On My Way!

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/09 3:23 am - Scottsdale, AZ
I had my first appointment finally after a little rough start with the office! I went in for my initial appointment for Scottsdale Bariatric Center and had all my evals and tests done. I met thier wonderful Nurse Practioner and loved that she was awesome and didnt BS. I told her while I was initially looking at just the band, I had decided I really wasnt sure after attending thier seminar. So I am at  5'7 (I used to be 5'9 apparently I shrunk LOL) and weighing at 294. My personal goal is 200, whatever comes after that is a major bonus. So the nurse went on to explain and talk to me so I could choose. She said she honestly didnt think I needed the bypass so I could go with either the LAP band or the Sleeve, SOOO I chose the Sleeve! I know my insurance has just recently started accepting it. I figured If they dont or if the out of pocket cost is too much I can easily switch to the LAP Band. My husband is also having surgery and he will have the Bypass!

Sooo I am off to 6 weeks of behaviour modification, (I really think the psychologist didnt beleive me when I said I dont emotionally eat, after he asked about my family LOL). I also have to get a Doc's ok and they recommended a doctor Kim Lucas (sp?) since I havent seen a doctor out here yet. Then once I have all of that done I can have them submit everything to my insurance. My goal is to have the surgery done hopefully before August since thats when my children go back to school, My husband will have his surgery first regardless so I can use him for a somewhat guinea pig :P.  My mother in law also offered to come when I have the surgery to help with the kids (they are 12 and 7 and while they could generally fend for themselves if they had to while I recover, I feel better having someone be here to help in case of any emergencies).

SOo now I am off to walk down the road on my way to surgery! I really loved the doctors office as they were all very nice and helpful when I was there. I just wish there was a way to know for sure that my insurance will cover it. I am on Blue Cross Blue Shield but its the California "version" so apparently from what I have heard its different from Arizona's version of BCBS. I do know I at elast dont have to come up with the last 5 years of my height and weight from a doctor like I was originally told. This is a huge step for me regardless since I have considered but avoided surgery for a few years just because of my own fears (ok I hate hospitals haha).

Most Active