Just getting started

dee492
on 8/19/09 6:28 am - Chandler, AZ
Hi, I am new to the group and am going to Dr Blackstone's seminar this weekend to get more information on WLS and if it's for me and which WLS would be in my best interest. I have always been terribly scared of this surgery and would like some feedback.. Thank you all in advance!
Betty S.
on 8/19/09 9:03 am - Mesa, AZ
the best advice, and the worst advice, too...is read as much as you can on the OH website.  Surgery is a personal decision between you and your surgeon.  You know the things you can and can't live with, and the surgeon is the expert on giving you advice on the correct procedure.
It depends on how much weight you want to lose, if you have any co-morbidities (diabetes, sleep apnea, etc)  any underlying condition making any of the surgical procedures not for you....the list goes on and on. 
The main 3 are  the Lap Band,  the Gastric Bypass (RNY) and the duodenal switch.  Each has strong points and weak points for different people and their bodies.
I had a band done in 2005, and it came out that same year because I couldn't tolerate it- and for much of the same reason, I couldn't have the switch, which honestly was what I wanted.  But for me, the RNY was what would work with my body, and I haven't been sorry.
Good luck, keep reading all you can, and try not to get scared by all the stories you can see here...remember that there are thousands of people just living life, no problems, so no reason to post a lot on OH. 
betty

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/09 3:43 am - AZ
On August 19, 2009 at 4:03 PM Pacific Time, Betty S. wrote:
the best advice, and the worst advice, too...is read as much as you can on the OH website.  Surgery is a personal decision between you and your surgeon.  You know the things you can and can't live with, and the surgeon is the expert on giving you advice on the correct procedure.
It depends on how much weight you want to lose, if you have any co-morbidities (diabetes, sleep apnea, etc)  any underlying condition making any of the surgical procedures not for you....the list goes on and on. 
The main 3 are  the Lap Band,  the Gastric Bypass (RNY) and the duodenal switch.  Each has strong points and weak points for different people and their bodies.
I had a band done in 2005, and it came out that same year because I couldn't tolerate it- and for much of the same reason, I couldn't have the switch, which honestly was what I wanted.  But for me, the RNY was what would work with my body, and I haven't been sorry.
Good luck, keep reading all you can, and try not to get scared by all the stories you can see here...remember that there are thousands of people just living life, no problems, so no reason to post a lot on OH. 
betty

There are four major surgery types, DS, bypass, sleeve, and band.

The sleeve is the fastest growing surgery today.

beckipoohbear
on 8/22/09 2:19 pm - AZ
 Just wanted to wish you luck on exploring your options, hopefully the seminar this weekend went well.  If you have any questions let me know, Dr. Sprunger in Blackstone's office did my surgery.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/24/09 1:25 am, edited 8/24/09 1:30 am
dee492
on 8/24/09 1:51 am - Chandler, AZ
thank you all for your notes and advice, the seminar was excellent and its soooo true, I cant wait to do it, and now my husband is interested in it for himself too. So now I need to be seen and worked up and then go from there! woo hoo!
JRinAZ
on 8/24/09 3:29 am - Layton, UT
On August 24, 2009 at 8:51 AM Pacific Time, dee492 wrote:
thank you all for your notes and advice, the seminar was excellent and its soooo true, I cant wait to do it, and now my husband is interested in it for himself too. So now I need to be seen and worked up and then go from there! woo hoo!
Hi there Dee (in Chandler?)

Did you know there's a Chandler support group right in your neighborhood?  ...  Would love to have you and your hubby join us tomorrow evening!!!

Chandler WLS Support Group
OPEN to EVERYONE! 
FREE!  & Peer Facilitated.

4th Tuesday of every month at 6 pm, Chandler Regional Hospital on Frye and Dobson.
Enter from the East Main Entrance by the E.R. and take the elevator's to the lower level.  Head towards the pharmacy and make a quick right to  conference rooms 1 and 2.

We are a fun, supportive and experienced group!

Tomorrow night's topic:  Friend or Foe?  "Weeding out our gardens.  Surrounding ourselves with positives!"  We always leave time for discussion, Q & A & visiting

Hugggzzz,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active