Lap Band == Tucsom

kathkeb
on 4/9/09 11:18 am
I am a new member to this group and am investigating Lap Band surgery.

I live in Tucson and want to have the surgery (and follow up) performed locally.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has experience with this surgery in my area.

I have a consult next week with Dr. Monash.

I will have to be a self-pay client as my insurance clearly does not cover bariatric procedures.

kath
JRinAZ
on 4/9/09 12:21 pm - Layton, UT
Welcome to the forum Kath!

I'm not familiar with that surgeon so can't help you out there.  However, if you're after some information and lots of kindred spirits then come on up for a WLS Educational Seminar on April 18th (next Saturday). 

There's a few driving up for Tuscon; including one of our presenter's:  Dr. Sarah Lee (cuz nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee tra la la!  LOL!)  J/K!  She's frabulous!

If you're self-pay then you can definitely shop around for the best lapband surgeon.  Have you checked out Dr. Terry Simpson of here?  He's got the longest/biggest lapband practice in all AZ!

Good luck with your journey and let us know how we can support you, K?

Joyce
Deanne K.
on 4/9/09 3:31 pm - Tucson, AZ
Kath,
I am not a lap band patient, but I do attend Dr. Schwartz's and Dr. Monash's support group.  Dr. Monash has a great reputation and Dr. Sarah Lee is at Northwest Oro Valley, I met her, very personable and knowledgeable.  As always, Dr. Chiasson and Dr. Burpee do mostly sleeves, but I think they also do lap bands too.  They have a new Dr. Cattrell at UPH Hospital, but he is new and I haven't heard anything about his program yet.

I think you will like Dr. Monash, but do check out all of your options.
Deanne
kathkeb
on 4/10/09 5:47 am
Thank you, ladies.
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend on 4/18 as I will be travelling to Dallas for business.

I have been invited to a LapBand support group meeting here in Tucson, tomorrow and am looking forward to meeting some local 'bandsters'.

I appreciate your comments! 

kath
marcie K.
on 4/19/09 6:32 am - Sahuarita, AZ
Hi Kath,

Were you at the Tucson Bandster's meeting last week?  I had a lapband with Dr. Schwartz on March 24th.  I'm not sure I would recommend him though.  I have no complaints as a surgeon he is top notch and I trust him with that, but the office staff is incompetant.  With moving to TMC however there are some changes and that is improving the staff, but (if you were at the meeting with Scott) you heard that TMC is all about 15 seconds per patient. 

Also after Scott's talk if I were not too late I'd probably go to Dr Burpee or Dr Chiasson both at Northwest medical as they are doing the realize band and not the allergan.  I had gone to thier seminars as well, but was approved and actually my surgery date was scheduled with Dr. Schwartz before I could even get a consult with either of them.  I've heard good things about Dr. Sarah Lee as well and have a friend going to her, but she's only performed 5 lap bands so far and well....I like experience.   Can't say I've heard much of anything about Dr. Monash, he used to be in the same office as Dr. Schwartz and though he seemed like a decent guy he was talking about things he shouldn't have in front of a patient (me) to his office staff.  I didn't find that very professional. 

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions I can help with!
Marcie
Most Active