Sleeve input wanted!

CmS200381
on 3/2/09 4:11 am - Kirkland, AZ
I have been through a journey pursuing this weight loss surgery.  I recently saw a third physician because Dr. Villares is gone.  I was very interested in the sleeve procedure and Dr. Villares was on board with that but when I met with this new physician he wants to do gastric bypass.  I have found through my journey that most physicians have a surgery which is particular to them.  Does anyone have input regarding the sleeve vs. gastric bypass?

Thanks, Christina
JRinAZ
on 3/2/09 8:07 am - Layton, UT
Christina,
I think Dr. Chiassom and Dr. Pookamini do the sleeve..  I've also heard that Dr. Juarez is going to be doing them if he hasn't already started. (I'll check tomorrow at support mtg)   If you want the sleeve then you should have the sleeve!  We have some sleeves in our Chandler support group that are doing very very well!

Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/09 10:21 am - AZ
On March 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM Pacific Time, CmS200381 wrote:
I have been through a journey pursuing this weight loss surgery.  I recently saw a third physician because Dr. Villares is gone.  I was very interested in the sleeve procedure and Dr. Villares was on board with that but when I met with this new physician he wants to do gastric bypass.  I have found through my journey that most physicians have a surgery which is particular to them.  Does anyone have input regarding the sleeve vs. gastric bypass?

Thanks, Christina

I don't know why doctors push one surgery type over another.  It is your body, your choice, you have to live with it, you need to decide.

Think about your eating habits.  Are you a person that just needs restriction?  Can you go for a month eating unlimited calories of GOOD foods only?  Can you give up all Chocolate, soda, bread, anything with flour or sugar?  If you can then probably restriction is good enough because you have some amount of control over food choices.

But... if you could not possibly go for a full month without eating garbage foods then perhaps DS or RNY is a better option for you.

Bottom line here, YOU have to live with the surgery, not your doctor.  You have to do what is right for you.  Know ALL the surgery types inside and out, understand why you are choosing one surgery over another.  Research your doctor to pieces.  Don't pick one due to location or convenience, go to the one that is right for you.  Someone with an excellent track record.

Rachel B.
on 3/2/09 10:48 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with
All i can say is that i didnt want the malabsorption of the bypass.  When i learned of the sleeve, i knew it was the one.  i went to mexico and had Dr Alvarez in Piedras Negras (across from Eagle Pass, TX) and had a fabulous experience.  Ive been a nurse for nearly 10 years and have never worked in a hospital as clean as the one where I had my surgery.  Dr Alvarez was incredible.  And the best part...  my surgery was August 11th and i weighed 269.8, today i weighed 166.  Im down to a size 10 and am happier and healthier than Ive been in my entire life!

Get what you want!  Life is too short to compromise!!!

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Deanne K.
on 3/3/09 12:22 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Christina,
By all means fight for the surgery you want.  I think Dr. Blackstone is now doing the sleeve as well, but she just started this in like Novemeber or so.
kkortsen
on 3/3/09 5:48 am - AZ

Christina,
Dr. V did my sleeve 2 years ago.  I have had zero problems.  It took about 15 months to get my weight off.  I am so very thankful for Dr V and the sleeve.  For me, it was the correct surgery.  No by passing,no mal absorption issues, no dumping, one multivitamin, no supplements, etc,etc....bottom line you will have a full functioning stomach.  Just smaller.  I eat a healthy diet, and when I want something outside that normal arena.  I have it, just in small quantities.  Isn't that what it is all about, portion control?  I understand that some insurance companies are paying for the VSG now.  Excellent.  Good luck with your decision.  Please don't settle on a different procedure, just because the surgeon is inexperienced with that particular sugery.  Keep looking around you will find the right answer and surgeon.

Kent

373 Highest weight
357 Surgery weight
189 Current weight

Most Active