ERNY Diet

tochatty
on 10/17/09 2:17 am - Scottsdale, AZ
So I wanted to find out as you hear some many different things from people.

After you have had revision and have had ERNY - do you follow more of  a:

Low GI diet
South Beach diet
Atkins diet
Don't worry about it and jus****ch protein and low carb

I want to incorporate what I can into my lifestyle now so I know I am on a good road of success for after my surgery.  I have been doing protein drinks since my original surgery 10 years ago, usually those are low carb or no carb with over 20 grams of protein.  I prefer not to drink my calories but those are only approx 100 calories for one drink.

What type of diet do you follow after surgery?

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

JRinAZ
on 10/17/09 1:29 pm - Layton, UT
Jennifer,
I'm on maintenance so my diet has changed a bit... but,

I eat gluten free to keep the bloating at bay.
Protein grams= shoot for over 200 daily  (3 protein drinks, around 30 grams for 120 calories, proteinex shots X 2 a day are  18 grams of protein)
I do NOTcount calories.
I count carbs. (no more than 60 - 80 now ....while losing, I was under 20 grams a day)
My diet is more like a Mediterranian/Atkins type diet.  I eat a lot of dense/lean protein and a lot of (spinach, tomaotes, squash, green beans, sweet potatoes, peppers, etc) I incorporate real butter, real cream, real cheese, and Extra virgin olive oil....I try and have salmon often as well as avocados.  When you do NOT absorb the oils and very little protein; you need to have those 2 things as your focus.  Our bodies need a bit of oil and definitely need protein!

I'm interested in people's diets as well!  Good post!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Jan C.
on 10/18/09 3:41 am, edited 10/18/09 5:34 am - Cedar Creek, MO
sounding dumb but what is ERNY  ,? 

http://community.webshots.com/user/mimicook?vhost=community

GOD BLESS YOU TODAY
JAN COOK

JRinAZ
on 10/18/09 6:56 am - Layton, UT
Hey Jan!
You're not dumb at all!  ERny is an acronym for Extended Roux en Y.  It is most commonly known as a Distal but usually differs by measurement of the common channel.  More is bypassed and the common channel is shorter.  You can put ERny in the O.H. search and get some information.

You'll hear it often in Arizona because we have a surgeon who specializes in revisions and will often revise a proximal Rny who has had some breakdown of their 1st surgery and make them an Extended Rny.  This increases the malabsorption so post-ops have a better opportunity to get to goal and stay there.

It is similar to a DS with the lower half.
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Jan C.
on 10/18/09 2:01 pm - Cedar Creek, MO
thanks for the info....maybe that is what i need lol ....i have never gotten down anywhere near where i was suppose to ....i am 5ft3 ins and still weight 165, i do wear size 10s but need to lose another 30 pounds to be down to normal BMI.... ....

http://community.webshots.com/user/mimicook?vhost=community

GOD BLESS YOU TODAY
JAN COOK

tochatty
on 10/30/09 4:16 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Joyce this is very informative thank you so much for providing this information. 

I'm not a cook, and wonder what are some great ideas in order to eat 5 or 6 small meals per day with tons of protein.  I know at the support group you mentioned turkey roll ups which is a great idea. 

This is where I get stuck the most.  Tuna is probably another good choice, it is portable and can easily be taken to work. 

Anyone else have ideas?  I would love for you to share. 

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

Most Active