Day 4 after LapBand and having issues

nabong
on 6/13/09 7:10 am - Glendale, AZ

My band was done Wednesday morning and I find I am still having issues. The biggest issue is what am I feeling? Is it from the gas used? Am I nauseous? Am I hungry? How often should I be eating? Is the constant low grade headache normal? I thought I had all of my questions answered. Apparently, I missed a few.

Does anyone have any advice?

Nanci

amberj97
on 6/13/09 9:06 am
No advice, because I am in the same boat. I am also 4 days out, and am experiencing the same thing. So at least you know you are not alone. Yesterday I felt pretty good, today is a different story. I woke up completely nauseous.. and thought maybe I needed some water. Unfortunately water suddenly tastes very metallic to me so that doesn't help the situation. I also have the constant headache, which I also am attributing to not enough fluids. It's hard work getting enough water throughout the day!! Not to mention the tightness is my chest, which feels like a giant gas bubble is just stuck there. I just tell myself it will get better and try and remember to walk a lot because that helps with the gas...  Good luck!
Amber

HW- 256
SW- 242
CW- 175
GW- 155
kathkeb
on 6/13/09 1:10 pm
are you getting enough fluid?  if the water tastes mettalic, have you tried a little Crystal Light in it?

I did not have the headache -- but I did take Liquid Extra Strength Tylelenol in the mornings and than again about an hour before bedtime.

Since I normally sleep on my stomach, and cannot do that now, my back gets achey while I sleep.

To be honest, I could not take the pain med I was prescribed because I was afraid to try to swallow it -- I could not take a big enough swallow of water in order to take the pill, so I have just relied on the Tylenol.

It is definitely like a full-time job just trying to get enough liquid and protein -- but I promise that it gets better.

I am now able to drink 3 or 4 16-oz bottles of water a day and can feel my strength coming back every day.

I hope you feel better tomorrow --
Kath

kathkeb
on 6/13/09 1:14 pm
I am only 9 days out -- and "eating" is like a full time job.

I start the day with some warm tea -- to calm things down.

I drink about 4 - 6 ounces over about 20 - 30 minutes.

Then, I eat about 4 ounces of Greek Yogurt (Trader Joe's) over about 30 minutes
Then, I wait 30 - 45 minutes and start to drink water again

I am hungry about every 3 hours --- so, I stop drinking for about 15 minutes, then 'eat' something (I have a protein shake to get enough protein -- 30 grams mid-day) -- then, wait 30 minutes before I start drinking again ---

I can definitely drink bigger sips and more quantity today than I could just 3 or 4 days ago -- so, it does get better!

Are you taking any pain meds for the headache?  I swear by liquid Extra Strength Tylenol.

Good Luck!!!!

Kath

nabong
on 6/13/09 1:20 pm - Glendale, AZ
Thanks ladies. I was really hoping it wasn't just me. The water has to be it for me. Each time I try the Crystal Light I get the dry heaves. Milk seems to be ok as well. I've been trying iced tea but, I can only get so much of that in. What is up with all of the burping? That seems never ending. I have two heating pads going, on low, one for the upper abdomen and one for the upper back/shoulders for the gas. It helps, until I get up. I am walking. The dog is happy she gets to follow me around. My husband feels pretty helpless.
Nanci

kathkeb
on 6/14/09 2:06 am
Nancy --

The burping can be a sign that you are taking sips that are too big ---- that gets better, I promise!

I also found that if I start the day with a little warm tea, it goes down easier than plain water -- and i don't have the burping.  I drink about 4 ounces of that.

Then, I can eat some yogurt.  the burping is also helping you to expel gas -- and that will diminish soon.

I got to start mushie food on day 8 -- and feel so much better being able to get some 'real' food in.  I still have to drink 1 - 2 protein shakes a day in order to get enough protein, but in between I am starting to feel normal again!!

It won't be long for you now -- hang in there!!!
Kath

Most Active