Chest pains?!*

klyn13jwl
on 4/9/09 11:42 am - Lakeside, AZ
I seem to be having a bit of a problem with chest pains.  It's put me in the hospital for a couple of nights.  I'm beginning to think that it's my body telling me to eat.  I've almost lost 100 pounds in 6 months.    Could this be a problem for my heart?  My kidney function is doing great......but I have a small amount of fluid around my heart.  Anybody.........???    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kellyn  :o)

260/245/145/124 
  I think I'm ready to stop now!
Chris S.
on 4/9/09 12:27 pm - Tempe, AZ
I have no advise for you but I hope you are feeling better soon.

Love your new picture! 
JRinAZ
on 4/9/09 12:36 pm - Layton, UT
Kellyn?
What does your doc say sweetie pie?  Chest pain is NEVER a good thing but is it heart or is it and ulcer or is it a gall bladder problem (very common as a post WLS)?  Fluid around the heart?  Allergies?  Pneumonia? 

I did 100 pounds in 6 months too and didn't have heart issues soooooo........????  Not sure the weight loss has to do with this problem?  (Congrats on the loss!!!!)  Eating is definitely a MUST!  Upping your calories?  Well, if you're where you want to be then start increasing calories ever 2 to 4 days until you start maintaining where you're at.  I find it necessary to weigh myself EVERY morning at goal so I can adjust my daily eating according to my weight.

"IF" you doc says to eat more then DO IT!!!!  Call Jenel!  She's got diet plans for every ailment!

Come and join us on the 18th (next Saturday) if you're out of the hospital and feeling better.  There will be 2 Bariatric surgeons, a NUT, a Platic Surgeon and a Psych there (plus a few others).  You should get plenty of one on one time to get all of your Q & A answered.

Take care of YOU!

Joyce
klyn13jwl
on 4/9/09 4:39 pm - Lakeside, AZ
Thank you, Chris.......when the weight went, so did the hair!    Joyce............I had my galbladder taken out 3 weeks ago, along with a few softball-size cysts drained that were on my kidneys (I have polycystic kidney & liver disease) and an internal hernia fixed.  The surgeon that did the surgery praised the surgeon that performed the gastric on me, he said it was beautifully done.  So, I'm not thinking that it has anything to do with the surgery.  Today is the first day that I haven't had chest pains....why you ask.....it may have something to do with the fact that I'm taking the acid reducer that was prescribed to me when I had the galbladder surgery.  I just forgot all about it.  I'M REMEMBERING IT NOW!  Thanks for that tid-bit on how you lost 100lbs in 6 months.  My parents and siblings says it's happening too fast.  The thing is.........I'm not trying anymore.......I just can't seem to eat.  It kinda scares me.  I made tacos and rice for dinner.....one of my favorite kind of foods........and I probably ate 2 bites of rice and half (if that) of my taco.  That was all I ate for the day.  If I'm not hungry, I can't eat.  It's just kinda scary............another 10 lbs and I would like to get off the losers bench.............I don't want to gain, but I think I'll be too skinny if I keep going the way I am.  What did you do?

Thanks,

Kellyn  :o) 

260/245/145/124 
  I think I'm ready to stop now!
JRinAZ
on 4/10/09 1:02 am - Layton, UT
On April 9, 2009 at 11:39 PM Pacific Time, klyn13jwl wrote:
Thank you, Chris.......when the weight went, so did the hair!    Joyce............I had my galbladder taken out 3 weeks ago, along with a few softball-size cysts drained that were on my kidneys (I have polycystic kidney & liver disease) and an internal hernia fixed.  The surgeon that did the surgery praised the surgeon that performed the gastric on me, he said it was beautifully done.  So, I'm not thinking that it has anything to do with the surgery.  Today is the first day that I haven't had chest pains....why you ask.....it may have something to do with the fact that I'm taking the acid reducer that was prescribed to me when I had the galbladder surgery.  I just forgot all about it.  I'M REMEMBERING IT NOW!  Thanks for that tid-bit on how you lost 100lbs in 6 months.  My parents and siblings says it's happening too fast.  The thing is.........I'm not trying anymore.......I just can't seem to eat.  It kinda scares me.  I made tacos and rice for dinner.....one of my favorite kind of foods........and I probably ate 2 bites of rice and half (if that) of my taco.  That was all I ate for the day.  If I'm not hungry, I can't eat.  It's just kinda scary............another 10 lbs and I would like to get off the losers bench.............I don't want to gain, but I think I'll be too skinny if I keep going the way I am.  What did you do?

Thanks,

Kellyn  :o) 
Kellyn,
I'm puting on my very unofficial Doctor Joyce hat!  LOL!  I'm hearing that you aren't eating regularly or much and that your prilosec (or similar) calms the chest pain?  Sooooo......having a VERY similar pattern myself, I will suggest that you MAY have some slight acid reflux and/or an internal pouch ulcer (common and hard to detect by any tests). 

Try setting an alarm for every 2 hours of your day to remind you to nibble something.  Select "non greasy/ high fat" foods and always pair a healthy carb with a healthy protein.  For example:  string cheese with half of banana, or cottage cheese with peach slices,  hard boiled egg and unsweetened applesauce, yogurt/ strawberries, etc.  You don't have to eat much to help coat your pouch and you certainly don't want to take in too many calories BUT.....I think you'll find that consistent nutrition will help with the pain, help with the appetite and help with the energy.  It will  definitely help your body find a healthy and stable weight for you.

I find that when the pain sneaks up on me (sometimes after eating a handful of peanuts or something oily), I have to guzzle some Maalox or Carafate along with the Prilosec.  If it wakes you up with pain in the middle of the night then Maalox will be your new best friend.

Are you taking all of your supplements?
1.  Sublingual B12 (I think the best price & product is at Trader Joe's .....little red and green box)
2.  High quality multi  vitamin (I use Centrum adult chewable)
3.  iron (I order the Tender Iron from www.vitalady.com)
4.  vitamin C (I take with my iron to help with absorption)
5.  calcium (MUST be calcium citrate and NOT calcium carbonate)....Kirkland brand at Costco or one of the yummy chews that people are raving about:  Bariatric Advantage or Building Blocks...both found on-line

IF you are very malabsorptive then you should add ADEK to your list.

Rules:  NEVER take calcium and iron at the same time.  I take my iron late at night so it doesn't get mixed into other stuff and I take my calcium throughout the middle of the day.

I'm running to the airport so will check in with you next week.  Take care sweetie and have a Happy Easter!

Joyce
P.S.  Y'know I"m not a doc so the above chatter is just an "idea" that has worked for me based on my diagnosis.  You should ALWAYS get things checked by your own doc!
Most Active