Sierra Vista

Amanda G.
on 7/2/09 12:27 am - Fairfax , VA
It looks like I'll be moving to Sierra Vista in a few months (yay!) and I was hoping to hear from other people who live in the area that have had RNY.  Are there any support groups?  Any doctor reccomendations to oversee my pot-op care?  I'm almost 2 months post op right now. 

Also, how do you like the area?  Any good subdivisions you would suggest?   I will be in the area mid-August to see the area and start house hunting.  Would love to meet and make some new friends!

This will be a HUGE change for my family.  We are coming from a very populated congested area outside of Washington DC.  My husband is Army Civilian and we have 4 kids.  3 of wich are now adults (well, my son will be 18 in a few days) and our 4th is 4.  I'm not sure if my 18 year old will be moving with us or if he will stay here because he loves his job (he is a chef) at an upscal hotel in DC.  My 4 year old will start school in the fall of 2010.   

Any information/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!
Cheers!
Amanda

kathkeb
on 7/3/09 12:38 pm
Amanda,

Welcoome to Southern Arizona!!

I don't know about Sierra Vista (hopefully someone here will have some info for you).

I live in Tucson and we have a number of support groups -- some during the week in the evenings, and some on Saturday mornings.
There are also 4 or 5 Bariatric Surgeons in Tucson.

Perhaps your original surgeon's office can make a recommendation for you -- and even call ahead to make sure another doctor will 'pick up' your aftercare.

Read over the prior posts, and you will see a listing of the state-wide Support Groups -- and that might help you locate the best choice for you.

Best of luck with the move!!!
Kath

marcie K.
on 7/6/09 2:43 pm - Sahuarita, AZ
I had a lap band and I don't live in Sierra Vista but heck I'll reply anyway lol:)  I dated a guy who lived there though and so do know a bit about it.   I suspect you will need to come to tucson for support groups and a dr.  I think Dr. Monash will take on other doc's patients.  I'm not sure about dr burpee and chiasson but I've heard they will not those are the three I know for RNy. 

Unless you are looking for a COMPLETE change of pace you might consider moving to Tucson and having your husband commute.  Sierra Vista is a smallish army town and there is not a whole lot to do there.  I didn't mind it but I like smaller places though I am from Ny originally.  As for housing if you are set on Sierra vista the housing area I liked the best was up behind the mall.  They were newer and more modern which I like. 

Good luck and welcome to az!
LynanneInAZ
on 7/25/09 3:06 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hello,
I live in Sierra Vista. I can give you any information you need. There is one support group in town but I haven't been to it because the time is inconvienent for me. The Tucson weight loss support group is more active and they are about an hour away from Sierra Vista. I just had my surgery on June 30 and they have been really great. There is a Yahoo group for the Tucson folks, search for TUSWLS.
They have many events including pot lucks, seminars and monthly meetings.

Hope that helps!

Lynanne
Most Active