Newbie Advice Sought

WillowZuniga
on 10/6/09 1:27 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I'm been researching WLS for a couple of months now and am looking for some advice.  I had a consultation with Dr Simpson this week and am now even loss confident that lap band or Dr Simpson is the way to go. 

I think I need to find a shrink that can help me learn coping skills since McDonalds or DQ is my solace.

Has anyone found a shrink they would recommend?  I checked the psyche link under AZ Resources and a lot of those reviews are very dated (5+ yrs old).

Also, can folks share their experiences with Phx area lab-band surgeons - good or bad? 

I hope to check out the support group at Chandler Reg'l later this month and hope to learn lots from everyone else's experience
JRinAZ
on 10/6/09 2:27 pm - Layton, UT
My favorite psychs in all the land......

Dr. Buddy Messer (Scottsdale Bariatric/ Dr. Blackstone)

Dr. Janie Goodhall (Dr. Podkamini & Dr. Schuster at Banner Gateway)

Dr. Barbara Maxwell (Dr. Schlesinger at Tempe St Lukes)

Dr. Siimpson is an awesome lapband surgeon but Podkamini has zillions of successful lapband patients too. 

Dr. Marge Buttler did her fellowship with Dr. Simpson and gives the "small office" one on one kind of care that we all dream of.  She's out of Banner Desert in Mesa.

Good luck and let us know how we can support you!  .... I'll see you at the Chandler support group!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

*Malena* M.
on 10/8/09 7:37 am - Phoenix, AZ
I second Dr Maxwell.  That is who I saw for my psych eval.

329 (pre-op) 167 (4-22-10) 150 (lowest and goal Summer 07) 
Wife to Russ and Mommy to Elizabeth "Libby"

Lilypie - (mr7x) 
Lilypie - (FJkW) 
liveinphx
on 10/9/09 10:56 pm - Phoenix, AZ
If you are looking for a therapist to do on-going counseling I would recommend Dr Lisa Galper (Hayden and Shea area). She specializes in women and compulsive eating issues. She does individual and group and is awesome. She is experienced in working with post op WLS clients. Her number is 480-315-9311.
I would recommend that whoever you choose you do sort of a pre-screen on the phoen with them to see if you think they would be a good fit for you.
Please feel free to tell Lisa that Barb recommended her (and no I do not get a kickback lol). I just know she is an awesome therapist.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
Most Active