WhaZup Arizona?

JRinAZ
on 4/9/09 6:29 am - Layton, UT
Dust those stinking cobwebs off and get out of the closet!!!  WE need you to post!!!  Let's revive this support site and get some life going on again! 

Be a good sport, K?  Cut and paste your answers with your response!!!  Let's have some fun!

1.  Happy with your weight loss?

2.  On target with your goal?

3.  What are your EASTER plans?

4.  Do you have a special dish/recipe planned that is on your healthy program?  Plz share it with us!

5.  What's your main struggle right now? 

6.  Which support group do you attend? 

7.  Any social changes in your life since your WLS?

8.  Any new "attaboys" on your list?

9.  What's your very favorite protein drink and where can we buy it?

10.  Do you practice "mindful" eating?  (Plan it, measure it, enjoy it?)

Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy!  I can't wait to come back and see the zillions of responses!!!

Joyce
JRinAZ
on 4/9/09 6:53 am - Layton, UT
1.  Happy with your weight loss?  Yup!  I'm at goal but learning to maintain is a FIRST for me! I find I need to weigh every day to keep it real and make the necessary adjustments to my food plan for the day.

2.  On target with your goal?  At goal but freak out when I go up a pound or two so I need to just focus on healthy food choices ALL the timke!

3.  What are your EASTER plans?  UTAH and a cold crab Easter picnic!  Yummy!

4.  Do you have a special dish/recipe planned that is on your healthy program?  Plz share it with us! 

Mashed Cauliflower (I eat low-carb and gluten free)
1 head cauliflower  boiled til soft with fork piercing
add 1 cube (8 oz) of lowfat cream cheese
addd 1 Tbsp or so of butter
add chives and garlic salt/ pepper or season as desired...can add finely shredded cheddar cheese too.
Beat with mixer

I freeze in small containers and then grab one out for a quick mini meal or side dish to my grilled fish!

We'll have Deviled Eggs too to keep the protein levels high!

Finding the foods that keep me healthy and still satisfy my cravings and tastebuds!

6.  Which support group do you attend?  ALL of them except for Dr. Simpson's, Dr. Blackstone's and Dr. DeBarros and Orris.  I think they are all closed to their own patient's?

7.  Any social changes in your life since your WLS?  Zillions of new best friends around the country that share my WLS journey!

8.  Any new "attaboys" on your list?  Gluten Free for TWO weeks!  Yahoo!!!!  .....  Trimmed out Fast food in my life!

9.  What's your very favorite protein drink and where can we buy it?  Banana Champion Pure Whey Stack whipped up with a couple of frozen strawberries, a little Soni**** and a shot of Torani sugar free peach!  Yum! I google "best price for Champion Pure Whey Stack" and then order on-line.  I order from Vitalady.com most of the time.

10.  Do you practice "mindful" eating?  (Plan it, measure it, enjoy it?)  I am working on that right now.  I'm trying to make a food plan and then journal it at at the end of the day on www.fitday.com
  I am surprised to be under calories on days that I felt like I had eaten a lot and then equally surprised to see how many calories there are when SAUCES are involved!  Yike!  Talk about hidden calories!

Joyce
Proximal Rny 2/11/03 Zahn
Revision to Extended Rny 12/26/07 Schlesinger
At Goal

See y'all on April 18th!!!!  (WLS Educational Seminar!)

beckipoohbear
on 4/9/09 7:13 am - AZ
Post Date: 4/9/09 1:29 pm
I'll bite.  I agree this board has been rather dead lately.

I am extremely happy with my weight loss.  I am just shy of 11 months out and I have lost 114.6 since surgery and 131.4 overall.

I am just about on target with my goal.  I would like to be at goal at my one year appointment on May 29th (which is actually a couple of weeks after my surgiversary but whatevs) and I am just about 7 pounds from goal.

