is this true?

Brende347
on 6/23/09 10:16 am - Phoenix, AZ
 I had lost  196 lbs  since my surgery 18 months ago.
However, since April i have gained 7 lbs so i am a little freaked out.
I need to change something up cuz this is going the wrong way.
I was reading on this website  " the honeymoon period is over between 12-18 months and then you dont loose weight any more"   
  Is this true? is it normal to only loose weight for 12-18 months.  after surgery?
sunshine86
on 6/24/09 2:29 am
First off, congrats on the weight loss..... 196lbs is incredible!!!!!!

As far as regaining weight.... have you met your goal? If I remember correctly, last night at the Chandler meeting, Joyce said it's normal and very common for R&Y patients to regain a little bit of weight once they reach their goal.

Either way, good luck to you!!! :)
HW: 243lbs   SW: 222lbs  CW: 198lbs GW: 140lbs
                                              I'm just a hair under 5'1.
                                     12/1/2009- Third Fill, 7cc in a 11cc band
                                     11/3/2009- Finally under 200lbs!!! YAY!!

Brende347
on 6/25/09 7:18 am - Phoenix, AZ
I have not met my goal I still have 100 lbs to loose I started out way ahead of other people on the amount of weight I need to loose>

JRinAZ
on 6/25/09 10:49 am - Layton, UT
On June 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM Pacific Time, Brende347 wrote:
I have not met my goal I still have 100 lbs to loose I started out way ahead of other people on the amount of weight I need to loose>
Brende,
Here's the deal.  .....  While it's true statistically that most Rny's will have "some" bounceback; it is NOT written in stone!!!!  AND.....my take with hindsite and with zillion's of other's experience who are several years post-op, is that the first year to 18 months post-op is pretty much a gift!  It's the time we learn to eat smaller portions, learn to eat foods that our system can manage to digest and learn to work on our head issues.  After, that.......we have to step it up a notch and begin using the tool that the great docs have given us!!!

I was angry at around 5 to 7 months post-op when I could all of a sudden eat more!  .....  No one had told me that the body heals, relaxes and starts to fix the thing that it thinks is wrong (our weight loss surgery)!!!!  ......

Many many people do NOT regain and Many people go on to lose many more pounds past their 18 months honeymoon period.

Don't give up!  That's the worst thing you could do but instead, get yourself to as many support groups as possible and stay tight with your surgeon and nutritionist.  Get counseling if you need it. 

You have done so well with your weight loss sweetie pie!  A hoe is just a stick with a piece of metal at the end OR it is an incredible tool that, if used properly can aid in producing something beautiful!  Learn to use your tool!!!!

The grads group meets at 5:30 on the 1st Tuesday of every month.  Our issues are indeed different than those who are just learning how to hold down their 2 bites of refried beans!  Join us?

.....living the low carb lifestyle forever,

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ginau
on 6/24/09 12:22 pm - mesa, AZ
It's True !!

a lot of people have bounce back. you just need to buckle down a little and it should come back off. Most people  float up to 10 lbs back and forth.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active