Self-Fixing Slips? I'm ASHAMED!

Candi Y.
on 9/20/09 6:48 am - Cottonwood, AZ

Ok, its been forever and thats a part of my problem.  I am so ashamed, I used to be like the "POSTER PERSON" for the Lapband and now I feel like a FAILURE.  Its been about a week of STARVING since I got the devastating news that I have a minor(?) slip, not sure if there is such a thing, but I'll continue, I had fallen off the wagon and I knew I was making WRONG choices and falling off the excercise wagon and just started letting myself go AGAIN, so it had been over a year since seeing my Doc and just thought lets get an x-ray and a possible fill, haven't had a fill since June of 2007 and a REALITY SMACK IN THE FACE, thats really all I was looking for when I went and instead got a REAL SLAP IN THE FACE when the x-ray showed a slip, so I'm over my PITY PARTY now and really just coming to you guys for any opions on this.  The Doc has me on LIQUIDS for 3 weeks to see if this slip will SELF-FIX itself???  Thats my questions and concern, now that I'm done beeting myself up over this I've been doing a little research and NO WHERE have I seen a slip FIX ITSELF... Does anyone know if they have heard of this?  I am a self-pay person and another surgery would just be OUT OF THE QUESTIONS in these financial times.  I was banded in march of '07, lost over 100lbs and documented my whole journey and then lost track and now I'm petrified I'm in real trouble. Thanks for being my ears and if anyone has heard of this, please let me know! As always THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE AGAIN - Candi

JRinAZ
on 9/21/09 1:42 am - Layton, UT
On September 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM Pacific Time, Candi Y. wrote:

Ok, its been forever and thats a part of my problem.  I am so ashamed, I used to be like the "POSTER PERSON" for the Lapband and now I feel like a FAILURE.  Its been about a week of STARVING since I got the devastating news that I have a minor(?) slip, not sure if there is such a thing, but I'll continue, I had fallen off the wagon and I knew I was making WRONG choices and falling off the excercise wagon and just started letting myself go AGAIN, so it had been over a year since seeing my Doc and just thought lets get an x-ray and a possible fill, haven't had a fill since June of 2007 and a REALITY SMACK IN THE FACE, thats really all I was looking for when I went and instead got a REAL SLAP IN THE FACE when the x-ray showed a slip, so I'm over my PITY PARTY now and really just coming to you guys for any opions on this.  The Doc has me on LIQUIDS for 3 weeks to see if this slip will SELF-FIX itself???  Thats my questions and concern, now that I'm done beeting myself up over this I've been doing a little research and NO WHERE have I seen a slip FIX ITSELF... Does anyone know if they have heard of this?  I am a self-pay person and another surgery would just be OUT OF THE QUESTIONS in these financial times.  I was banded in march of '07, lost over 100lbs and documented my whole journey and then lost track and now I'm petrified I'm in real trouble. Thanks for being my ears and if anyone has heard of this, please let me know! As always THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE AGAIN - Candi

Candi,
Do NOT be ashamed!!!  Be proactive and do your research (kudos for coming here and seeking help!).....get busy finding out your next best step.  Don't be afraid to get other medical opinions.  Post your concerns and questions on the lapband forum and on the revision forum of O.H.  Sometimes the surgery forums have zealouts that want to call people out for being noncompliant or making every slip and erosion the fault of the person rather than a mere medical issue.  Usually the revision forum will give you other aspects to consider.

Some are revising to a sleeve with a failed banding and some realize they'd be more successful with some malabsorption added to their tool chest of WLS helps!  .... Consider a consult with other surgeon's who do revisions:  Dr. Schlesinger does the most.....Dr. Blackstone and Dr. Juarez also do revisions.  Dr. Simpson revises to another lapband.

I can not imagine having to be put on liquids for that long of a time and assuming a slip will just self fix?  I'm sure it's possible though or Dr. Simpson wouldn't  be having you go that route.  He's pretty brilliant at what he does:)

I've followed your journey and you have done an amazing job.  I also understand the pressure of having been a poster gal though.  When folks put you on a pedestal then it's an easy slip to falling off.....those who are just sitting on the sidelines watching don't have as much at stake and don't have far to fall.

Hang in there.  Step off of your pedestal and focus on YOU.  If there is some learning to do then outline the lessons and tackle the application.  Self loathing and punishment is a negative force that just fosters more of the same bad crap.

Come to some support groups!!!!  Other perspectives are often lightbulb moments

Good luck friend!  Let us know how we can support you!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Candi Y.
on 9/21/09 1:54 am - Cottonwood, AZ
Joyce,
THANK YOU, I was so hoping to hear from you.  Want some pressure...you've always been my POSTER CHILD on this board and I thank you for that, but it sure does but added pressure on us.  I took that first hard step and that was just coming on and facing head on what has happened and now like you said it time to learn and move on from this.  I did get alot of responces from people that have had these minor slips and were put on liquids for a long period of time and it worked and have also heard from people who did this whole liquid thing and then needed the band re-positioned.  So what I'm going to do is take one day at a time and go see Doc Simpson on the 5th of Oct., see if theres been any improvements and take it from there... So I might need your help with some second opions, which I will FOR SURE do prior to doing any other surgeries.
Thank you again for your KIND words, and I am only focusing on the positive right now and worrying about CANDI and getting back on track!  THanks again and I'll stay in touch! Candi
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/09 3:55 am - AZ
On September 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM Pacific Time, Candi Y. wrote:

Hopefully this has been resolved by now but I wanted to add that 85% of the time when you slip, an unfill and liquids for several weeks will make the stomach go back into position.   So stats are on your side.

Slips happen, doesn't mean it was your fault.  It's a known complication of the band.

Most Active