Help with protein and iron?

flyrep
on 2/18/09 5:40 pm - AZ
Okay Im doing okay with my protein but could do better. Does anyone have anything they use? I eat well. Not a lot but well. I drink much of my protein, that's getting boring. Anyone have anything to offer that high in protein? Also how to buy it?

Whats a good source of iron? ANYTHING will help.

You all are the best!

Much Love,
Shannon

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

AZtyger
on 2/18/09 6:15 pm
I still drink quite a bit of my protein, however I have been adding some things into my diet lately that are higher in protein...   For breakfast I usually have some greek yogurt with different mix-ins  Sometimes it is SF jam, sometimes flavored syrup, even kashi cereal for a crunch factor.   Other days I eat Kashi goLean crunch cereal with skim milk.  I dont eat a lot at all, but somehow I can eat a whole serving of that cereal, and I think it gives me 18 grams of protein with the milk... havent looked up the stats in a while though.

Since surgery, I dont handle meat well at all.  So I have been eating a lot of vegetarian food.  Tonight I had a soy "chicken" patty with low-carb pizza sauce and a slice of muenster cheese on it.  It was good, and I ate fairly slow, but was able to finish most of it.   If I remember correctly, the protein count on that was 20, so very good stats. 

Since I cant eat hardly any food, I am very aware of what I do eat, and try to have foods that are higher in protein... hope this at least gives you some ideas!

Dustin
flyrep
on 2/19/09 10:43 am - AZ
Dustin,

Thanks for the info. What is greek yogurt? I love  Kashi goLean crunch cereal very good stuff! Im not sure I could get into soy though... Is it good? Thanks for replying!

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

AZtyger
on 2/19/09 12:39 pm
greek style yogurt is really thick and kinda tangy, a bit like sour cream.  I buy mine at Trader Joes, but I know that some Wal-Marts and other grocery stores carry it.  A cup of it has 22 grams of protein.  It's also really good with a packet of sugar free chocolate pudding mixed into it, tastes just like chocolate cheesecake!

You know, I didnt think i would like soy based products either, but it surprised me.  I buy the morningstar farms brand at Fry's, and it's pretty good.  For dinner I had some of the veggie bacon and it was really good, a great alternative for me since meat doesnt agree with me. 
Dan T.
on 2/18/09 11:32 pm - Logan, UT
Meat - I eat a lot of meat ,mostly lean meats.  5 oz of lean turkey from Oscar Meyer has 125 calories and 35 grams of protein. 

I do eat protein bars as a 'treat' but avoid the higher carb ones.  Protein bars that I eat range in calores from 190 to 330 and have 20 to 36 grams of protein.

I hate protein drinks and shakes so I don't drink those anymore.  I get some protein from yogurts and cheese as well.  Kraft Fat Free Cheddar has 45 calories in a 1/4 cup serving and 9 grams of protein. 

Oh, I also eat a lot of eggs.  Eggs have some of the best proteins around.  If you are worried about fat then use Egg Beaters.
Dan

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

flyrep
on 2/19/09 10:40 am - AZ

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

I am so with you on this  Franklin knew his stuff!

I eat eggs, a lot. Im going to try the
Oscar Meyer forsure. What about nuts?

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

Lori G.
on 2/20/09 12:05 am - Phoenix, AZ
There are soooo many recipes that are high in protein and low carb on obesityhelp.com. At the top of the page:
Click on forums
Click on weight loss related
Click on recipes

I have downloaded so many recipes that I use at home, parties etc. Also, there are a lot of recipes the bariatriceating.com website. It is great to find foods that you can make that are palatable, and believe me, after 5+ years of eating high protein, low carb, I am always looking for good recipes.

A great place to find Greek yogurt also is at "Fresh and Easy" and "Sprouts"

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Most Active