Update on Lizzie (Schlesinger's screw up fixed by Mayo)

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/09 12:19 am - AZ
I asked Lizzie if I could post an update and she sent me this to post:

To all who are wondering:   I had my surgery on Wed (today is Mon) and I got home Sat p.m. from Mayo. Yes, the surgeons did a great job...they really know all about Bariatric Surgery! They said that Schlesinger left my common channel a mere 50 cm...something I NEVER knew--because it's not mentioned in my op rpt.  Mayo doctors refer to this short of a CC as a "Very, Very Long Limb RNY" (Incidentally, created BY a Mayo doctor).  There was no need for someone like me (who weighed at the time, only 185 lbs) to have such a drastic procedure.  In all honesty, I did not know of the extreme shortness of this procedure that was done to me.  Mayo reversed it to 200 cm, which is now a more appropriate and realistic length, to their surgical techniques; this procedure being called a "Very Long Limb RNY".  My surgeon said that NOW my body can properly utilize its pancreatic digestive enzymes, which was not possible for the past year, due to the way that surgery left me.  (Prior to going to Mayo, I was faced with having a port put into my chest for 3x/wkly nutritional feedings and pancreatic enzymes.  Fortunately, I saw doctors who KNOW what they are dealing with!   My previous blood work (prior to the original ERNY) did not show ANY hemolytic anemia.  This is something that was acquired since that operation.  Mayo docs do not know if it will be able to be reversed.  I have had iron infusions and EPO, which have done nothing to raise my blood counts.    My husband is livid... I am left with these nutritional deficiencies that will take me months, or perhaps years, to recuperate from and still cannot work.  My husband wants compensation for the physical, mental, and now financial stress this has put on my/our live(s).  Will this help?  I don't know, because 50 cm is what Dr. S does (I now know from my conversations w/other Dr. S patients--esp those with complica- tions from this surgery).    I did not acquire this situation because I did not follow the diet protocol...rather, I was told by my surgeon (last year) that I was non-compliant.  I am NOT stupid. I was told by some on the OH site to just 'stick with it and see how it goes', but that is utterly ridiculous, when one's life is in the balance.  I think that OH is a good resource for those who are looking for and receiving good support.  But I am tired of reading all the hype about a surgeon who is just a man... his surgery did me no great service in the long-run.   I deactivated my profile, etc.  I will deal with my own health issues and get other support elsewhere.    Liz

JRinAZ
on 12/7/09 1:45 am - Layton, UT
Plz send Lizzie my love and best wishes.  I sincerely hope this "fix" surgery gets her back to the happy & healthy life she deserves!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ricki
on 12/13/09 9:54 pm
On December 7, 2009 at 9:45 AM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
Plz send Lizzie my love and best wishes.  I sincerely hope this "fix" surgery gets her back to the happy & healthy life she deserves!
Joyce, you are dispicable.  You are the one who was pushing Dr S on the revision boards a few years ago.  Now you have the nerve to try to send love and best wishes to someone he so totally screwed up and f*kd over?  You make me sick.  You're nothing but a shill who doesn't give a damn about anything but your own small life.
JRinAZ
on 12/14/09 1:55 am - Layton, UT
On December 14, 2009 at 5:54 AM Pacific Time, ricki wrote:
Joyce, you are dispicable.  You are the one who was pushing Dr S on the revision boards a few years ago.  Now you have the nerve to try to send love and best wishes to someone he so totally screwed up and f*kd over?  You make me sick.  You're nothing but a shill who doesn't give a damn about anything but your own small life.
I did promote Dr. Schlesinger.

*In light of all the facts and information that has recently been presented (i.e. lawsuits, possible lawsuits, post-ops sharing their experiences, my own recent experience with medical issues, and statistics posted on his OH profile that are in question) , I will no longer be recommending or discussing Dr. Schlesinger. 

*Staff from Dr. Schlesinger's office should not be discussing ANY patient with ANYONE.  I am a patient.

*I am in touch with the pt you have referred to (and others) and sincerely wish her well.

Joyce

(deactivated member)
on 12/14/09 10:54 am - AZ
On December 14, 2009 at 9:55 AM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
On December 14, 2009 at 5:54 AM Pacific Time, ricki wrote:
I did promote Dr. Schlesinger.

*In light of all the facts and information that has recently been presented (i.e. lawsuits, possible lawsuits, post-ops sharing their experiences, my own recent experience with medical issues, and statistics posted on his OH profile that are in question) , I will no longer be recommending or discussing Dr. Schlesinger. 

*Staff from Dr. Schlesinger's office should not be discussing ANY patient with ANYONE.  I am a patient.

*I am in touch with the pt you have referred to (and others) and sincerely wish her well.

Joyce

Just as we have been saying and you have been denying for two years.

Thank you for your honesty.

