ERNY Question

dmwilson
on 9/14/09 8:13 am - tucson, AZ
1. How is the ERNY procedure preformed?  Lap or open?

2. What all is done in this procedure ?

Thanks
Diane
JRinAZ
on 9/14/09 9:27 am - Layton, UT
On September 14, 2009 at 3:13 PM Pacific Time, dmwilson wrote:
1. How is the ERNY procedure preformed?  Lap or open?

2. What all is done in this procedure ?

Thanks
Diane
Hiya Diane!

I may be totally wrong but I think the majority of surgeon's perform an ERny OPEN; especially as a Revision.  Since it's not the 1st surgery for most of us, the open is known to be safer for us.  the surgeon has a clear picture of everything, can clean up scar tissue, repair hernias and ulcers, fix bowel obstructions, etc.  It's faster for the surgeon as well, which means we are under general anesthesia for a shorter amount of time (always a good thing).  According to some surgeon's, if it is done laproscopically then the correct shortened channel can't be accomplished as effectively.

Most ERny's don't have anything done to their pouch but there are some surgeon's iin the U.S. who add restriction to the pouch or re-do the pouch at the same time.  That's kind of overkill (in my opinion) because the malabsorption packs such a huge punch to the losing that to add restriction would almost make a person starve to death!  That's why DS'ers have a bigger sleeve; so they can take in more food to counter balance the malabsorption.

I'm definitely NOT a medical person but that's my opinion as I understand it.  How about joining us on Thursday at the HM (aka Highy malabsorptive) support group where Dr. S will be available for Q & A this time?  There are many revisions who show up as well!!! I know you're far away but it may be worth it to drive up and mingle with those who have been there and done that.

6 pm at Tempe St Luke's in the Medical bldg just west of the hospital in room 208.  It's open to all!!!

Good luck and kudos to you for all of your research!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

dmwilson
on 9/14/09 12:27 pm - tucson, AZ
Thanks Joyce that was very helpful.

Diane
Most Active