QUESTIONS... RE BYPASSED LENGTH

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/09 4:19 am - Phx, AZ

I have a question:  well, 2:

1) In a TYPICAL scenario...for an RNY, how much intestine, on average, is bypassed?

2) In a TYPICAL scenario...for an ERNY, how much intestine, on average is bypassed?

ok, 3:

3) So, what is the AVERAGE TOTAL intestinal bypass in cms and inches/feet???

Need to know!  I'm racking my brain because I am not good at math.

:)  Thanks!
Betty S.
on 9/17/09 12:00 pm - Mesa, AZ
okay, I might get this a little crooked, but I asked Dr S at my appointment last week, because I was confused....

1)  2 'standard' types of RNY...
      Proximal- where up to 150 cm is bypassed
      Distal        where anywhere between 150-350 cm is bypassed

2)  ERNY is measured by how much common channel is LEFT, not taken out.   so it depends on the patient and the situation.  There might not be much left, depending on the cir****tance.

average total?  I have NO clue.  I have 350 out.  I know some on the RNY forum have 100-150 out. 

hope this helps...I didn't get it either.  I got a bit of comeuppance over on the RNY site a couple months ago when someone asked the difference between distal and proximal, and I replied that I thought Distal was the most common.  Turns out, it's normal for MY surgeon, who wanted me to have maximum malabsorbtion-(why go through all of this just to have a little bit taken out)  but for many, the Proximal is 'normal'.

JRinAZ
on 9/18/09 12:53 am - Layton, UT
On September 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM Pacific Time, Betty S. wrote:
okay, I might get this a little crooked, but I asked Dr S at my appointment last week, because I was confused....

1)  2 'standard' types of RNY...
      Proximal- where up to 150 cm is bypassed
      Distal        where anywhere between 150-350 cm is bypassed

2)  ERNY is measured by how much common channel is LEFT, not taken out.   so it depends on the patient and the situation.  There might not be much left, depending on the cir****tance.

average total?  I have NO clue.  I have 350 out.  I know some on the RNY forum have 100-150 out. 

hope this helps...I didn't get it either.  I got a bit of comeuppance over on the RNY site a couple months ago when someone asked the difference between distal and proximal, and I replied that I thought Distal was the most common.  Turns out, it's normal for MY surgeon, who wanted me to have maximum malabsorbtion-(why go through all of this just to have a little bit taken out)  but for many, the Proximal is 'normal'.

The numbers make me crazy!!! 

I'm all about ....The top of the capital Y is a certain length for a proxy and then when you are revised to an ERny the V of the Y letter is moved down making the stem of the Y shorter....Your Capital Y now more resembles a V with an itty bitty "l" sticking below it!  The little tiny stem or "common channel" makes a short trip of most things to the exit door.  Unfortunately sugar, other white carbs and pretty much most carbs stay awhile and are absorbed big time.  So all hail to the Protein and healthy FATS!!!  Wooo Hooooo!!!!

Clear as mudd?  Yup!  For me too!!!!  LOL!

Sooooo, Miss Betty.....you doing o.k. sweetie pie?  I missed you at Saturday's support group and again at the HM group last night?    We shared a moment of silence as we mourned your absence!!!  Seriously!  You are missed! 

There better be a good explanation Missy....like a hot date, or a great sale at the mall!!!!

See you soon?!

Big Hugggzzzz!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active