Hi girls long time............no see. :o)

klyn13jwl
on 9/12/09 3:58 pm, edited 9/13/09 2:38 am - Lakeside, AZ
For those of you that don't know me, personally, my name is Kellyn.  In Oct. of 08 I weighed 260.  I underwent WLS.  The weight was dropping off!  By April, I found myself getting very sick.  Come to find out the steroid injections that I was getting in my lower back and right hip were effecting my hormones.  Food didn't appeal to me any longer.  I was barely able to move I was so sick.They've finally stopped the steroid shots..............I do OK in the morning, but I would literally crash at night.  Like 6 or 7 pm.  I'm due at the Mayo clinic to see a Surgeon.  Last week I had an upper GI done and the found that my pouch was too small.  I don't believe it.  I think it's the hormones that are making me ill and not wanting to eat food. 
When I started this quest ...........I weighed 260.  I weighed myself today...............I weigh 127.  I have lost more than half of me and it hasn't even been a year. 
My question for you:
Has anyone ever died from anorexia after having this surgery done (RNY)?
Thanks, I appreciate the input  

260/245/145/124 
  I think I'm ready to stop now!
klyn13jwl
on 9/13/09 9:13 am - Lakeside, AZ
I've changed my photo so that you can see how crappy I look...............because I feel even worse !  I cut my hair off..........I had heard that it would fall out.........mine never did.............live and learn.  I was so up on the vitamins, I guess that's why I didn't lose my hair........just my health...........and this is something that I can't wait to "grow" back.  If you've forgotten what I used to look like at 145, visit my photo section........this is not me!!!!  Oh! and this is not just some phase where tomorrow I'll wake up and I'll magically feel better and be happy being this thin-I'm sick!

260/245/145/124 
Michele T.
on 9/13/09 12:56 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Kellyn,

I'm so sorry for all that you're going through.  Can you not keep food down or is it just that you have no appetite?  I assume that you've had all your labs done?  What about protein drinks?

I don't understand how the steroids effected your hormones and the relationship of that to your not eating.  Hopefully the brilliant people on the board will be able to give you some good advice.

Michele
JRinAZ
on 9/13/09 3:30 pm - Layton, UT
On September 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM Pacific Time, klyn13jwl wrote:
For those of you that don't know me, personally, my name is Kellyn.  In Oct. of 08 I weighed 260.  I underwent WLS.  The weight was dropping off!  By April, I found myself getting very sick.  Come to find out the steroid injections that I was getting in my lower back and right hip were effecting my hormones.  Food didn't appeal to me any longer.  I was barely able to move I was so sick.They've finally stopped the steroid shots..............I do OK in the morning, but I would literally crash at night.  Like 6 or 7 pm.  I'm due at the Mayo clinic to see a Surgeon.  Last week I had an upper GI done and the found that my pouch was too small.  I don't believe it.  I think it's the hormones that are making me ill and not wanting to eat food. 
When I started this quest ...........I weighed 260.  I weighed myself today...............I weigh 127.  I have lost more than half of me and it hasn't even been a year. 
My question for you:
Has anyone ever died from anorexia after having this surgery done (RNY)?
Thanks, I appreciate the input  

Hey sweetie pie!

People die from surgery complications all the time but anorexia is a disease that is self inflicted and not medically induced usually.  .....  Are they saying that you have anorexia?  If your numbers are accurate on your ticker .....then you and I are the same BMI, which is still in the "normal" range though barely inside the low.   I have had some post-op complications but am doing farely well now....with lots of supplements and vites.  Hopefully the Mayo can find the hep you need.  You've sure been through a miserable year.

...wishing you healthier days ahead,

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

klyn13jwl
on 9/14/09 3:06 am - Lakeside, AZ
Hey Joyce!! 

I guess you're right......anorexia IS a disease.........and it's one that I don't have.  I just don't seem to be able to eat..........period.  My year became miserable around April........and it's just gone downhill from there.  My family tells me how sick I look.      I don't like to leave the house.  I go to the Mayo tomorrow to see a surgeon.....we'll see how it goes.  I'll keep you informed.  Thank you so much....again! 

260/245/145/124 
sunshine86
on 9/15/09 12:24 am
Oh man... I am so sorry you're going through all of this... how awful! Are you at least able to get protein shakes and stuff down? 

I hope your consult at Mayo goes well... I've heard great things about them. :)

Take care and keep your chin up... you'll get through this!!
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

klyn13jwl
on 9/17/09 6:35 am - Lakeside, AZ
yes........I am currently able to keep things down.......as I am typing, I'm eating Apple Jacks (Yes, Joyce, I know EMPTY CALORIES (but I neeeeed energy.....and if there's anything that I can eat ant keep it down or the smell doesn't makes me nauseous.......I'm all for it  <3  )  Protein shakes.......hmmmmmmmmmm.......another delima.  I can stomach them.  Sorry.  I'm hoping the problem is internal and there won't be grounds for a reversal.  Keep your fingers crossed.  :o)

260/245/145/124 
JRinAZ
on 9/18/09 1:01 am - Layton, UT
On September 17, 2009 at 1:35 PM Pacific Time, klyn13jwl wrote:
yes........I am currently able to keep things down.......as I am typing, I'm eating Apple Jacks (Yes, Joyce, I know EMPTY CALORIES (but I neeeeed energy.....and if there's anything that I can eat ant keep it down or the smell doesn't makes me nauseous.......I'm all for it  <3  )  Protein shakes.......hmmmmmmmmmm.......another delima.  I can stomach them.  Sorry.  I'm hoping the problem is internal and there won't be grounds for a reversal.  Keep your fingers crossed.  :o)

Klyn,
The thought of being fed intraveniously kicked my lethargic, saggy behind into compliance in a fast hurry.  I sipped protein...barfed...sipped it again....barfed again.....and finally some of it started sticking around and with some repetition and experimentation; I found some brands, recipes and flavors that I enjoy.

It's work!

The good news is that if you had some milk with those applejacks then you got a tad bit of protein there.  BUT...most of us are lactose intollerant and dump from milk so maybe a soy milk with your Jacks?

You CAN turn this around with diligence and a lot of stinking hard work!!!!  I sincerely hope you do not have to have your surgery reversed.  That threat has always loomed over me as well and keeps me going back to the tub of vitamins and grabbing my handfuls for the day!!!!

Hang in there!  Be aggressive and save yourself!!!!

....you're in my prayers and thoughts sweetie pie!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active