Phoenix Heart Walk - DONE!!!

Ann M.
on 2/28/09 9:41 am - Peoria, AZ
I had a great time.  I did the 5k in about 45 minutes.  2 1/2 years ago, I wouldn't have even made it out of the park.  I was worried when I saw how far it was around the route but walking with hundreds of people and talking with a few as I was walking made it easy.  I sped up my pace once out of the park and kept it up.  I got behind someone with a screaming baby and could only take that for about a minute when I forged ahead and got out of earshot.  That mom should have stopped to rest the baby in the shade but she was not going to do that (her words). 

I beat my teammates by a good 3 minutes.  When I got to the volunteers that said I only had 1/4 mile left, I couldn't believe it.  I still had a lot of steam left.  This was a great cause and I had a great time walking.  I'm going to be looking for other 5k or a bit higher walks.

We caught the light rail at 19th & Montebello (Christown mall) and took it to 3rd & Mill which was about 1 block & a half away from the park.  We really enjoyed the whole day and the money I raised went to a great cause.  Now I have to get CPR & AED recertified.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
booyah1
on 2/28/09 4:35 pm

WOW!!!!!! 5 miles in 45 minutes, that is totally AWESOME!!!!!! very impressive! i walked the 1k in 40 minutes & had a great time...
once again you did GREAT !!!
i noticed you are interested in finding some other walkathons if you do please post on OH or shoot me an email..
[email protected]

Ann M.
on 2/28/09 9:36 pm - Peoria, AZ
It really was fun.  A 5k is actually 3.1 miles so I wasn't as fast as you pictured me.  Still a 15 minute mile isn't bad for someone who isn't used to walking that far and someone who wouldn't have even entertained the idea several years ago.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active