in need of some assistance.

missmolliemayhem
on 11/9/09 12:25 pm - Glendale, AZ
so i met with a doctor today to discuss getting banded. i have two insurance companies... one of which is great and i definitely qualify!  (BCBS of AZ [PPO] and United [PPO]) but my issue is, i want a doctor that isn't so much concerned on what i'm paying out of pocket... and would rather see it happen.

any suggestions? i just didn't feel like he was interested in my best interest, moreso how soon i could come up with the money.
Paperboy
on 11/9/09 1:56 pm
I would suggest you meet with another Dr.  You need to be comfortable with your surgeon.  There are many surgeons out there that will accept those insurance and program fees can vary greatly from surgeon to surgeon.  I loved the Dr. that did my surgery and had a very good relationship with him but have stopped referring people over to him because of the fees the co-surgeon fees they started charging people.  For most of us out there the dollars do matter.  Especially now days.

Good luck in your journey.

Todd
JRinAZ
on 11/10/09 12:42 am - Layton, UT
On November 9, 2009 at 8:25 PM Pacific Time, missmolliemayhem wrote:
so i met with a doctor today to discuss getting banded. i have two insurance companies... one of which is great and i definitely qualify!  (BCBS of AZ [PPO] and United [PPO]) but my issue is, i want a doctor that isn't so much concerned on what i'm paying out of pocket... and would rather see it happen.

any suggestions? i just didn't feel like he was interested in my best interest, moreso how soon i could come up with the money.
You do have great insurance so you should be good to go with any of the programs.  You are the consumer.  Find the surgeon that works for you.  All the seminars are free BUT.....not all of them remain free.  Some have program fees attached.

Don't worry so much if a doc seems to have your best interest at heart or not.  Research and find surgeons with happy, successful post-ops and great stats.  Attending support groups around the valley gives you a heads up as to who is loving life and which procedure they had and which surgeon they chose.  The group on Saturday at St Lukes is open to all.

It's a great journey  Be the

master of your own ship:)

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

sunshine86
on 11/12/09 4:41 am
I would encourage you to look around and consider other surgeons... there are a lot of fantastic ones in the area.

I met with and "interviewed" 4 or 5 surgeons and programs before choosing mine, and I could not be any more pleased with my decision. Dr. Schuster is a fantastic surgeon, and his staff is absolutely wonderful.

My best advice, if you get a bad gut feeling or don't feel like you "click" with the surgeon or program, explore your options. This is a very large step that will undoubtedly affect you for the rest of your life. Make sure that you are confident in, and comfortable with, the folks who are helping you through the process.

Good luck, I hope everything works out! :)
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

Most Active