karibearr
on 12/3/09 2:31 pm - Mesa, AZ
 Hi Everyone...

I am new to the Az site as my family and I just relocated to Mesa. I have been thinking about WLS for years and was previously approved in california but for many reasons, I did not finish the process and have surgery. I am 35yrs old and the adoptive mother to an almost 4yr old boy with special needs. 

Now, I am considering it again and have United Health Care for health insurance. I have done some reading and know that I need to be on a 6month supervised diet before being approved.

I have a few questions if someone can help me out: Is the diet after all other paperwork has been submitted? Can anyone recommend a lap doc to me that accepts UHC insurance? Finally, having just moved to the area..I am in need of a PCP..can anyone recommend a good one to me?

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you better. Ive been following the posts for a few weeks now but haven't had the time to actually post anything until now.

Thanks
Kari
JRinAZ
on 12/4/09 12:11 am - Layton, UT
On December 3, 2009 at 10:31 PM Pacific Time, karibearr wrote:
 Hi Everyone...

I am new to the Az site as my family and I just relocated to Mesa. I have been thinking about WLS for years and was previously approved in california but for many reasons, I did not finish the process and have surgery. I am 35yrs old and the adoptive mother to an almost 4yr old boy with special needs. 

Now, I am considering it again and have United Health Care for health insurance. I have done some reading and know that I need to be on a 6month supervised diet before being approved.

I have a few questions if someone can help me out: Is the diet after all other paperwork has been submitted? Can anyone recommend a lap doc to me that accepts UHC insurance? Finally, having just moved to the area..I am in need of a PCP..can anyone recommend a good one to me?

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you better. Ive been following the posts for a few weeks now but haven't had the time to actually post anything until now.

Thanks
Kari
Hi Kari,
Welcome to AZ! 

UHC is farely standard (known as the gold ticket to WLS by many) so I suspect you have a zillion options.

I attend the support groups at Banner Gateway (big East valley on 60 and Higley & very comprehensive program)  where they do a lot of lapbands. (Podkamini & Schuster).  Dr. Schlesinger is in Tempe and he offers lapband and other options.  Dr. Blackstone, Dr. Juarez, Dr. Nurmil, Dr. DeBarros & Dr. Orris all do lapbands (spread all over Phoenix).

Dr. Marge Buttler offers a very small and personal practice and is at Banner Deseret (East Valley). 

I'd say the lapband rock star for AZ is probably Dr. Simpson.

You've got oodles of choices and many patient's who love each of the aforementioned surgeon's......Consider attending several free surgeon's seminars so you can find the one that matches your personality and needs the best.

Good luck!!!  LOSER'S ROCK!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/4/09 12:31 pm - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Hi Kari,
As Joyce said go to a few seminars and pick the right program that fit your need.  I started out with 1 program and changed after 4 month because of the fees they were charging.  I had surgery in Oct. and love the program I end up going with.   I move here from California 5 yrs ago also.  We have two adopted boys. They are now 7 and 8. 
Take Care and hope you find the right program.

Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

karibearr
on 12/4/09 12:36 pm, edited 12/4/09 12:37 pm - Mesa, AZ
 Thanks Wendy and Joyce! Ohhh by Lap I meant Laporscopic (sp) sorry for the confussion. Im planning on having Gastric Bypass. 

Kari
Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 12/4/09 1:03 pm - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
The Dr's at Banner Gateway does the RNY, Lapband, and the Sleeve.

Good Luck .
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

Janaz_lbc
on 12/10/09 6:29 am - Morristown, AZ

Hi Kari,
Welcome to AZ!
I also recently got an approval from UHC.  For my 6 month diet, I used weight logs from a Weigh****chers program I attended last year in addition, my PCP wrote a letter indicating that we discussed weight loss during 2 office visits while I was on WW program. 
So, get started with WW now.
Good luck,
J

Most Active