Anyone in Gilbert?

sunshine86
on 5/11/09 7:04 am
Hey Everyone!!

My name is Heidi... and after nearly a year of fighting my insurance, I FINALLY got approved last week for the realize band.... WOOHOO!!!!!!!

My surgery is scheduled for June 8th..... I'm extremely nervous AND excited at the same time.

Has anyone else had their surgery performed at Banner Gateway? If so, would you care to share your experiences?

I've read a few books.... have attended the support groups, etc.... but I'm still worried that I don't fully understand what I should be expecting. I'd love to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. :)

Thanks!!!

Heidi
nostood
on 5/11/09 5:50 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Hi - I am in Gilbert and I went through Banner Gateway and Dr. Schuster was my surgeon.  I have nothing but wonderful things to say about their program.  If you have specific questions go ahead and PM me.

Good luck! 
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/09 5:56 am - AZ
On May 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM Pacific Time, wrote:
Hey Everyone!!

My name is Heidi... and after nearly a year of fighting my insurance, I FINALLY got approved last week for the realize band.... WOOHOO!!!!!!!

My surgery is scheduled for June 8th..... I'm extremely nervous AND excited at the same time.

Has anyone else had their surgery performed at Banner Gateway? If so, would you care to share your experiences?

I've read a few books.... have attended the support groups, etc.... but I'm still worried that I don't fully understand what I should be expecting. I'd love to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. :)

Thanks!!!

Heidi

Are you asking about the procedure type or the hospital?

sunshine86
on 5/12/09 7:40 am
I'd love to hear about both! Either or! :)
(deactivated member)
on 5/12/09 8:24 am - AZ
On May 12, 2009 at 2:40 PM Pacific Time, wrote:
I'd love to hear about both! Either or! :)

I honestly don't know anything about your surgeon, not a clue.

The band... please be careful with this one.  Just for the heck of it go to the sleeve board, bypass board, DS board, and revision board and ask about the band.   Talk to those who needed revisions.

Some stats...

1 in 4 people fail with the band.

30-50% of people need a 2nd surgery within five years to correct something such as a port flip, slip, erosion, mechanical failure, etc.

Weight loss is slowest and lowest with the band than any other procedure.  On average, according to Inamed, people lose about 55% of their excess weight at the end of five years.

It is the doctors claiming the band will last a lifetime.  Inamed doesn't say that, the FDA doesn't say that, they figure about 10 years.

Just really make sure you talk to a LOT of people that failed with the band and make sure you are okay with the complications bands have.

Erica H.
on 5/13/09 6:06 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi Heidi!  I'm not in Gilbert, but I'm in Mesa, Higley/Broadway area!  I am getting the sleeve done in two weeks!! I am WAY excited and nervous!  PM me if you'd like to chat!  I went to the nutrition support at Gateway and am planning to keep attending their groups, even though I'm not having my surgery there.

Erica H. 
http://dramaqueensguide.blogspot.com

"We go through what we go through to help others get through what they go through."
sunshine86
on 5/13/09 6:56 am
Oh, you're not too far away from me at all... I'm down near Gilbert/Elliot. :)

Woohoo.... two weeks! How exciting! Where are you having your surgery done?

I've been to a few of the support groups at Banner Gateway.... but I always get caught up at work and can never get there in time. Hopefully things will slow down now that we're entering the "slow" season... so that I can start attending!

Maybe I'll see you there :)
Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 5/18/09 1:40 pm - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22

Hi Heidi,

I live in Mesa . I'm planning on the band also and have to go though the 6 month diet  started it in April.  I'm having surgery with Dr Debarros in Tempe.

Wendy 

Most Active