Trying to make lemonade out of lemons!

Ann M.
on 2/18/09 10:19 am - Peoria, AZ

This has not been a good doctor week for me.  I went to the ENT on Monday because of the mouth sores I've had for the past year that just won't go away.  He wants to do a biopsy on the inside of my cheeks and tongue so he's scheduling a surgery.  He'll take samples from all over and while he's in there, he'll take some stitches to tighten up the inside cheek skin.  There's 2 causes that he can think of for the mouth sores.  One is that I've lost so much weight that the inside cheek skin is sagging and I'm biting it at night.  The other is not so pleasant - mouth cancer.  I'm hoping for the former, which if he tightens the skin up, should take care of the problem. 

Now for the other doctor appt.  I saw the orthopedic surgeon today.  I've been having some really bad shoulder pain for over a week and couldn't see my original surgeon so I got a partner.  They took x-rays and the doc was saying that they looked normal after about 4 views.  When he pulled up the 5th view, he said UH OH!  This isn't good.  Evidently I have a retear in the tendons that hold ball of my shoulder in the socket.  Since it's a re-tear of a re-tear & fix, there is no fixing to it.  It will be painful for the rest of my life and I may lose what little bit of movement I already have (hardly any out to the side and about halfway towards the front).  He put a shot of cortisone in and was hoping that would take the pain away.  I'm still waiting for that to happen.  My physical therapist has already been taping the shoulder with kiniseology tape (like they put on the olympic volleyballers).  That seems to hold the shoulder in most of the time so I think that's where we're headed.  Larry has to learn how to tape.  This doesn't get rid of all the pain, any small movement will sometimes feel like a machete stuck in my shoulder joint but it does work and if I move slowly, I find that I don't get the pain as much.  I cannot be on the computer for more than about 5 minutes at a time and NO mousing with the right arm.  At least I'm able to do my teller job because I'm not on the computer that much for a period of time.  I just have to watch reaching really fast or I pay the price.

I'm wondering if you could all say a little prayer that when they do the biopsy, that it comes back negative.  I don't think I can take another bad outcome on top of this stupid shoulder. 

Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
JRinAZ
on 2/18/09 1:02 pm - Layton, UT
Ann,
Prayers your way sweetie pie and sending kudos and happy thoughts for your heart walk!

Let us know how all the tests turn out ......Hopefully painmanagement can take care of your issues and give you a better quality of life!

Hugggzzz,
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ann M.
on 2/18/09 2:46 pm - Peoria, AZ
Thanks Joyce.  I do have a good pain doc but he's the one who put me on the oxycontin & percocet last time for the pain and I don't want to go that routine again (had a bad experience last week with the oxy).  I will be checking with him to see if the spinal chord stimulator will still work to block the pain of this torn tendon.  I've already been approved by BC/BS for it and if so, will probably go back for the procedure after I see the ortho doc March 11th.  In the meantime, the "K" tape will hold my shoulder in place so it doesn't slip out. 

Larry has been a good nurse before and he's all for learning how to apply the tape so we'll go to the therapist on Monday for that lesson.

How about walking with me in the Heart Walk?  We still need volunteers and I need as many people to talk to so I make it around Tempe Beach Park.

flyrep
on 2/18/09 6:17 pm - AZ
Ann,

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry you are having so many issues. I have learned that we may not always get what want but if we pray we can get what we need.

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

RayM
on 2/19/09 12:47 am - Surprise, AZ
Your in my prayers and thoughts.
FLGail
on 2/19/09 6:12 am - Sun City, AZ
Hi Ann, you are definitely in my prayers. Take care of yourself.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Gail
Ann M.
on 2/19/09 10:15 am - Peoria, AZ
Thank you for the prayers,   They haven't called me yet to schedule the biopsy.  I hope they figure it out in the next few days because I can't change my work schedule very much.

merryterry
on 2/19/09 12:38 pm - AZ
Wow, Ann, I can so relate. I'm sorry you are going through all this.

I spent the weekend in Boswell Hospital with cellulitis and came home Monday evening with a PICC line. I have a very high white count and saw a hemotologist today who all but said definitely I have chronic myelogenous leukemia. And looking at a list symptoms on the Mayo Clinic site, it could very well be. Looks like I have a bone marrow biopsy in my near future. I'm all out of sick days at work.

I'd appreciate prayers, too. I'm trying not to despair. I don't want to be sick. I feel better than I have in a very, very long time-no, make that I feel better than I have ever felt.

Lord, bless out health, keep us strong. Keep our spirits joyful and our eyes on you. Amen.

Less is More

Most Active