2 ??'s Vitamins&Support Groups

Jeannie O.
on 10/3/09 4:15 pm - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 02/15/10 with
Hi All,

I changed surgeons and the new surgeon strongly suggested I consider RNY instead of Lapband because of my high BMI (56).  He says I'm a good candidate for both but thinks that because I'm young, healthy (with the little exception of being 180lbs overweight lol) and don't have any co-morbidity's (which may prove to be a problem with my insurance, go figure they want me to be falling apart before they will pay) that I will be happier with the faster and more substantial weight loss of RNY.  So, I'm just starting to do research on it and I was wondering how much a month should I expect to spend on Vitamins and which support groups would be good to attend to hear from those with RNY experience?  By the way I'm in East Mesa so I definitely will attend the next Banner support group which I believe is on hidden calories so I was curious if you know of another you would suggest. 

Looking forward to hearing from you all! 
Jeannie 
With Positive Thoughts, JeannieO.                                   
ginau
on 10/4/09 9:02 am - mesa, AZ
Jeannie

Depends on the quality of vitamins you choose and  how your labs come back.  I can tell you I take   a A,D,E,K from Bariatric Advantage, an Iron, calcium. B-12. and Mega B, Biotin and Zinc for my hair .  I buy in bulk and it runs me around $30 per month on average.

I like the banner support group . they have 3 per month. there is also a Chandler support group  at months end ( peer lead) . and Tempe St Lukes has a group 2nd Sat of the month with Dr Schlesinger.    all get a good mix of patients  and are open to all. 

Good Luck on your research.  keep us upto date on what you choose to do. 

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

JRinAZ
on 10/6/09 8:29 am - Layton, UT
On October 3, 2009 at 11:15 PM Pacific Time, Jeannie O. wrote:
Hi All,

I changed surgeons and the new surgeon strongly suggested I consider RNY instead of Lapband because of my high BMI (56).  He says I'm a good candidate for both but thinks that because I'm young, healthy (with the little exception of being 180lbs overweight lol) and don't have any co-morbidity's (which may prove to be a problem with my insurance, go figure they want me to be falling apart before they will pay) that I will be happier with the faster and more substantial weight loss of RNY.  So, I'm just starting to do research on it and I was wondering how much a month should I expect to spend on Vitamins and which support groups would be good to attend to hear from those with RNY experience?  By the way I'm in East Mesa so I definitely will attend the next Banner support group which I believe is on hidden calories so I was curious if you know of another you would suggest. 

Looking forward to hearing from you all! 
Jeannie 
Jeannie,
With the standard proximal Rny, your vites are pretty basic:  multi vite twice a day (I use the cheapo little Walgreens house brand).....iron once a day, calcium citrate middle of the day, & a sublingual B12 daily. .....  other vites for some....less for others but the bottom line is that they are way cheaper than prescription meds that may be needed for typical co-morbidities.  I spend around $60 a month on my vites but I have a very aggressive ERny.

See you tonight at the Banner Gateway support group????  6 pm right?

I definitely need my dose of Donna Drama (their nutritionist) to get myself back on track!!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Jeannie O.
on 10/6/09 1:30 pm - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 02/15/10 with
Jeanna & Joyce,

Thank you for the information, I'm glad to hear the vite expense is alot less than I was expecting.  I'll have to see/meet you at the next Banner Gateway support group because I totally had my days mixed up and was thinking it was tomorrow night ugh!!

Have a great week!
Jeannie
With Positive Thoughts, JeannieO.                                   
Most Active