LAP-BAND SEMINAR!!! --

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 9:21 am - AZ
On November 16, 2009 at 5:03 PM Pacific Time, terrysimpson wrote:
I have not seen the website- but the same changes in lifestyle are used for all weight loss patients. I saw the ad in Phoenix magazine where she shows a successful lap band patient and how she helped her.
Regarding same weight loss as bypass-- yes- long term data is clear - it does -- 3 year data has P value that is insignificant, and five year data is the same.

I am not here to defend her - but just the data

I think we are reading verrrrry different studies.  Lap Band is well known for slow and low weight loss.  You can pick and choose the studies you wish to read, it doesn't change reality.

You are still missing the point, obviously.  It is deceptive to show a photo of an RNY patient while pushing bands.  Honesty, it's not a horror.  Really.

You are here to defend her and there is nothing wrong with that.  It's the deceit that is an issue.

terrysimpson
on 11/16/09 9:23 am - Scottsdale, CA
Not here to defend Darcie- I am here to provide the balance.

There are short term studies and there are long term studies- and this is not a matter of picking and choosing them - this is what is out there.

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 9:42 am - AZ
On November 16, 2009 at 5:23 PM Pacific Time, terrysimpson wrote:
Not here to defend Darcie- I am here to provide the balance.

There are short term studies and there are long term studies- and this is not a matter of picking and choosing them - this is what is out there.

The band is a short term solution to a very long term problem.  I have not met one single person in real time that has tolerated the band long term.  All different surgeons... including you.  I was the perfect bandster, I honestly did overhaul my diet.  I did everything just right.  Some days I could eat anything, the very next day I couldn't swallow my own spit.  It's the progression of the band.

I lived it.  My friends live it.  They are revising just like I did.

With all due respect you are not about balance, your website proves that.

Darcie... I think she's a loon.  There, I wrote it.  I think she has problems and issues.  I will not be her target any longer.

Want links?  I'll show you what I'm writing about.

terrysimpson
on 11/16/09 9:51 am - Scottsdale, CA
good to have that revision business-- don't treat a band well, have them revise to something that will be revised later. 

Let us not talk about balance- a view is a view. Balance is the data

How long is long term? Do you want to talk to people who have had the band since 1999, since 1994? Or sleeve patients a  year out--
Or the sleeve patients I have put a band over.
Check your inbox here at obh

I do appreciate your comments- and we can go back and forth for a while- but I need to have some tea. Have a good evening
(deactivated member)
on 11/16/09 10:01 am - AZ
On November 16, 2009 at 5:51 PM Pacific Time, terrysimpson wrote:
good to have that revision business-- don't treat a band well, have them revise to something that will be revised later. 

Let us not talk about balance- a view is a view. Balance is the data

How long is long term? Do you want to talk to people who have had the band since 1999, since 1994? Or sleeve patients a  year out--
Or the sleeve patients I have put a band over.
Check your inbox here at obh

I do appreciate your comments- and we can go back and forth for a while- but I need to have some tea. Have a good evening

Tea... dirty bath water. ;o)  It goes to show the diffences in people.  Not everyone is cut out for a band or tea. ;o)

I was the absolute perfect band patient.  I played by the rules, I did everything right.  I treated my band like a goddess.  The band nearly killed me with malnutrition.  I didn't have enough days where I could eat healthy foods like broccoli.  By the time I had my revision I couldn't even go shopping anymore, I couldn't walk that far.  I looked like a crack ***** I was so skinny.  If I would have blackened out my two front teeth it would have finished the look.

You are simply not being honest with your band claims.  Do not mistake this for thinking you are a bad surgeon, you are not and that is not my claim.  But the fact remains, banding provides the least weight loss of all surgery types.  For you to claim otherwise is dishonest.

Long term... well, it's long term.  Studies do not prove your claims.  Big studies or little ones.  They do not prove your claims.

First they had the mesh band.  That didn't work.

Then they had the non adjustable band.  That didn't work.

Then they had the small adjustable bands.  That didn't work.

Now they have the mega bands, those don't work.

Bands don't work, period.

I still don't get it.  YOU are one of the better WLS surgeons out there.  Why not sleeves???  I get the malabsorption thing, I am one that I would never be compliant with supplements, I'm not now!  It would be a horror with bypass or DS.  But sleeves?  I don't get it.  Why don't you do them?'

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/09 8:38 am
well damn!  What a hubalaboo that turned out to be!
(deactivated member)
on 11/22/09 8:59 am - AZ
On November 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM Pacific Time, Michelle J. wrote:
well damn!  What a hubalaboo that turned out to be!

HA!  Did you see the other thread?  The Harassment thread?  That was pretty funny.

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/09 9:08 am
Oh yeah I did. 

Its all kinda coming together now.  Dr Simpson did my surgery and recently sent out an email to pts that the office was redoing all their pt info-the Lap Band book was "heavy on recipes,"  he also was asking pts to submit their own recipes (mos of the ones in his original book were Darcie's.)

I guess they didn't go their seperate ways on bad terms since he kinda jumped to her defense.

Also its coming back to me now...I remember saying how I found OH when I was a new pt and he tried to steer me away from the boards.  Now I'm even more curious as to why.
(deactivated member)
on 11/22/09 9:24 am - AZ
On November 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM Pacific Time, Michelle J. wrote:
Oh yeah I did. 

Its all kinda coming together now.  Dr Simpson did my surgery and recently sent out an email to pts that the office was redoing all their pt info-the Lap Band book was "heavy on recipes,"  he also was asking pts to submit their own recipes (mos of the ones in his original book were Darcie's.)

I guess they didn't go their seperate ways on bad terms since he kinda jumped to her defense.

Also its coming back to me now...I remember saying how I found OH when I was a new pt and he tried to steer me away from the boards.  Now I'm even more curious as to why.

I think message boards are critical for post ops.  You learn sooo much and gather so much information.  For example, if you went to Simpson's website you might believe that is accurate information and go with it.  Message boards show people there are other places that provide more accurate info AND other WLS types.  Also, self pays discover cheaper doctors, cheaper countries, better alternatives.  It costs band mills patients when patients discover other surgery types.

A pretty good reason for a business person to ask people to avoid message boards. ;o)

sunshine86
on 11/3/09 12:15 am
I noticed that as well. No offense, but showing an RNY patient's weight loss on a sugery website for banders.... is very misleading... and kind of shady-looking.

Just another thing that would make me think twice.

HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

Most Active