3.  What are your EASTER plans?
          Alas, nothing exciting.  I will be in Phoenix and probably go to my sister's church for services but then they have late afternoon dinner plans and I will have to hit the road back to Safford.  She will come sit with me at lunch and also feed my nephew though so I am trying to figure out what I want to eat.

No special dish for Easter but one of my current favorite side dishes to make for lunch/dinner is a tomato and goat cheese salad ripped off from the Nine Fine Irishmen restaurant at the New York, New York in Vegas.  It's super easy.  You just take some white English cheddar and blue cheese and shave off some small pieces of each and scatter those on the plate.  Then take a tomato and cut it into slices  (they used heirloom at the restaurant but I can't get those here and the Roma are a nice size for me).  Place the slices on top of the cheese shavings.  Then take goat cheese and make as many slices as you have tomato slices.  Place goat cheese on top of tomatoes.  Then drizzle the whole thing with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  Yummy and easy to make and good protein!!

Exercise is my main struggle right now.  I still really don't like it but I do enjoy water aerobics and lap swimming 3 or 4 days a week.  I am attempting to incorporate some running and walking but the old muscles and knees don't love it.

Unfortunately there are no support groups in my area but luckily for me my surgeon's office does an online support group once a month for their patients so I do faithfully attend that.  I only wi**** was more frequent.

No social changes, I have always been very comfortable in my own skin regardless of my weight so I haven't noticed a difference there.

Buying size 4 pants, small shirts from New York & Company, Ann Taylor and Limited and getting XS pjs from Victoria's Secret!

We don't use protein drinks in our surgeon's program after the first month so I don't have a favorite.  I do mix soy protein into my morning yogurt to up the protein content there and I use whichever brand I can find the cheapest.

This is probably my biggest failing.  Mindful eating in our program is to set aside time for the meal and sit down and eat with no distractions like TV or books, etc.  I eat every meal either at work or while watching TV but it doesn't seem to have hurt me yet.  I don't measure b/c our program doesn't recommend it.  I really feel like I am getting all of my nutritional requirements in, focusing on protein, eating yummy fruits and veggies.  I try to do good carbs but those bad carbs can sneak in a bit.

Great idea Joyce, it's been good to ponder these questions!!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

JRinAZ
on 4/9/09 12:39 pm - Layton, UT
"8.  Any new "attaboys" on your list?

Buying size 4 pants, small shirts from New York & Company, Ann Taylor and Limited and getting XS pjs from Victoria's Secret!" 

Wow Rebecca!  You are rockin! 

Joyce

sector-9
on 4/9/09 8:52 am, edited 4/9/09 8:55 am

1 ) happy with my weight loss .... yes
2) target goal : yes within the month i should hit it.
3)plans: skateboarding with my crew from oldman army.com
4)  portabello mushroom as the crust  for pizza its carb free
5)struggle :identifying behaviors that may cause grazing.
6) 12 step A.A and wls support groups.
7) none noted
8) attaboy ????? becky lapband
9)drink-soymilk
10)now i do after the injury as i almost blew it.

Chris S.
on 4/9/09 11:35 am - Tempe, AZ
I will be brutily honest....YIKES!

1.  Happy with your weight loss? - NO.  I am in a never ending stall and I am so frustrated and upset I can barely see straight and feel like just saying screw it all.

2.  On target with your goal? - Can I answer this when I actually start loosing weight again?

3.  What are your EASTER plans? - My Daughter and I are going to hang with my Mom.  My brothers family went to Mexico so it is just us.

4.  Do you have a special dish/recipe planned that is on your healthy program?  Plz share it with us! - I am still trying to learn what I can eatI don't have anything to share but will be very excited to see what others will share to add to my library.

5.  What's your main struggle right now?  Main struggle is emotional well being and trying to convince myself I have not failed this too.

6.  Which support group do you attend?  West Side group at Banner Estrella and Sun City group and any seminars or fun I can get in as well.  I did go to one Bridges group but felt a little uncomfortable and I think that was just the huge size of the group.  I am open to trying it again through.

