love blackberries?

JRinAZ
on 2/12/09 7:09 am - Layton, UT
Soooo.....feeling like some "comfort" food flavors (stress eater here)..  I was cruising around Costco last night and noted that blackberries were the least expensive fruits for once! 

I googled blackberry recipes and came up with my own version of blackberry bread pudding!

Egg beaters, vanilla soy milk, whole wheat bread torn up and soaked into the egg/soy mixture...I dumped tons of cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, stevia and layered with blackberries.  I zapped in the microwave for 4 minutes with a saran cover.

I scooped a portion into a bowl with a spoonful of cool whip light!

Oh my gosh!  This was delish!  Few calories and farely high protein.  Not totally no carb but certainly low carb since blackberries are a low glycemic fruit.

Treat your tastebuds to something wonderful and step out of the ordinary!!!! 

Anyone else try anything yummy recently?  Plz share
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/12/09 8:53 am, edited 2/12/09 8:55 am - Phx, AZ

Howdy Joyceeee:

I do love blackberries!  I esp love strawberries.  Blueberries I love too.........But........not since the revision.....  Icky, stinky, gassy poop.  That's all for that.

Recipes:
My hub and I love salmon.  I buy either the whole fillet or the bag of 7 frozen fillets at Costco.  I make this one of 2 ways:

1. Salmon W/Cream Cheese
     1 - 3" x 8" frozen Salmon Fillet
     1/3 of an 8 oz pkg Cream Cheese
     Several large Mushrooms
     1/2 c Red Onion
     1 t honey
     2 T Olive Oil
     1 t Butter
     Squeeze of Lemon Juice

Mix the ingredients...I mix the oil/butter/cream
          cheese together and nuke them until soft.  Place
          a 3" x 8" portion of FROZEN salmon in a glass 
          baking dish (sm), which has been lightly drizzled
          w/olive oil.  Spread the remaining ingredients over
          the salmon.  Cover it all w/a piece of plastic wrap.
          Microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes.  OOOOooohhh,
          this is SO good!!!

2.  SALMON w/Lemon Pepper
     1 Frozen Salmon Fillet
     EVOO
     Butter
     Lemon Pepper

Drizzle sm glass baking dish with the Olive Oil.
           Drizzle some Olive Oil and a t Butter onto the 
           salmon.  Sprinkle w/Lemon Pepper.  Microwave on
           HIGH for 4 minutes (covered w/plastic wrap).

We usually eat salmon, flaked, on salad, which we load with tomatoes, apple, strawberries, onion, cucumbers, mushrooms, peppers, oranges, etc, etc, etc.  YUM!

UNfortunately, I am CRAVING something sweet, and this a.m. a student on my bus gave me chocolate-covered peanuts (clusters).......  OMG it was SO good..... and now I am just awaiting the "blast" tonight when it hits my lower intestines.....should be a fun night.  I am not PMSing... but POST MSing..... Ug.

But as for sweet stuff.... we like strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries ('cept those) as they "swim" in 1/2 and 1/2.  IT's so good.

JRinAZ
on 2/12/09 11:26 pm - Layton, UT
Good mornin Miss Lizzie G!

Great recipes.  I do similar with the Lemon Pepper but prefer halibut or orange roughy with that recipe.  I am definitely going to try the salmon cream cheese.  I'll bet it is yummeeeee....has 2 of my favorite ingredients in it...can't go wrong, right?!!!

Mmmmmm......I get to have fish for lunch today then shrimp with the kids tonight then crab with hubby tomorrow then Sunday is the salmon day!  .......I'm just a fishy kind of gal I guess!!!

Happy Friday to you!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/09 6:56 am, edited 2/13/09 6:57 am - Phx, AZ
Howdy Joyceee!

Oh, I need to clarify something about that salmon..... a 3" x 8" piece is something that my hubby and I SPLIT.  I could never eat all that, plus salad...or veggies or anything.  Yes, hubby splits that sm piece... if you noticed in our recent photo, he is a small guy... (the Johnny Carson kind, you know)... but I always clobber him with the, "You are just PERFECT with your small portions, slow eating, and eating all the right foods to be with someone like I was and am now forced to be!!!"  No emotional eating there, and I can't figure it out, except he is some sort of Alien Being, beamed here from some vegetarian planet where they had to ration their portions from birth.  Ug.  Go figure.  I, on the other hand, come from the land of Fat and Extreme..... sounds like some sort of new reality TV show, eh?  I am beginning to HATE those perfect-types..... no emotional eating, no overeating, no bad foods, no anger issues, no emotional baggage, not a mean streak in his body, always kind, always happy, always looking for the good in others...........
GOOD GRIEF!!!  I AM NEEDING TO EAT SOMETHING JUST TO DEAL WITH THIS MAN!!!!!!!

On a more realistic note, I am thankful for the end to this week that I would not wish to go thru again.  I am enjoying my PM coffee as I type (a vice I began after my RNY), and am planning NOTHING for the evening.....  Tomorrow around noon, I plan on going to my BRO/SIL's to paint more on a mural that I am in the midst of.  I shall send you a pic of the complete project... it's about 10'x8'; 80% done.

You have yourself a FISHY good weekend.  More later, I am sure.
Deanne K.
on 2/12/09 10:08 am - Tucson, AZ
I so love the Blackberries.  I love to just eat them whole. 
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/09 6:47 am - Phx, AZ
Hi Deanne:

When I lived in the Seattle area, we had blackberry bushes growing wild all over the place... I used to can them, freeze them, make pies, make jam, make pancakes w/em.... no wonder I got so HUGE.  (Well, it was all the carbs that you need to go w/them!).....  Hope all is well w/you.  I am recup-ing well... almost 3 months out now, and I can't figure where the time has gone. 

Keep on Keepin' on!
AZtyger
on 2/18/09 6:09 pm
that sounds really good!   Unfortunately bread in any form still doesnt like me LOL

I do love blackberries though.  I make a salad that I enjoyed pre-op but now LOVE post op.  It may sound a bit odd, but trust me it's really good!  I just toss some lettuce, whole blackberries, and a bit of homemade chunky salsa together with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper.  It's really yummy!  Pre-surgery I would add sliced deli turkey to it also, but now cant do the turkey, so this way still works for me!  Now I usually add a few grilled shrimp to it, or if I am in the mood a sea scallop that has been seared.  This way I still get my protein in somewhat. 

I also add SF blackberry jam (Trader Joes has one that is AMAZING) to greek yogurt a lot of times for breakfast. 
Most Active