Freaked out!!!!!!

Nancy S.
on 9/20/09 5:51 am - Mesa, AZ
Well, went to the bathroom this morning, sat down and ...whooosh! out comes my surgery drain, grenade and all it's parts all over the place. I thought I was giving birth and my water had broken!!!

Put a call into the Dr.'s office and they got Dr. Simon on the line for me ( he is covering this weekend for Dr. S.) and he calmed me down, I was ready to run to Emergency for stitches!
I see Dr. S. on Monday,
( thank G-d ) but now I am wearing a maxi pad on my drain hole
This can't be the first time this has happened to anyone, can it????
Did I mention end of week two in my new Life?

xo Nancy

ginau
on 9/20/09 9:55 am - mesa, AZ
Nancy

Just call it wishful thinking!  now your hand grenade is gone - Pad is easier to hide under clothes .   How is the swelling going? still using Ice packs ??

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

1lessJulie
on 9/21/09 8:26 am
You are not the only one, my drain started seaping really bad and Dr. S told me not to worry, that it was normal.  Just last week I lost the suture to it and have the drainage tube taped to my belly.  I will hit my 6 week mark tomorrow and really would like this thing out of me.  While mine didn't come completely out, the amount of drainage I had was enough to scare me and the hubby- that was about the two week mark.

Julie
dflprdfan
on 9/22/09 7:43 am
Nancy-

I am fairly new to the idea of having WLS...please explain this drain as I have not heard of that. Where was it placed after surgery? How long should it stay in? How do you take care of it while in place? What the heck do you mean by a grenade? Please enlighten me...this sounds scary and gross! LOL  Thanks, Lisa
beckipoohbear
on 9/22/09 8:54 am - AZ
If you go with Blackstone you will have a drain that is placed during surgery, after you have been knocked out.  Some people go home with them but with Blackstone's office they will remove it before you leave the hospital provided it is draining clear.  It's really no big deal, just a little bulb attached to tubing hanging outside of your body, although the bulb is kinda grenade shaped I guess.  They empty it once or twice a day or as needed while you are in the hospital and when they remove it, it doesn't hurt, just feels a little weird.  Kinda like the woosh feeling you get when your stomach drops going down a roller coaster hill.  Best way I can describe it.  It's really nothing to worry about.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Most Active