Stressed Newbie...long vent...

camommy
on 10/22/09 9:48 am - Phoenix, AZ
 Hi...I have been a lurker for some months now and a researcher of WLS for some years. I had a lap band removed a few years back after only having for 3 months. I kept having burning pains around my port and I wasn't getting any restriction. I also must say it wasn't just the band that wasn't working,I am at fault as well I didn't follow the food guidelines. I ate just as if I didn't have a band. I was upset and felt like a failure when I had the band removed but as usual I just stuffed my mouth and my feelings because no one wanted me to do this anyway so I felt like everyone was saying I told you so.

Now, my dh insurance will cover WLS in 2010 and now I am thinking maybe I should try it again. I have moved to Phoenix and life has changed drastically!! I am a stay at home mom and in '10,I will be a full time student. I have tried so many diets my latest hcg. I haven't told my family or friends that I was on hcg nor do I plan to tell them I am going to have WLS.

My dilemma is picking a surgeon and procedure!! I thought I had finally decided on ds which limits me in Phoenix to Dr. Schlesinger (traveling out of town isn't an option..I have a 5yr.old no family or friends here that could watch her nor could my dh get off and I just don't want to have a surgeon in lets say CA if I have complications..) so back to the only ds I have found is dr.S uness there is another dr that is on Aetna. Ok,,,back to my problems I am really scared of WLS of the risk and most important me failing again. I was considering the lap band due to less risk but that is crazy since I know that will not work but then I second guess myself and say maybe it will but I don't want to try it out of fear and that would be my only reason for doing it. So ..my choices are ds and rny.

Since I am leaning towards DS I have gone to Dr.S seminar and will have my 1 one 1 next week did my labs today but as I read this board and the past messages I don't know if I should go with this surgeon or not so I research Dr. Juarez for a rny but I find az board action against in '08 for an lying on wls patient records in '02 resulting in the patient needing a blood transfusion and the insurance company dropping him so I am thinking maybe I shouldn't do this...who can I trust I read the messages with dialogue going back and forth about Dr. S and him butchering and skills and the good reviews are not real and etc...etc...then I see Dr.Blackstone but I have read some not so good things to..I mean I know dr's aren't god and make mistakes etc...but with all the risk I really want to TRUST my surgeon but how can I do that in such a short amount of time and going off my feelings and reviews....sheesh...I just don't know..sorry if I am ranting but I hope you all understand!
I am going to the 1 one 1 with Dr.S because I want the DS and I will go to the support groups there.Hopefully I will get some facts and a good idea about this dr.  He   may not recommend the DS due to my BMI and weight which is 239...

Again...sorry so long just sharing my feelings and thoughts ...
JRinAZ
on 10/22/09 11:15 am - Layton, UT
Hey there camommy!

Big Hug

Weigh 2 go for doing your research!  .....just keep studying....take a lot of what you hear (from all sides) with a discerning view.  Hang with other DS'ers in the valley and see what they think.......Maybe hit other support groups? 

As a "lightweight", the DS would probably be perfect if the common channel were modest....Or have you considered a sleeve?  Great restriction!  Dr. Blacktone, Dr. Schlesinger, Dr. Podkamini, & Dr. Schuster do them in the area.  There are a couple of surgeon's in Tucson as well that do the sleeves.

Let us know how we can support you !!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

camommy
on 10/22/09 11:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
 Thanks so much for replying and I will try other support groups as well....good idea!! Sadly, the Aetna coverage under my dh's employer will not cover sleeve says it  is investigational.

They have VBG as an option if you have certain issues but according to the information from dh employer they only listed lap band,rny,and ds so I will call them and see if VBG is also an option.
Thanks again for the reply and the dr's listed. I will check them out and see if they are Aetna providers.
Betty S.
on 10/23/09 6:31 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi there, and welcome!  I want to throw something your way to also consider...all of the surgeons here in the Phoenix area will have people who love them, and people who hate them.  I have seen odd comments from people about different surgeons that make me wonder what motive they have.
Sometime I think it's human nature to believe that 'my team is better than your team'...does that make sense?  And is it real?
I worked in a hospital for 7 years, and I can tell you that NO doctor is perfect, just like we patients are not exactly like each other.  We all have different bodies, attitudes, problems. 
I had Dr Schlesinger, and yes, I had an open surgery.  Was it harder than having a lap?  sure..but I have a TON of scars on my belly from my failed lap band, and the attempts to fix it.  I had scarring and a hernia.  I also don't heal so well...so having an open was a no-brainer- and I healed BEAUTIFULLY from it.  And no complications.  Different people argue that the lap is better...yes, I don't argue that recovery is faster.  But 82 pounds lighter and looking back, I am very happy I did it this way.  I know he saw all my insides when he was in there...not just through a scope.  Okay,, I'm done with that, but I mainly wanted to tell you that you need to do exactly what you are doing....research.  Not just opinions, but real results.  See the doctors, talk to them.  This is a decision only YOU make.  And the surgery decision should be between you and your surgeon...what works for you doesn't always mean it's best for me. 
On another note, I'm a failed bandster also, and it was horribly depressing to lose it.  I DO have it in the back of my mind that this could fail, but it won't!  I won't let it.  You will be successful, too...

camommy
on 10/24/09 10:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for you reply and encouragement !! I will keep on keeping on!!.
Most Active