Stop putting down people on the boards

tochatty
on 12/12/09 1:50 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I have been a member of this site for years, upon years and I am coming here to get support, make friends and share experiences. 

I am getting turned off with the board being a means to slander one another.  If you don't like someone keep it to yourself, please.  Everyone has a right to their opinion about surgeons, people, staff, surgery, etc. 

The boards is not a place to constantly throw people under the bus.  It makes the board an uncomfortable place to come and that's not why the board was designed. 

My name is Jennifer and I had surgery almost ten years ago with a surgeon at Mayo clinic *****tired five months after my surgery.  I was forever grateful but wow have things changed in ten years.  When I had my surgery at Mayo Clinic we did not have a support group, myself along with four other people went to surgeons, board members, etc to appeal the case of having a support group at Mayo Clinic and in October 2000 the support group was born. 

I come to the boards recently because I am needing help, for so long and so many years I offered support to others I need it in return.  I have gained back 80 lbs and I want to stop the insanity of my weight gain.  I am not sure if revision is the answer, I am trying to remember all those promises I made to myself and to God on the day of surgery and realizing I am not doing what I promised.  So first I am taking time for myself to soul search and to reach out to the basics of my weight loss surgery and to realize those were things I needed to do forever, not just until I lost the weight. 

I do not mean to offend anyone I just want to come here and be friends and gain support.  I often feel like I am failure and wonder if I am alone.  I used to work for plastic surgeons at Mayo Clinic and so I have seen tons of my friends not only have the weight loss surgery but have their plastic surgery done and I think, why is that not me?  Why have I gained the weight back? 

What are some of your experiences since surgery? 

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

FLGail
on 12/12/09 6:52 am - Sun City, AZ
Jennifer, I couldnt agree more with you. We are all here in the same situation. I want to help others not listen to people put down others. Keep your opinion to yourself. I am new in the area and it kinda scares me if this is how you treat others in Az. I want to lend a hand or be able to lend an ear who have also had my same surgery.  I used to teach support for my doctor in Florida and was always there for others. Come on guys, Lets stop this being nasty to one another. We all are in this to be thin not nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If you cant say something nice-Then stay off the boards.   Gail
tochatty
on 12/13/09 12:23 am - Scottsdale, AZ
How long have you been in Arizona?  I moved here in 1997 from New Mexico.  I  love it and in fact last night was talking to some friends about how I am not sure i could ever go back to cold weather.  I dont like driving in the rain much less snow.  I remember driving home at night years ago when the snow is coming down towards your car and it just makes the road so non visable. 

Open RNY 07/2000
Seeking Revision GBS

FLGail
on 12/13/09 12:46 am - Sun City, AZ
Hi Jennifer, It has been 4 weeks tomorrow that I moved here from Florida. I had met several fellow bariatric people at the OH conference here in 2005.I am trying though to meet many others as well. Buit I am a little afraid with all the crap going on with people acting like they are in High School rather then adults. I like Joyce alot and nobody will influence me with their crap. I was very active in the bariatric  community in Florida and I hoped to be here too but for now it scares me. Hope to meet you sometime at a support group(which we all need).  I didnt have snow but we did have alot of rain and hurricanes where I moved from.
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/09 7:10 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hello-My surgery is scheduled for Jan 5th with Dr S. I feel I have made a good decision and am looking forward to being on the other side of this. This board has scared the crud out of me so far. I would love to see more positive people on here and share support. Thanks for posting a much needed message!
tochatty
on 12/13/09 12:25 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  How very exciting, what a great way to start the new year.  Imagine what the next years holidays will bring to you?  You will be able to have the energy to keep up with everyone, the hustle and bustle, shopping, buying new christmas outfits.  Wow.  What a great feeling.

I went to a Christmas party last weekend and I was thinking this just as I was so depressed getting dressed that hopefully next year with good discpline I will be able to keep up, be healthier, buy nice fitting clothes, etc. 

Looking forward to the new year.

Open RNY 07/2000
Seeking Revision GBS

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/12/09 11:57 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Thanks for the much need post.  It seems a few on the AZ board are always starting trouble.  I joined OH to connect with people, and find friends.  Living here in Az it would be nice to be able to come to this board for support.  I am glad too see others that what the same thing.  

Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

tochatty
on 12/13/09 12:30 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Wendy it looks like you recently had surgery, congratulations.  How are you feeling?  I have had several friends who had the bands and some chose not to go back in for fills and so they lost waht they wanted and stopped but sadly one of my friends is still over 300 lbs and I try to tell him he has a wonderful tool and should really take advantage of it for his health.  He has been on blood pressure medication for years and he is only 40 years old right now.

Open RNY 07/2000
Seeking Revision GBS

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/13/09 2:45 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Hi Tochatty,
Thanks I have surgery on Oct 26th.   I had my 1 fill on Dec. 1st. my Dr put in 4cc.  It is hard sometimes, but overall I am very happy with my band.  I have lost 22 lbs from my surgery date.   Please keep encouraging your friends, they deserve a healthy life.
It's refreshing to see there are caring people here on the AZ site.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a Blessed New Year.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

StacysMom
on 12/12/09 4:02 pm
 I still don't know why posting the truth is interpreted as "putting down" someone.    Someone can read it and decide if they want to investigate further (or not)!  It can also be ignored.   Some people actually appreciate hearing what others have discovered and some just want to believe what they already have in their heads.    

Some posters have hidden agendas and promote things which are not accurate.   This creates a trend for biased information and that's no way to make an important decision.   It's not my business to tell someone what to think.  I only provide the info.   What someone does with it is THEIR business.

If some of you feel that this action is "putting down" others, so be it.   I just think of it as "intelligence gathering". 
Most Active