Sprunger or Blackstone thoughts?

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/09 12:10 pm, edited 5/27/09 8:08 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I have the option of going with Dr Sprunger on 6/29 or Dr. Blackstone on 8/18

Anyone have any opinions?

I'm going in for RNY if that helps any. Thanks!!!

FYI I only marked this urgent because I have to make a decision asap heh.
JRinAZ
on 5/27/09 7:16 am - Layton, UT
On May 27, 2009 at 1:13 PM Pacific Time, tpupaz wrote:
I have the option of going with Dr Sprunger on 6/29 or Dr. Blackstone on 8/18

Anyone have any opinions?

I'm going in for RNY if that helps any. Thanks!!!

FYI I only marked this urgent because I have to make a decision asap heh.
Well,
I haven't had either surgeon BUT......Dr. Blackstone has a fabulous reputation.  I have rarely heard negative remarks about her or her program and having met her myself a few times; she is a lovely, caring person!  .....  I do know that she only hires the very best and so "if" she has complete confidence in Dr. Sprunger then I would imagine that you should as well.  2 months of losing on a guy could make a huge difference in a timeline since many of them reach their goals even before 6 months post-op! 

What's your situation?  Is one time of year better than another cuz I don't think you'd make a mistake either way with either Dr. Sprunger or Dr. Blackstone!!!

Good luck!  Keep us posted!  .....  How about joining bunches of us at our upcoming WLS potluck on Sat, June 6th?  You could chatter with some of the Scottsdale Bariatric post-ops and get some pointers and support!!!

High Fives 2 U on an amazing journey ahead!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

beckipoohbear
on 5/27/09 7:43 am - AZ
I originally chose SBC for Dr. Blackstone.  She was 100% the reason that I chose that program.  I got my approval 1/2008 and got a surgery date of 5/19/08.  At that time Dr. Blackstone was the only surgeon in the program but we had heard she'd hired a new guy and he would be starting in several months.  About a month before my surgery date they call me to verify all of my preop appointments and state that I was scheduled with Dr. Sprunger.  Needless to say I freaked out, I had been planning on Dr. B all along, felt comfortable with my choice and now I was on the schedule of somebody who I knew nothing about and who I could find virtually nothing about on the net.  To top it all off they insisted they had told me I was being scheduled w/ Sprunger and I gave them permission which to this day I know i did not.  However, if I rescheduled and waited for Dr. B my surgery wouldn't have been until 8/08.  I decided to keep my date, meet w/ Sprunger and see how I was feeling after that appointment.  I needn't have been worried at all.  Dr. Sprunger was absolutely fantastic, he spent an hour with me and my sister, going over all of my questions, my concerns, and completely understood if I wanted to wait for Dr. B since he was the "new guy".

Dr. Sprunger did my surgery on 5/19/08 and the rest as they say is history.  I am sitting here about 3 1/2 pounds from goal, never had any complications, was completely satisfied w/ Dr. Sprunger as a surgeon and as a physician, great bedside manner.  It is really all about your comfort level, I wanted to get the new me underway and I am glad I didn't wait, it turned out to be the right choice for me.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/09 8:08 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Well from what it seems, I cant go wrong with either.

I've had two personal friends use Blackstone , and I think even if I have to wait till August, I'll have more time to get my affairs in order with work, family, etc.

So choice is made, going Blackstone.

Thanks so much for all the help guys!! :)
StephOinAZ
on 6/1/09 3:03 pm

Hi there :)
It looks like you've  made up your mind, but I just wanted to throw my comment in here.  I'm going w/Dr. Blackstone but only because she was available before Dr. Sprunger.  However, my very close friend had her RNY done by Dr. Sprunger and she looooovvvveeeedddd him, could not say enough good things about him.  And she's doing GREAT!  So, I personally went for date, not Dr.  I figure if Dr. Blackstone trusts her reputation to him, then he must be pretty dang good. 

GOOD LUCK!!

TaiyaD
on 6/6/09 3:44 am - Chandler, AZ
 Hi there,

Dr. Blackstone was my surgeon, and she is fabulous!!! I can also tell you that Dr. Sprunger is excellent as well. He provided me with follow-up care while I was in the hospital after my surgery. I would imagine that Dr. Blackstone would only choose the best to work with in her office. So either way, you should be in good hands. :) I wish you the best of luck.
Enjoying my new life!

Valerie P.
on 6/9/09 1:10 am
I'm so glad this question was asked!! I am having the sleeve done and chose Dr. Sprunger...mainly because I didn't want to wait until August. Well, after I made my selection, they told me I would be his second sleeve! Made me a tad nervous...but after reading all the good things about him, I'm feeling much better!! So, now off to get those pre-op tests done and the pre-op class tomorrow! I'll be sleeved July 1st!
JRinAZ
on 6/9/09 1:35 pm - Layton, UT
Hiya Paislee!

If this is just Dr. Sprunger's 2nd sleeve then my guess is that you'll get the best of both surgeon's or 2 for 1.  They are usually proctored (assisted and taught) for at least 10  surgeries, I believe.  So, I'l lbet Dr. Blackstone is in the O.R. as well?

July 1st is a great day to gain your "Independence" from obesity!  Wooooo Hooooo!  Seats are still available on the Loser's Bench!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active