Approved!!!!

Ann M.
on 2/17/09 8:06 am - Peoria, AZ
Keep bugging Juarez's office.  Call them twice a day until you get an answer.  They'll get tired of hearing you and get you scheduled.  They might also be waiting for the approval in writing but keep bugging them anyway.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Chris S.
on 2/17/09 9:46 am - Tempe, AZ
I have left 2 phone messages, and 2 emails for the scheduling gal today and yesterday as well as the "old" insurance gal who told me to contact her if I needed help

NONE of them have returned a email or phone call. 

I can't get throught he "gate" to anyone else.  I am half tempted to take a lunch tomorrow and drive there?
JRinAZ
on 2/17/09 9:57 am - Layton, UT
On February 17, 2009 at 5:46 PM Pacific Time, csteley wrote:
I have left 2 phone messages, and 2 emails for the scheduling gal today and yesterday as well as the "old" insurance gal who told me to contact her if I needed help

NONE of them have returned a email or phone call. 

I can't get throught he "gate" to anyone else.  I am half tempted to take a lunch tomorrow and drive there?
What insurance do you have?  I KNOW Dr. Juarez is one of the best in the state BUT.....if someone doesn't want my business then I usually keep shopping!  Y'know?  I had a visit with Dr. Schlesinger today and I'm sure he could get you on his schedule!

Having worked as a Bariatric Coordinator before; I understand though that sometimes our hands are tied until the faxes and/or snail mail confirmation codes are in our hands!  So, maybe they have another 2 zillion that are ax anxious as you and already have their insurance stuff in the office?  That doesn't mean a quick phone call to you to at least show some TLC shouldn't happen   You're the Queen of knowing how to wait for things so none of us can tell you anything you don't already know.......While you wait, how bout asking some of those questions you've got locked in your "soon to be"  LOSER type brain? 

What kind of proteins have you tried?  Do you have some aftercare lined up for a couple of days?  How much time to get off to get your new lifestyle organized?  Want to do lunch?  (just  checking to see if you were really reading my message?!  LOL!)  But seriously....grab a bunch of us chatty loser types and let's nibble some healthy protein together and plan your future!

How bout immersing yourself in some WLS volunteer work?  I have some events on the agenda that could use some helpers!  Call me if you are interested (or if anyone else reading this is interested in getting involved) .... 480.814.7466

How's your back?  Any better?
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Ann M.
on 2/17/09 10:10 am - Peoria, AZ
Joyce, Chris has Aetna and Dr. Juarez is the only surgeon on the list.  She tried to get Schlesinger early on but the insurance wouldn't approve it.  I'm glad Chris has you as another source of info.  I know she truly believes in getting all the information and wants to find out everything she can about the surgery and afterwards.  She has shown great tenacity in coming to support group meetings each month for the last year and I know she's ready for this.  I too wish she could go to Dr. Schlesinger but I doubt if Aetna would allow that at this point. 

Just keep repeating - IT WILL HAPPEN and I'm sure Chris will be getting a call from the doctor's office anytime now.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Chris S.
on 2/17/09 11:54 am - Tempe, AZ

I do alright with most protein drinks I have tried if they do not smell like protein!  I can basically choke down anything if I can get it past my nose.  I am going to get some SF syrups and try that as well. 

Aftercare will be my daughter who lives with me and I wont be able to get my mom to go home, bless her heart and I appreciate it so much but I know when I had my knee surgery a couple days and I was on mom overload. Daughter did not live with me at that time though. 

My back is coming along.  I went one day with no pain and then it went out again. Just had a muscle therapy session tonight which means deep tissue massage that is painful but feels so good.

I would love to have lunch anytime with anyone.  I just love all you chatty losers.

merryterry
on 2/19/09 12:34 am - AZ
YAY!!!! It took me about 11 months from my info seminar to surgery. I figure I can can stick with it to get the surgery, I can do what it takes to be successful! Hooray for persistance!
Less is More

Chris S.
on 2/17/09 11:46 am - Tempe, AZ
Ann just keep telling me that LOL  I swear I have never been a patient person but I am trying really hard.

Joyce - You are such a sweetie.  Like Ann said I am stuck at this point with only one option for surgeon with my insurance and yes a simple one line email of I will get back to you or we are waiting for...... would be wonderful.  I did contact Jen yesterday but at this time I only have one option with my insurance.  Dr S in not in my network :(

I did go see my PCP today and went over my recent blood work.  He wants me to get Iron and vitamin C in me and has put me on metformin until the surgery.  He said everything else looked great. 

One question (weird one too) What is anyone's experience with Butternut Squash.  All I can think of is this would be a perfect pured mushy food that I love love love. I am craving it actually.  If it is something that would be good I will cook up a mountain of it and freeze it now. 
JRinAZ
on 2/17/09 1:41 pm - Layton, UT
No reason you can't have butternut squash as long as there aren't any stringy fibers to mess with your sensitive insides.  You may hold off a bit til you're past the need for total blands.  I seriously doubt you'll want to have a "mountain" of anything ready in the freezer though.  Think newborn baby tummy.....with the toddler stage a few weeks down the road.  I had all these cute little containers of homemade creamed soups ready..........TRASHEd them about 3 months post-op when I realized that I was never going to shove that stuff down me ever again!  Tastes are funny for most post-op so I wouldn't bother with too much stuffed away.  I took advantage of a doting hubby who would run out on errands to fill my every whim (or to escape me as often as possible!  LOL!)  I sent him for many runs of egg drop soup which I understand is a "no no" for some programs early on.  Ask Jenel though....she's great at giving suggestions for people who have specific cravings!  .......  I LOvED Taco Bell refried beans watered down with a little chicken broth.  1 side order fed me 2 meals back in those days!

Check out the recipe section of o.h. for all kinds of ideas on disguising the taste/smells of a protein drink.  My new fave is the Banana Scream by Champion PUre When STack blended with one half of the Dannon Light yogurt smoothies and some ice.  Delish!  I LOVE the s/f syrups dashed in my "hot" chocolate protein drink.

Maybe you should have your mommy take the first day and then tell her how much you love her willingness to help but that you need to figure out your own new healthy future routine?  Probably trample all over feelings though, right?  I'm having a similar dilema right now.  Sometimes it's easier to let them do their thing, bite the bullet and then save bad feelings from happening.  You're lucky to have 2 loving folks to tend to you!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active