Banner Gateway??

Jeannie O.
on 7/28/09 1:49 pm - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 02/15/10 with
Hi...I'm considering changeing to their program and I'd like to hear comments from those who have had surgery at Banner Gateway or know of someone's experience there with the surgeons and staff.  I thought I was set on Lapband but RNY keeps creeping into my little head?  

Thanks in Advance
Jeannie
With Positive Thoughts, JeannieO.                                   
mamapeach
on 7/30/09 6:09 am
I haven't had surgery there but went to the presentation a few weeks ago. Loved the doctor who was there. He seemed very kind ,caring and knowledgeable. I saw on the news last week that they have one of the few robotics for bariatric surgery in the country.  I have a medicare program and have to go to a Center of Excellence but Banner would have been my first choice, good luck !
iisme
on 7/31/09 6:14 am, edited 7/31/09 6:16 am
jeannie,
I was originally going to use WLIA and your surgeon as well for lap band.
I didnt do it however because his choice of an assistant surgeon did not accept BC/BS. It seemed whatever one took the other one didnt. Just didnt feel right to me.
Not only that but there is a HUGE program fee with WLIA.
I'm sure they are very good at what they do and great people to work with.
I ended up in Flagstaff (yes, I know long, long drive) where they provide a huge staff to guide you and support you all the way.
The program fee there is $300.
Dr Berger is so good too, I love him.
Bottom line, I was so dead set on the lap band yet so happy Dr Berger had me take a serious look at RNY. He does both LapBand and RNY yet felt the RNY was best for my situation.
I'd give him a serious look if I were you.
Oh, I just read the post above mine....I want to add that Dr Berger uses the Divinci robot surgery for his lap patients too.

10 pounds loss pre-op
dafie
on 7/31/09 2:56 pm - Mesa, AZ
They do have a support group that meets once a week (different topics) it is open to everyone...I have gone and many there are preop you might go to check it out and ask them questions.

Jeannie O.
on 7/31/09 4:12 pm - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 02/15/10 with
Thanks for the info i will look up their support group time & dates.

Jeannie
Jeannie O.
on 7/31/09 4:01 pm - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 02/15/10 with
Thanks for the info Nora i hadn't thought about looking outside the valley, I unfortunately have paid a big part of that HUGE program fee already because I wanted to get the tests started and felt very comfortable with the surgeon, staff & program, but as I'm in doing my 6mo insurance waiting period I'm finding more and more things that my insurance won't cover by going with them.  Thank Again!

Jeannie
iisme
on 7/31/09 11:56 pm
Hi Jeannie,
A lot of people don't think about going outside the Valley. What I found was a small town feeling and a very experienced wonderful surgeon who used to work in the a big city  rat race atmosphere (Chicago) who wanted out of that.
I think I made about 5 drives up there pre-op for appointments etc. A lot of the tests were down in the Valley so that made it nice.
The drive sounds horrible but actually it gave me time to ponder many things I was going through and breathing time away from kids and the husband. I actually found it relaxing.
I go there on Monday for my follow up and lab results.
It's not for a lot of people (the drive) but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in for all to read about what a wonderful option we in the Valley have up in Flag.

10 pounds loss pre-op
nostood
on 7/31/09 6:54 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I checked out WLIA, Scottsdale Bariatric and Banner.  I took over six months to make my decision interviewed all the doctors and looked at the program and aftercare.  I decided on Banner and I have been very happy with my choice.  They have an excellent caring staff who takes care of you, wonderful support groups and very knowledgeable doctors.  They care about the success of their patients and aren't just a mill churning patients through to make money.  I can't say enough good things about everyone there and Dr. Schuster was wonderful.  Donna is great as is Deborah and Eileen *****ally is an insurance guru and makes your insurance needs go so smoothly and keeps you informed.

Good luck!
lorraines1
on 8/11/09 11:58 am
Hi Jeannie,
I just had RNY with Dr. Schuster at Banner Gateway about 5 weeks ago. He uses the robotics to do the surgery. I had No drain, no catheter, no outside sutures.
He is absolutely wonderful! The surgery went really well. I recovered very quickly and had no problems with Dr. S or his staff. His staff is wonderful. The hospital is clean and the rooms are nice.
I would definetly recommend them! If you have any specific questions please feel free to message me.

Lorraine :)
Highest Weight- 319
Day of Surgery- 298
Current Weight- 159
Goal Weight- 150            
Most Active