Can't decide... Lap band or Bypass?? HELP!

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/09 9:24 am - AZ
On November 11, 2009 at 7:43 PM Pacific Time, mars817 wrote:
I got a lapband in march of this year.  If I could do it over I would do a sleeve honestly.  I'm one of the .02% of people who are having complcations.  Funny enough I befriended the girl who had surgery before me and she just had her band out last week due to similar complications.  That being said I love my band and have lost 82lbs.  However my weight loss has really slowed down and is getting much more difficult (i'm sure the problems and all the fills/unfills are not helping with this).  The surgeon I'm seeing now (I've been through a whole bunch) won't even put a band in someone with a bmi over 50(mine was 53 before surgery) and doesn't feel the band is effective for the more massive weight loss.  I'm tending to agree after a lot of research and support group meeting attendence.  a lot of people seem to get stuck at 50-70lbs loss and stop there.

I'm looking at a possible revision now still the bypass scares me.  I don't like the rearranging of the anatomy and all the problems with that.  However the thing I want less is regaining the weight so...

I don't know if that made sense but I believe you could be succesful with the band but it will be more work and the statistics are better for the rny I believe.  also there can be a lot of complications post band.

Curioius, where are you getting the idea that bands only have a 0.02% complication stat?  It's MUCH higher than that, usually 1 in 4 have it removed in favor of another surgery type.

iisme
on 11/13/09 11:31 am
I went to quite a few surgeon's weight loss seminars to get a feel for them as people. I also wanted a surgeon that did more than just one sort of surgery. I was sold on the lap band at the time but I really wanted a good feeling of what was best for me.
I ended up with RNY and very happy but I honestly thank God everyday that I have RNY and not the lap band. My insurance changed just 5 months after my RNY and now there is a WLS exclusion. If I had any complications and had to have it removed I'd be back to square one. Not to mention my fills wouldn't have been covered with the new insurance.
You have to decide what is best for you. Look at all options   DS, Lapband, RNY and sleeve (I think I got them all)
Unfortunately my insurance would only cover the lap band or RNY. I only had 2 choices.

10 pounds loss pre-op
tyx3mom
on 11/16/09 1:36 am
you asked my opinion, ill tell you.  Dont do this half way.  Have the bypass.  I see so many people that have the lap band that feel like failures because its not working for them.  If you are going to have the surgery do it all the way.  You will be so happy. Your only regret will be that you didnt have it sooner.  good luck.

I have lost 115#'s.  I had my surgery on January 20, 2004.

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/09 9:27 am - AZ
On November 9, 2009 at 8:25 PM Pacific Time, calicrow wrote:
So I've been on this 3 month diet program my insurance requires and I have my last appointment tomorrow before I can schedule surgery. I went into this whole thing gung ho on getting a lap band but have been persuaded towards the bypass by my surgeons/dieticians/ and basically everyone out of Scottsdale bariatric. I'm still on the fence though. I am scarred about the extra skin thing and hear it is worse with the bypass. I want to lean towrds the band because I feel my problem is really a "lack of self-control" problem and feel it is just the right tool for me. But I do weigh 475 which is why I am being recomended the bypass over the band. I can't decide. Anyone that want's to share their experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated. PLease and thank you all in advance.

Sadly the stats for the band are quite poor.  Complications are very high.  Revision is common.

I'd look at a sleeve if you are not a grazer and if you are a grazer DS.

ReCurve
on 11/19/09 5:49 am - Peoria, AZ
i sent you a pm calicrow
Most Active