My Experience

Gator5957
on 12/25/09 6:55 pm
Good luck.  I have to say the reason I chose Dr. Blackstone was sheer terror of dying on the table.  I know dumb, but that being said,  the fact she has done over 8500 bariatric surgery's and as the were preping me in preop the nurse asked who my Dr. was.  I told her, and she said that they have seen people from all over the world come for her to do their surgery.  A telling tale I'd say.  I thnk as I said before, the team is what makes the experience.  Thw surgeon is important, but in all honesty, the majority of your care will be handled by the team.  I think you are in safe hands either surgeon..  Just a note, if you want Dr. Blackstone, you will have a longer wait due to her availability vs. Dr. Sprunger.  Again best of luck to you.
AZsheltiemom
on 12/25/09 5:20 pm - Yuma, AZ
Gator 5957 -
 Thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences with Dr Blackstone and her office.  I too have chosen to go with Scottsdale Bariatric Center.  I still have not made my mind up on a surgeon.  They both are excellent surgeons.  I met Dr Blackstone at the seminar I attended over a year ago, I met Dr Sprunger in the office during my initial exam (before I found out my insurance wanted a 6 mo dr monitored diet).  I liked his honesty and caring attitude (if that is the right word to use).  He was concerned about where I would be staying after the surgery since I live in Yuma, a good 3.5 hr drive from the hospital if I had problems.  I advised him I have a place to stay on the west side of Phx for the week after surgery.
 You are right and I cannot stress it enough to people I talk to ... DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!  This is why it took me almost 6 months to decide that I wanted to go through with the surgery - I did lots of research, I talked to people who had surgery in the past, in the recent past and very recent past.  Granted everyone will handle surgery differently, but if you are informed you are a step ahead in the game.
 I just sent my paperwork into Scottsdale Bariatric 5 hours ago ... the 6 month diet from my dr, my 5 years of medical history, etc.  Cross your fingers that I will soon be sitting on that loser bench with you :) 
Sincerely -
Lois Beall  aka azsheltiemom
P.S.  I would love to stay in touch and see how you are doing, could I add you as a friend?

Gator5957
on 12/25/09 7:12 pm
Good luck.  I have to say the reason I chose Dr. Blackstone was sheer terror of dying on the table.  I know dumb, but that being said,  the fact she has done over 8500 bariatric surgery's and as the were preping me in preop the nurse asked who my Dr. was.  I told her, and she said that they have seen people from all over the world come for her to do their surgery.  A telling tale I'd say.  I thnk as I said before, the team is what makes the experience.  Thw surgeon is important, but in all honesty, the majority of your care will be handled by the team.  I think you are in safe hands either surgeon..  Just a note, if you want Dr. Blackstone, you will have a longer wait due to her availability vs. Dr. Sprunger.  Again best of luck to you.

AZsheltiemom
on 12/26/09 5:26 pm - Yuma, AZ
  I understand your reasons loud and clear!  I really would like to go with Dr B, but as you state it takes longer to get an available spot with her.  She is a very busy woman and I admire that. I understand what keeps her so busy is that she is a teaching DR.  
  So far my experiences with her staff have been good ... I only had one situation where I did not get a response back and had to call the office for an answer.  Otherwise each person I have dealt with in person, on the phone or via email has been extremely helpful.
  Had you chosen Dr B before you were "approved by insurance" or did you make a decision based on when you could get the surgery?  I hate to think of waiting any longer than I absolutely have to, but I fear it could be months if I wait for Dr B.

Gator5957
on 12/26/09 10:41 pm
I chose her prior to my approval.  I actually was approved in early November and could have had my surgery in late November.  I chose my date because of available time off during the holidays.  She is worth the wait in my opinion.

Most Active