ReCurve
on 12/8/09 5:04 am, edited 12/8/09 5:07 am - Peoria, AZ
Joyce there is horses, and then there is studs. I'm sure you know the difference as far as where I'm coming from. You kind lady are a STUD!
You  were covering the office on the Saturday I came in for my first consult.i don't mid telling you I tried to bolt from the appointment 3 times before I got to the office. One of the few times being married to an incredible mean wife actually paid off.
Even after meeting Dr.S I was ready to hit the bricks and search the street for Phen Phen, and  take my chances.
If it wasn't for you and Jen working your magic or doing what you do. I would be dead right now.
And I seriously mean that.
I owe Dr. S my life for doing the surgery I know that. I don't mean to discount what he did.
But that being said the most difficult thing was getting me to come back to the office and follow up and if it wasn't for you and Jen, Noway I would have been back.
I just want you to remember and realize how much of an impact you have had on at least one persons life.
I also want to tell you I see how much effort you put in on the AZ board, and you make me want to be a better person, not that I ever will (it's not in my nature), but non the less you leave me impressed.
 Oh BTW Midwestern girl glad your fixed now GL
roseyredgal
on 12/8/09 5:28 am
While I can not agree about Joyce having anything to do with my new healthy life, but Jen and YOU, Gene are huge part of why I knew the DS was for me.  I met you and your wife at a support meeting and you answered a TON of my questions. 
Jen told me to do research on the DS.  I read things about all kinds of doctors good and bad.  I went to support groups and met actual patients that had surgery with Dr S.  I am certain that he is not perfect and I am sure he would agree.  But to have a campaign to discredit and ruin someones reputation is downright vendictive! 
I think something should be done legally to stop this person!  She does not like Joyce and is trying to ruin Dr S because of it.  Its all good to go on a website and make accusations that Dr S can not defend.  Any one can say what ever they wish on hear and it could all be lies!  The only real way to know what is best is to do your own research and ask the questions to the person directly.  MWG talks all about how there are so many lawsuits pending against Dr S.  Well she has been saying that for over a year now!  I looked up ALL of the bariatric surgeons in town, most of them had several lawsuits!  Some were dismissed with predjudice, meaning there was a payout of somesort.  Yet MWG would have us beleive that Dr S is the only crappy doc in town.  Wonder why that is?  Also if as she states, we are all paid posters, why hasn't Dr S removed the bad comments on his OH profile? So that only the good stuff shows up?  He does not have any board actions against him, unlike several other bariatric surgeons in town.  Yet MWG and her various other identities are on a Schlesinger smear campaign!! 
Maybe we should be asking her WHY?  How is this person really?  Maybe we just don't care!
roseyredgal
on 12/8/09 5:31 am
While I can not agree about Joyce having anything to do with my new healthy life, but Jen and YOU, Gene are huge part of why I knew the DS was for me.  I met you and your wife at a support meeting and you answered a TON of my questions.  Jen told me to do research on the DS.  I read things about all kinds of doctors good and bad.  I went to support groups and met actual patients that had surgery with Dr S.  I am certain that he is not perfect and I am sure he would agree.  But to have a campaign to discredit and ruin someones reputation is downright vendictive!  I think something should be done legally to stop this person!  She does not like Joyce and is trying to ruin Dr S because of it.  Its all good to go on a website and make accusations that Dr S can not defend.  Any one can say what ever they wish on hear and it could all be lies!  The only real way to know what is best is to do your own research and ask the questions to the person directly.  MWG talks all about how there are so many lawsuits pending against Dr S.  Well she has been saying that for over a year now!  I looked up ALL of the bariatric surgeons in town, most of them had several lawsuits!  Some were dismissed with predjudice, meaning there was a payout of somesort.  Yet MWG would have us beleive that Dr S is the only crappy doc in town.  Wonder why that is?  Also if as she states, we are all paid posters, why hasn't Dr S removed the bad comments on his OH profile? So that only the good stuff shows up?  He does not have any board actions against him, unlike several other bariatric surgeons in town.  Yet MWG and her various other identities are on a Schlesinger smear campaign!!  Maybe we should be asking her WHY?  How is this person really?  Maybe we just don't care!
JRinAZ
on 12/8/09 7:26 am - Layton, UT
Jen & Gene are 2 of my heroes too!  ....  You've made some great points!  The good news is that the web provides oodles of information and opinions...the bad news is that the web provides oodles of information and opinions AND......we don't always know how realiable any of it is!

Best wishes on your WL journey!

Joyce 

JRinAZ
on 12/8/09 7:14 am - Layton, UT

G,
I'll admit to bracing myself for yet another put down when I saw my name.  Thanks so much for your kind words and kudos to you for your success!!!  AND kudos to your "mean" wife for pushing you to the starting line!    It sounds like you will have the opportunity to influence many who are starting their journey......  Weigh 2 go!

**Can I add STUD to my signature line?  *winks*

Joyce 

Most Active