Loose skin

hebejebbies
on 2/12/09 1:27 pm - Peoria, AZ
Ok all,
I know that we are all going to get here. I will be 4 months out from my surgery. And down 63 lbs. I am starting to notice the skin sagging. So my question would be. What types of exercise would help to try and stay on top of it. And try to do the best I can. I am currently walking about 8 miles a week on the treadmill and riding the bike. I also do some weight training. So if anyone has some ideas please throw them my way.

Thanks in advance for some advise. And congratulations on all the hard work everyone is doing. It deserves a big pat on the back.

mikiec
on 2/12/09 1:50 pm - Peoria, AZ
NO real way to counteract it.  The skin has lost it's elasticity.  I asked about it during my consult with Dr. Sprunger.  He said it's normal.  Also, that I should not consider Plastic Surgery for at least 1.5 years out.

I have a couple of friends that are 2 to 10 years out.  The skin did not return to normal levels.

Mike

JRinAZ
on 2/12/09 11:58 pm - Layton, UT
High Fives!  Wow!  Big Congrats!  Weigh 2 go!!!

That's an amazing weight loss in just 4 months!

though our skin is often damaged to the point of losing all it's elasticity or most....we can still "fill in" some of that loose skin with some healthy muscle.

You are on track for a very healthy workout routine.  Personal Trainers are awesome to help you mix it up and find new options for specific body parts OR just ask healthy looking people at the gym when you're working out.  My $$ haven't always been available for personal trainers so I always milk info out of willing workout pals!  LOL!  In fact, if you google David Smith....he's lost over 400 pounds and has just got his personal trainer certification.  He is helping me build some strength/muscle!

HOWEVER....after the weight loss and after the big workouts....there's probably the trophy loose skin hanging around as a reminder of who you used to be.  Though some of us like that reminder; I prefer to just keep a few pieces of my BIG clothes and some reality photos.  The loose skin needs to go bye bye!  LOL!  There are options of every type.  If you want to just  chat about it then give me a call.  I LOVE helping my WLS buds through their plastics journey!  480.814.7466

In fact, I'll be over to your Dr. Blackstone support group on May 20th with my boss, Dr. Mazaheri to present plastic surgery options.  IF you're there then you'll get a HUGE procedure discount which will be good for one full year!

People wonder when they're ready and honestly that's up to YOU and your body.  There are many procedures that can be done before you've finished your weight loss but for the big body lift or Tummy tuck, you want to be stabilized with your weight loss for several weeks.  The myth that some well meaning docs pass along is that you have to weigh your goal weight BEFORE you have reconstructive plastic surgery.  NOT So.....My plastic surgeon's philosophy is that "everyone has their OWN skinny"....meaning we are all built different, with different dynamics, et and someone may be well over their ideal body weight but can find a gorgeous, sexy shape underneath the bucket loads of loose skin.  Sometimes that last weight is simply thrown away....and it is not uncommon for people to loose additonal weight after their plastic surgery.  It's like puting on your jeans after washing them in ho****er and drying on high.  You don't feel like you want to eat much when you can't loosen your belt!  LOL! 

I'm babbling....but just wanted to cheer you on with the gym effort and encourage you to research the rest of the picture as well!

Enjoy your journey!  LOSER'S ROCK!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/09 7:11 am - Phx, AZ

Joyceee:

Send me some info RE this "plastic surgery options" you will be presenting w/Dr. M...  Are you going to be presenting this info before that?  If so where, when, etc?  I am interested in any sort of discount, of course..... How far in advance should I get a consult w/him?  Please let me know.

Lizzie G
Your Fish Pal

juniecat
on 2/14/09 10:01 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
Wow..WTG with your loss so far!!
My suggestion is to consider joining Curves for Women...I've been a member of Curves for over 8 years and even when my weight has been up and down my skin has always stayed nice & firm(even over my big belly and rear end ).  Curves will give you a free week to try it b/4 you join I think. I love that it is a 30 minute work out( that combines aerobics & strength training with hydralics), it is only women and they are always friendly & supportive.
As an added note when I was having a pedicure recently I was telling my nail tech that I was having  lapband surgery and that I was concerned about loose skin. She massages my feet and legs up to the knees as part of the pedicure and she said that I have nice firm skin so she didn't think I'd have a problem. (She's been my nail tech for over 5yrs so I share stuff with her...not like I'm telling everyone I meet about my surgery...lol)

Junie

Most Active