RNY revisions/reversals..need opinions on surgeon

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/09 3:09 am
Hi everyone.  I am hoping to have a reversal to my RNY (done in 2002).  Laundry list of complications.

I have selected a surgeon ( I think).  But I have read some unflattering things on this website about him.

Would all of you who've had an RNY revised or reversed PLEASE tell me about your experience?

I'd like to know how your surgeon was.  What did you think of him?  What were your complications after the revision/reversal?

I don't want to give my surgeon's name, because I want to hear about ALL of your experiences...with different surgeons.

If you prefer, private message me.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!

Christine
JRinAZ
on 10/22/09 9:33 am - Layton, UT
On October 22, 2009 at 10:09 AM Pacific Time, ragarone wrote:
Hi everyone.  I am hoping to have a reversal to my RNY (done in 2002).  Laundry list of complications.

I have selected a surgeon ( I think).  But I have read some unflattering things on this website about him.

Would all of you who've had an RNY revised or reversed PLEASE tell me about your experience?

I'd like to know how your surgeon was.  What did you think of him?  What were your complications after the revision/reversal?

I don't want to give my surgeon's name, because I want to hear about ALL of your experiences...with different surgeons.

If you prefer, private message me.

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!

Christine

I was scheduled for a stomaphyx (don't ever sign up for one of those), after researching several types of revisions.  But, with some medical complications requiring an exploratory surgery scheduled in a fast hury, I canceled the stomaphyx (yay!) and had the Extended Rny at the same time as my exploratory bowel surgery.

I had a chemical face peel at the same time and honestly had more pain from that recovery than from the Revision.

I'd like to know how your surgeon was.    My surgeon was Dr. E. Schlesinger What did you think of him?  I think he's great!  He was patient with me when I went through a phase of blaming him for everything including hiccups!  He has researched in my behalf, taken phone calls weird hours and has been kind and generous with his time and expertise post-op. 

What were your complications after the revision/reversal?
My complications are on the general list of those who have highly malabsorptive procedures.  I had gas/bloating pain.  I had blood sugar dives.  I had explosive liquid BM.  I had fowel smelling breath, skin and gas.  I tired easily and had some emotional lows that were hard to pull out of.

BUT  .....and there's a big but here (not on me any more!  LOL!) ........I was fighting the suggested fixes rather than just diving in and doing them!  Once I contacted Vitalady and got all the vites needed, I started getting better almost immediately.  I had post-op consults with Dr. Juarez, Dr. Simpson and a couple of out of state surgeon's besides Dr. Schlesinger.  They all concurred with his recommendations.  That just confirmed my confidence in him.

I had a shorter common channel than most (50 centimeters) so it's not surprising that I've had a few more issues than some and taken longer to recover than others.  I'm diligent with my labs though and will continue to tweak my vitamins and supplements with the results of each set of labs.  Since I've gone gluten free; my life is fantastic!  In fact, I'm getting set for plastic surgery finally!  Woooooo Hoooooo!

Would I go with the exact same guy and same surgery?  .....Same surgeon but longer common channel (100).

Hope that helps!  Good luck!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ginau
on 10/22/09 10:19 am - mesa, AZ
Christine

Revision or reversed ???  witch one ?  there is a huge differance  there.

I had a revision done By Dr Schlesinger. I have no regrets ... except that I didn't choose him to do the correct surgery the first time around.

You are going to get all kinds of crappy emails - get ready !!!

I
would be more than happy to give you my input - but not in this setting.  feel free to p.m.  me .   It's not that I have anything  to hide or bad to say - I just dont want  it taken out of context ..

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active