I wish ER docs were WLS savvy

Ann M.
on 11/15/09 1:59 am - Peoria, AZ
After stumbling over a speed hump in a parking lot yesterday and flying about 15 feet landing on my head and knee, the EMS and ambulance came and said I needed to be checked out at the hospital.  They took my blood sugar while I was still on the ground and it was at 52.  I told them I was probably dumping since I had eaten 1/2 of a pumpkin muffin (yeah, I know) and the stress of the fall was working against me.  They made me suck on some tube of glucose stuff (I checked and it had less than 15 grams of sugar) on the way to the ER.

When I got to the ER, the doc there wanted me to drink this cup of straight orange juice.  I refused because I knew what it woud do to me and I told him.  I tried explaining that my dumps result on a low blood sugar which, if I can drink water or a protein shake, I could get it back up naturally within 1/2 hour.  He told me he'd worked with plenty of RNY patients and he'd never heard of this.  He didn't argue with me but I found out later that he ordered an IV with sugar water to raise my blood sugar.  They never did give me any water to drink because I had hit my head and were worried about a concussion.

Anyway, about 1/4 of the way through the IV, my blood sugar came up to 86 and they were happy.  The xrays said no broken bones and the CT scan said no concussion.  I didn't need stitches in the gash by my eye because it wasn't deep enough (thank goodness).  They bandaged me up and sent me home.  They did ask if I wanted any Tylenol for my huge headache but I figured I could without their $50 Tylenol and I'd take my $.10 acetomenaphin when I got home.

I just wish the ER docs would get a clue on what to give or what not to give RNY patients.  He could have caused a big problem with me drinking that orange juice had I not known what that much sugar would do to me.  I'd have been on the heart floor with them thinking I was having a heart attack instead of a major league dump.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
dbuckeye
on 11/15/09 9:27 am - Sun City, AZ

Glad you knew what to do. We will have to train these Doctors here.  I'm training mine.

JRinAZ
on 11/16/09 10:05 am - Layton, UT
Hey Ann!
How ya feeling after the semi ran over you? 

thinking healing thoughts of you!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/09 9:14 am - AZ
On November 15, 2009 at 9:59 AM Pacific Time, Ann M. wrote:
After stumbling over a speed hump in a parking lot yesterday and flying about 15 feet landing on my head and knee, the EMS and ambulance came and said I needed to be checked out at the hospital.  They took my blood sugar while I was still on the ground and it was at 52.  I told them I was probably dumping since I had eaten 1/2 of a pumpkin muffin (yeah, I know) and the stress of the fall was working against me.  They made me suck on some tube of glucose stuff (I checked and it had less than 15 grams of sugar) on the way to the ER.

When I got to the ER, the doc there wanted me to drink this cup of straight orange juice.  I refused because I knew what it woud do to me and I told him.  I tried explaining that my dumps result on a low blood sugar which, if I can drink water or a protein shake, I could get it back up naturally within 1/2 hour.  He told me he'd worked with plenty of RNY patients and he'd never heard of this.  He didn't argue with me but I found out later that he ordered an IV with sugar water to raise my blood sugar.  They never did give me any water to drink because I had hit my head and were worried about a concussion.

Anyway, about 1/4 of the way through the IV, my blood sugar came up to 86 and they were happy.  The xrays said no broken bones and the CT scan said no concussion.  I didn't need stitches in the gash by my eye because it wasn't deep enough (thank goodness).  They bandaged me up and sent me home.  They did ask if I wanted any Tylenol for my huge headache but I figured I could without their $50 Tylenol and I'd take my $.10 acetomenaphin when I got home.

I just wish the ER docs would get a clue on what to give or what not to give RNY patients.  He could have caused a big problem with me drinking that orange juice had I not known what that much sugar would do to me.  I'd have been on the heart floor with them thinking I was having a heart attack instead of a major league dump.

They don't know anything about bands either.  One more reason I'm glad I revised to a sleeve.

MDIASMOORE1969
on 11/24/09 9:38 am - PHOENIX, AZ
 I hope you are feeling better!!  I remember when I went to the ER at Banner Good Samaritan and the intake person took my info and vitals, then told me to wait for them to call me back. I had informed her that I thought I had a bowel obstruction and explained that I had had RNY surgery, plus previous obstructions.  I waited from noon to 7 pm before they called me back.... and the doctor flipped when he saw my chart.  The lady had written in the symptoms area CONSTIPATED as my reason for visit.  OMG I was so mad and the doctor sent me right back for tests.  I spent the night there and the kink worked itself out so no surgery was needed.

As for orange juice...that's a huge no no for me as well. If I drink even a few sips, my blood sugar crashes within an hour and I get the dumping~that's so awful!! And yes, ER doctors should listen to patients as we know what some things can do to us and then decide if sugar/juice are a good idea.  

Ann M.
on 11/24/09 10:01 am - Peoria, AZ
I guess what really made me mad was when the ER doc said he'd taken care of many RNY patients and he'd never heard of low blood sugar being a symptom of dumping.  Duh!  If he'd ever talked to anyone, he'd have known that this happens a lot.  I used to get sick to my stomach but now I just have heart palpitations and really low blood sugar along with the sweats and shakes.

As for me, my face is still shades of yellow & green and my knees are still bruised but I didn't hurt myself too badly considering how far I flew and how hard I hit.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active