com/dawncarey

JRinAZ
on 1/4/10 7:46 am - Layton, UT
On January 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM Pacific Time, DAWN CAREY wrote:
 I am looking for a plastic surgeon in Arizona that does all the procedures after loosing so much weight.  I used to be on here all the time and with being so busy I havent been on here.  I have lost 190 pounds and I need MAJOR plastic surgery.  Does anyone know of a GOOD plastic surgeon, THAT CAN CHARGE the insurance. I am pretty sure my insurance with cover this because its medically needed!! Please help!!! THANKS and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!! 
Hi Dawn,

Congrats on 190 lbs!!!!  AMAZING!!!!

I have worked in the plastic surgery biz for a while.  There are really only 2 procedures that have the possibility for coverage.

1.  Breast reduction (Do you have bra indent marks in your shoulders?  Breakdown of tissue "under" your breasts?  Back pain?)

2.  Panniculectamy (this is NOT a tummy tuck.  It is an amputation of skin.  If you are in front of the mirror with nothing but a smile and can pull the abdominal skin (pannus above your pubic area) out about 6 inches or so......then a panniculectamy would be like taking scissors and cutting off that skin.....there isn't any muscle work done.  To qualify....your insurance has to have that as a benefit, you have to have documentation of rashes or skin breakdown of some type (dermatologist or pcp or both)......

Most plastic surgeon's require full payment of procedures up front and then you submit to your insurance with the office help.  You would receive everything that is covered from your insurance.

I work for Dr. Mehdi Mazaheri who I think is the best in AZ!  He has proven success with excellent results and zero complications.  His patient's love his work!

Good luck with the next phase of your journey!  It's such an amazing reward for a successful weight loss!!!

Happy New Year to you too!  Have FUN! 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

DAWN CAREY
on 1/4/10 11:20 pm - Peoria, AZ
 yes my insurance says that it must be medically needed from the doctor that is doing it.  They said the doctor has to submit a request to get it covered.  I guess I would need a breast reduction cause they are like long sandbags lmao! Sorry.  I also need the removal of that skin on my tummy as well.  How do I find a doctor that is willing to go thru the insurance to get this covered...

Ann M.
on 1/4/10 10:25 pm - Peoria, AZ
Dawn, I'm sorry that Midwestern Girl butted into your post.  She has a vendetta to destroy Joyce and will stop at nothing including using posts put forth by members here who have a real need to have their questions answered.  Joyce works for a plastic surgeon and will, of course, recommend him.  I'm sure she will also give you names of others if asked. 

There are several plastic surgeons in the area who specialize in bariatric patients.  You can check here on OH up at the top where it says "plastic surgeons" and then pick one for Arizona.  You can also call the different bariatric surgeons and see if they have any recommendations.

I think we all have our favorites and will recommend (read push) you to go to them.  Only you can decide who to use based on your interview with them.  There might be fees involved in the consultation so be aware of that also.  As far as your insurance goes, check with them to see exactly what they cover.  You might have to have documented evidence of rashes, etc including pictures, doctor's reports and more stuff before they'll even consider coverage.  It is very hard to get insurance to cover what they consider a cosmetic procedure.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
DAWN CAREY
on 1/4/10 11:16 pm - Peoria, AZ
 Thanks Ann. I am having a hard time trying to find a surgeon that is IN NETWORK and does goes thru insurance.  My insurance company told me that the person doing my surgery has to submit the request.  There is nothing in my plan that says it is NOT covered.  I know for sure I NEED this removed.  I lost so much weight, my back hurts from this extra weight still.  I found Mayo Clinic but they are OUT of network and I would have to pay so much more.  I hope someone on here knows of a DOC that does work with insurance...

Sarahlicious
on 1/5/10 12:30 am, edited 1/5/10 12:30 am - Portsmouth, OH
Do you have any schools of medicine or major medical centers. I know in Ohio at Ohio State University Medical Center and here at the University of Miami/ Jackson Memorial they take insurance...and it's the PLASTIC SURGEON who does the surgeon..not  a resident program I'm talking about...yes residents assist and help with follow-up but a surgeon who is good enough to TEACH others does the actual surgery.

Also, your insurance should have a list of Plastic Surgeons in your network...and they should take the direct payment from them, etc. Start calling the list, researching from there.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

DAWN CAREY
on 1/5/10 11:58 am - Peoria, AZ
 Thanks guys for all ur help!! I found 2 doctors that are IN NETWORK for my insurance.  I have appointments with both to check them out.  One is  Michael Desvigne in Peoria and the other is Dr Turkeltaub in Scottsdale~ 

Ann M.
on 1/5/10 8:22 pm - Peoria, AZ
That's great Dawn.  Please make sure they are experienced with bariatric patients because we have special needs, i.e. healing, very thin skin, etc.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
karol
on 1/6/10 6:22 pm
Hello All

Dr. Paul Rhee is a wonderful plastic surgeon who has done many post Bypass pts.

Karol
Karol Friend
coacha
on 1/8/10 4:13 am
I really liked Dr. Steven Gitt at North Valley Plastic Surgery.  He got insurance to pay for a big portion of my post bariatric surgery 3 months ago.  His staff is great (in my opinion). 
Most Active