new to az

denise777
on 11/6/09 6:17 am - Tucson, AZ
hi all,
i am fairly new to the tucson area and am looking for some great support groups. i had rny 1 year ago in alaska and am about 8 pounds from goal (yay). i'm also looking for a new primary care provider and wondering if anyone can recommend one that is bariatric/wls friendly and knowledgeable. i am retired military and have tricare prime for insurance. any info is welcome.
thanks,
denise

marcie K.
on 11/9/09 11:02 am - Sahuarita, AZ

I mainly go to lap band groups but for rny there is tuswls they have a yahoo group you should sign up for.  They meet 2-3 times a month and I sometimes do the activities they have.  also carondelets meets I believe the first tues of the month and last sat and that is mostly bandsters but is open to every surgery. 

denise777
on 11/11/09 11:54 am - Tucson, AZ
wow, thanks for answering me....54 views and only 1 reply, oh well. i'll check out the yahoo group and see what they have going. btw...my husband and i plan to move to sauharita in february....any groups or activities going on down there?
again, thanks for answering my post,
denise

marcie K.
on 11/11/09 12:03 pm - Sahuarita, AZ
no groups or much of anything to do here:P  well we have a gym and pools and a lake that is a mile around but it is pretty boring.  I have a friend here who had vsg and we have been walking at the lake so u could join us.  the yahoo group has been pretty quiet lately but is a really good group of folks:)
denise777
on 11/12/09 3:32 am - Tucson, AZ
ok, so more miles on the jeep, living in alaska we did LOTS of traveling for less relevant things
one of the draws for sahaurita (i've got to learn to spell that right) is the quietness and the beauty of the lake and the trails and the bicycle friendly community. i would love to meet you and your friend for some walking at the lake.
i realized that i HAD joined that yahoo group when i first moved here but was really too busy to settle down and get involved with it. when i went into it last night to join, i was already there, silly me. so i got the listings of the groups and plan to attend the one on monday at NWMC.
again, thanks for the info and hope to meet you and your friend at a meeting or at the lake.
denise

JRinAZ
on 11/11/09 11:58 pm - Layton, UT
On November 11, 2009 at 7:54 PM Pacific Time, denise777 wrote:
wow, thanks for answering me....54 views and only 1 reply, oh well. i'll check out the yahoo group and see what they have going. btw...my husband and i plan to move to sauharita in february....any groups or activities going on down there?
again, thanks for answering my post,
denise
Hiya Denise and may I give you a tardy big WELCOME to AZ!!! 

I didn't respond to your earlier post because I assumed the Tucson buds would give you the info.  My bad!

I'm the spouse of a retired military (Good Bless our Troops!) and know you are in a great area for coverage.  I don't have a clue about pcp's down there but if you want to travel our direction (north to Phoenix) then I can hook you up with the best!

Tucson is always invited to ou big WLS events and many of my bestest buds live in your neck of the woods!  They travel in carpools on occasion to hit big support groups and activities.

In fact.....SAVE THE DATE:  FEB 13th 2010  ....."Lovin Life on the Lighter Side" will be at the Phoenix Marriott Mesa with an entire day of information, inspiration and fun!  There will be an exhibitors hall with samples and demos galore!  All for WLS Peeps!

As for support group info.  Go to the Message board of the AZ forum and read back a few pages until you find the "support group info details" or something like that.....I posted ALL the updated info for the entire state.

Cyber hugggzz your way!  We are a great group of support buds but we are out livin life and don't always get to the boards often. 

Tell us more about yourself, K? 

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

denise777
on 11/12/09 3:48 am - Tucson, AZ
hi joyce, and thanks for the post, and the welcome to AZ. i did read back and also found the info in the Tuswl yahoo group. i plan to attend the meeting coming up this monday at northwest medical.
we currently live in the sw area of tucson up on starpass but will be moving to sahaurita in february. we are in an apt that my husbands previous contracting company put us in and our lease is up in feb. so we're looking for a house in a less populated area and have decided sahaurita would fit the bill. it's beautiful down there! my husband works at the VA hospital and so it would be a good drive for him to work. i am a nurse also but i'm currently not working (and not looking either).
i had my RNY in anchorage alaska oct 08 (was living in fairbanks tho) and started out at 242 pounds, am now down to 152 (at 5' 6) with about 7 pounds or so to goal.
will mark the date in feb in my calendar and see what shapes up around that time. it sounds like a good time with lots of good info. and it's always nice to meet people you talk with online that share your journey.
take care and again, thanks for the post and info!
denise

Most Active