Thwarted already????

charlotte180
on 2/12/09 5:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had gone to see my PCP to get a referral to a WL surgeon, and I called them 2 days ago to let them know who I wanted to see (Dr. Juarez). My PCP's office told me to give it a couple of days. So I called her back just now, and she told me that it hasn't been authorized yet, she was told it may take up to four days. Tthen she told me, if they authorize it at all!  I asked if I could call my insurance to speed it up and she told me it wouldn't do any good, that the insurance co. is really hesitant to approve bariatrics, they want to see 6 months of supervised diet. (I have APIPA now).  

I'm just amazed here. Are they really going to stop me from even getting a referral?? Is there anything I can do?
Chris S.
on 2/12/09 6:51 am - Tempe, AZ
I really do not want to discourage you but it is never a simple process. 

Personally I am going on a year of waiting for approval for surgery.  I have done the 6 months and was denied, have done the three month multi-disiplinary, have done the psych eval, nutrition classes, support groups, bariatric classes, have lung clearance, heart clearance, have been to just about every doctor you can imagine and I am still waiting for a decision on my appeal. 

I can't even get a response from Dr Juarez office as to when I could possibly be scheduled if I do get approval. 

As everyone keeps telling me, don't give up and try to have patience because you will need it.
ginau
on 2/12/09 11:07 am - mesa, AZ

With Dr's Schlesinger & Simon   moving to tempe - ya might want to give their office a call. they are  not as busy as Bridges and  can most likely get you in quicker. I think now that they are part of  St Lukes - they accept more ins plans . 

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Christina82581
on 2/12/09 9:58 pm - Laveen, AZ
It took myself and my husband almost a year to get an approval. I suggest that you do find out weather or not Dr., Schlesinger takes your ins. I started with Dr. Juarez and when I couldn't get any response or returned phone calls from the office, I called Dr. Schlesinger. Jen had me and my husband approved for surgery in little over a week. Don't discourage. You will get it done.

137 Pounds and Counting.
We Are All In This Together!!!
Love and Blessings, Christina

Chris S.
on 2/12/09 11:38 am - Tempe, AZ
Oh.......now that gives me a thought?

Wonder if Dr S takes my insurance now being associated with Tempe St Lukes?  He was out of network for me before......

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm now the wheels are turning!
charlotte180
on 2/12/09 1:28 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Does the approval really depend on the surgeon?  I thought it was a decision that the insurance company made, and if they approve you, you can pretty much see anyone in network?
Most Active