7.  Any social changes in your life since your WLS? Unfortunately no

8.  Any new "attaboys" on your list? Was able to get my feet into a pair of sandals I bought years ago so I know I have lost some water.

9.  What's your very favorite protein drink and where can we buy it? I don't have a "favorite" yet I am still experimenting.  I did just buy some NECTARS which is whey protein suppose to mix up similar to a lemonade (not creamy) so I will try that tonight and can report back

10.  Do you practice "mindful" eating?  (Plan it, measure it, enjoy it?) I am still struggling with my eyes being bigger than my pouch and getting rid of old portion size eating habits.

Chris

JRinAZ
on 4/9/09 12:29 pm - Layton, UT
Chris!
I'm going to give you some "tough love" advice!!!   UP your calories!!!!  Seriously!

Plateau Busters:  INCREASE exercise, water, calories, protein, sleep and happy thoughts!
DECREASE:  Calories (yup, it's in 2 places cuz 1 size does not fit all), carbs, salt, cheese, cottage cheese, and negative thoughts!

Try some calorie/carb cycling.  Go lean on 5 of the 7 days of the week and then raqndomly throw in a high calorie day to throw your body off and to get it out of starvation so it releases the weight....like Mon, Tues = 800-1000 calories and then Weds = 1200-1500 calories...go back to 800-1000 for Thurs, Fri, Sat then repeat the Weds.  Body Builders have  used a version of this method for over 30 years.

Hey....I know you were looking for some Easter recipes.  Go to BariatricEating.com and check out their menu for Easter.  I'm going to make their Leg of Lamb menu with this most delicious sounding lemon fluff stuff!  Siince I'm gluten free, I'll just make a couple of adjustments.

Hugggzz to you sweetie pie!  I'll be saving you a seat on the 18th!

Joyce
Chris S.
on 4/10/09 3:05 am - Tempe, AZ
Thank you Joyce....I need "tough love"

I will try and figure out how to up calories.  I am only doing about 600ish right now with being in the mushy soft food stage I am struggling with finding stuff to eat.  I know I have been on a cheese kick and using that to up proteins as well.

I need to have a sit down with my brain this weekend and figure this out

see you on the 18th!
Dawn T.
on 4/10/09 10:33 am - Phoenix, AZ

Great idea, Joyce!  Here you go....

So far, so good - yes
I always wish I would lose faster, but 90 lbs in almost 9 months is nothing to sneeze at! I've actually lost a total of 265lbs (from my prior weight loss surgery).
What are your EASTER plans?
Going to spend Easter with my folks and sister's family in Prescott.
Yes - here you go:

Green Dream Salad (Lo carb/high protein version)

1 sm. pkg sugar free pistaccio pudding mix
1 C. crushed pineapple (drained)
1/2 C. water
1 C. small curd Cottage Cheese 
1/2 C. Heavy cream
Chopped pecans (optional)

Mix pudding mix, crushed pineapple and water.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yum!!

Carbs - when I journal, it helps, but have been so busy with school and work that journaling has fallen by the way side
Dr. Schelinger's group (@ Cares)
Yes - more energy + cuter/smaller clothes = greater self confidence
Have been exercising regularly for the first time in my life
Champion Banana Scream
Most of the time - I do slip up though on occasion, but try not to beat myself up over it. As long as I don't feel deprived and feel healthy, that is what matters.

keyboards 001
JRinAZ
on 4/13/09 12:33 pm - Layton, UT
YumMEEEEE!  I have made the s/f pistaccio puding salad a zilion time and always just stir with Cool Whip Light........never considered stirring in cottage cheese but I"m sure it's yummy!  I have stirred s/f orange jello into a large cottage cheese, added Cool Whip Light and maybe some mandarin oranges, pineapple, etc.  Soooooo good!

Thanks for sharing recipes.  I LOVE new ideas for a longgggggg lifetime of low  carb eating!

Joyce
Most Active