I'm struggling. Any advice?

Amazonian
on 2/25/09 11:58 am
Things in my world are messed up right now. I lost my job at the end of Dec., and am trying to be a care provider to my ailing, aging parents who are spending the Winter with me. The supposed after care provider turned out to be a flake, and I'm feeling abandoned.

Food just doesn't cut it anymore as a means of coping, and I don't want to fall back on habits like smoking that used to get me through.

Anyone have thoughts to send my way?

Amazonian.

P.S. There is some good news. I've lost 47 lbs. since before surgery. It's not all bad.
JRinAZ
on 2/25/09 2:53 pm - Layton, UT
Hey there friend,
You have been dealt a huge load of stuff all at once.  WLS by itself is on the top of people's lifechanging experiences.  I can't imagine losing a job AND needing to provide for elderly parents all at the same time.  ((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

How can we help you through this?  Can you leave your parents long enough to attend some support group meetings?  ....  I know when I've had the rug pulled out from under me, I tend to want to just get in the fetal position and rock in a corner forever BUT I know that what helps me pull out of it is to immerse myself amongst people who love me!

Do you have church association or other family members to get support from?

Congrats on the 47 pounds!  That is awesome and nothing to take lightly.....give yourself some major pats on the back for having success amidst major obstacles!

Join me at support meeting next Tuesday at St Luke's?  Grads is 5:30 and the regular group is 6:30.

What type of job are you looking for?  Maybe some of us can help you network.

sending prayers and happy thoughts your way,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/09 11:06 pm, edited 2/25/09 11:07 pm
Hi Carol,
I'm sorry, to hear you are having a difficult time with all the things going on in your world..I agree with the previous poster, it would be really good for you, if you cold get to some support group,
where you will be in the company of others that can understand a little of what you are going through...There's comfort in numbers...I wish I lived near you, so that we could spend time together...I know a little of what it is like to be alone, in a situation, where you just don't feel, you have much control over it...I'm in no way trying to make lite of your current situation, comparing it to mine...I just want you to know, I do care, and I do understand, your since of abandonment and loneliness.
I know the thought of just throwing up your hands and saying oh, what the H...and then... going and picking up an old habit that
is NOT going to HELP you in the long run...Please, just Don't do it...!!!!!!!!! I am here offering my help in a very small way, but I am sincere...I can't do much, but I can be here if you just want to rant and blow off some steam...P.M. me, if you EVER need just a friend to share the thoughts and feelings of your day..!!!!
I will have you in my heart and prayers sweetie...

Amazonian
on 2/27/09 9:12 am
Thanks Joyce and Cyndi. I definitely need to reach out for some hands-on support. Those support meetings sound like a help. I'd like to attend Tuesday's meeting.

The other stuff will have to get addressed over time. Ugh!
Most Active